WD My Book Longevity?

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I added a 3TB WD My Book USB hard drive to my WD TV Live Plus media player last fall and it seems to be humming along quite well. I have two other media players, an Iomega with a built in 1TB drive and the other, an Android TV box with a USB 1TB Seagate drive. I'm happy with the the performance of both hard drives but I like the form factor of the WD My book much better. I would like to replace the 1TB drive from the Android with another WD My Book and move the 1TB Seagate and plug it into the Iomega. What are your thoughts on the WD My Book?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Hard drives are a point of failure for all systems. I have had my WorldBook for five+ years now and it keeps chugging along nicely, but I do worry about failure. I decided to switch to a RAID system to backup all my drives to and now have 30TB of networked attached storage, in a RAID configuration to protect the data better. It wasn't 'cheap' to setup, but about $700-$1,000 per unit, with each unit supporting about 5TB.

I have no problems with my WorldBook, I like it, and if it works well for you, then great. But, do remember that hard drives fail and if you have important data, you will want a backup of that data in a good location.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Hard drives are a point of failure for all systems. I have had my WorldBook for five+ years now and it keeps chugging along nicely, but I do worry about failure. I decided to switch to a RAID system to backup all my drives to and now have 30TB of networked attached storage, in a RAID configuration to protect the data better. It wasn't 'cheap' to setup, but about $700-$1,000 per unit, with each unit supporting about 5TB.

I have no problems with my WorldBook, I like it, and if it works well for you, then great. But, do remember that hard drives fail and if you have important data, you will want a backup of that data in a good location.

The data stored on the WD is replicated across the other two media servers so if I ever lose an external disk, I simply buy a new external disk and do a copy. Its inefficient I realize but I do have data protection.

jinjuku

jinjuku

A point needs to be made:

RAID isn't backup. RAID is increased availability in case of a some HD failure. The amount of failure depends on the RAID configuration and what it will tolerate.

If you get a CryptoWare virus on a single drive computer or a NAS RAID you are still in the same tough spot.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
A point needs to be made:

RAID isn't backup. RAID is increased availability in case of a some HD failure. The amount of failure depends on the RAID configuration and what it will tolerate.

If you get a CryptoWare virus on a single drive computer or a NAS RAID you are still in the same tough spot.
Agreed.. RAID redundancy against physical disk loss like you say depending on the raid configuaration. It doesn't prevent data corruption from occuring from a virus. It promotes in fact :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis