Ways to improve dialogue

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
add +3 db to center speaker level

listening to other party and larger vocabulary helps to carry more intelligent conversations and improve dialog :rolleyes:

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
add +3 db to center speaker level

listening to other party and larger vocabulary helps to carry more intelligent conversations and improve dialog :rolleyes:

Not sure what you're suggesting. The+3db part I get.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Can you show a pic of the placement of your center?

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
I should have said more understandable. I've tried different speakers and still have problems understanding .

Increasing volume is one way but there is a limit. Just looking for other, serious ways.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I should have said more understandable. I've tried different speakers and still have problems understanding .

Increasing volume is one way but there is a limit. Just looking for other, serious ways.
other ways, include re-running Auto-EQ, improving room acoustics and upgrading center speaker.

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
Currently I'm using a BW 686 center positioned in the center (duh) at the same height as my front speakers which are 9ft from me.

Upgrade to?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
One photo will be worth a thousand words...

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Move the center to match edge of credenza and try to insert rear port plug.

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
Thanks for the suggestion I'll try that.

Ps; dog uses them more than me.....if they were mine I wouldn't leave them on the floor

Last edited:
WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

If your receiver has dedicated EQ for the center channel, increase the siblings (+4 dB or so on the 6-7 kHz range) and /or reduce lower-end bloom (-4-6 dB on the 200 Hz range).

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
It's possible that congested area around the speakers is making the off-axis response a larger factor than it would be otherwise, and that center speaker design does not have a very promising off-axis response. Refer to this post.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I would get rid of the grill too and point the tweeter towards ear. Put something underneath the center(try front or back) to point more in the ear.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis