Watching Blu-Ray when audio just dropped off

Shek5150

Shek5150

Audioholic
Greetings good people of Audioholics.com,

I was recently watching the Blu-Ray version of "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" . . . and at about the half way point (6 hrs in ) when the audio just dropped . . . there were no precipitating indicators, just silence.

My TV is 2 or 3 years old; but the AVR & BP are less than 6 months old:

- Samsung UN55C8000
- Denon AVR 4311
- Oppo 103
((don't know that it matters but there's also an Emotiva XPA-5 in the chain)

IN any case, has anyone had this happen? Any thoughts on what it might be?

I've probably watched no more than a dozen movies w/ his gear & this has never before occurred.

Also, I paused the movie and just turned the AVR off/on and then I was back in business . . . still disturbing none-the-less.

Well, I think that's about all the info I can think of that might be helpful . . . I appreciate anyone taking the time to reply.

Regards,

Shek5150

Last edited:
96cobra10101

96cobra10101

Senior Audioholic
It's hard to say, but since you turned off/on power to the AVR, it may be the culprit. But also, if you have a 12 trigger plugged into the XPA, it probably reset that too. Were the lights orange on it?
Your AVR is like a computer, so you have basically reset it when cycling the power. Did it seem warmer than normal? My Denon 4810 runs pretty hot so I keep all the vents clear of obstruction.
If it does it again do this, cycle power on the Emo first, if still no audio then stop the Bluray and restart the movie. Still no sound, cycle the power on the Oppo. Still no audio, switch to a different audio source on the AVR. If you get audio, switch back to the Oppo input. Still no audio there, try reinserting the audio cable. If you get audio, it may be a bad cable. What are you using for audio cable wise? HDMI, Optical, Coax...? Is tv sourced from the AVR for video or straight from the Oppo? You'll have to do a little investigating next time it does it narrow down the culprit.

Shek5150

Shek5150

Audioholic
^^

96Cobra~

Sorry, I should have mentioned connections . . .

1) I am using the 12 trigger plug on the Emo
2) I have HDMI cables (decently priced ones from Monoprice; not real expensive or cheap) running from Oppo -to- AVR -to- TV
3) And then the interconnects from the AVR to the Emo; and since I'm really just getting back into the AV/HT world-I currently just running 5.1, w/ using all five channels of the Emo. to power my speakers.

Well, 96Cobra, I appreciate you taking the time to reply & I will try your suggestions if it occurs again . . . . something intermittent like that drives me nuts . . . at least w/ something that's constant (extraneous audio artifacts) you have something to work with . . . now I've got to wait for this to occur again & hopefully remember this post . . . grrrrrr :mad:

Shek5150

96cobra10101

96cobra10101

Senior Audioholic
At the very least you should be able to pinpoint the equipment causing the issue. Btw the way, if you have sub coming off the AVR, and no sound was coming from there either when the speakers cut out, you can elimante the XPA from the equation when trouble shooting.

Shek5150

Shek5150

Audioholic
I do have a sub (SVS SB13 Ultra); however, it wasn't really a base heavy scene in the movie when it cut out. So, even though there was no sound emanating from it . .. I'm not sure if it's just because no content was being sent to it at that time--not sure . . . but thanks . . . I'll keep that in mind.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis