wanted: small speaker recommendation

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
As I get closer to getting my living room in shape. I want to upgrade the speakers in my secondary (bedroom) system. I'm currently running some old Klipsch KSB 1.1s without a sub. This system won't get a ton of use. It's mostly overflow from the living room. I have a NAD 755 receiver, a 40" Sony 720p tv, a VCR, DVD and a couple of game consoles. I plan to move my turntable there at some point.

On to requirements:
Small, lightweight monitors with a good treble/midrange and as much good bass as possible within those limitations.
Max weight: 15 pounds each
Budget: $200-$300/pair

I may add a smallish sub down the road but would appreciate some bass in the mean time.

I have considered the DefTech SM350s which I have seen for about $200/pair new. Also considered Aperion Intimus 4B or 5Bs.

Do you know of any killer bargains in this area?

Jim

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
I recommend the Energy RC-10s :D

I don't know if they will be small enough for your needs, but they are light enough and have a pretty decent bass response imo.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I'm honestly asking myself the same question. I've looked at all the speakers mentioned and it's difficult to make a decision without hearing them first. I'm leaning toward the HSU HB1 MK2 based on the 30 day trial, plus they seem to be well received. Anyone on here have any experience with those?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
for 200-300 if you willing to take a chance - Speakers - In this price point - getting Ribbon is quite rare and unusual
That's not always a good thing :) I've heard a fair number of ribbon speakers and really liked only a very small number of them.

Maybe Audioengine P4? Integrated mounting.

http://audioengineusa.com/Audioengine-P4#.UGtLOK6Jv_A

The killer deal is the Infinity P153 for $107 a pair from Frys, but in-store only.

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/deals-deals-deals/81762-infinity-primus-153s-@frys-$107-google-page-ranking.html

Last edited:
B

bikemig

Audioholic Chief
The P-4s are really great. I run them in my office using the N-22 amp. My new office has a desk hutch credenza and the speakers clearly benefit from being near a boundary. They sounded good before; they sound really good now.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
HTM-200se 's I believe they are 10lbs each, nice small enclosure, I have a set in my theater and my wife has a set in her "yoga" room.. They sound awesome...

macddmac

macddmac

Audioholic General
I'll second the E-41s- I have the beryllium versions and for a smaller room, they are an amazing value. Bass is very impressive for the thier size. Also, 12 lbs each :)
Cheers,Mac

Last edited:
N

nogaro

Full Audioholic
I'll third the E-41s, although I've only heard the E-41Bs. I was told that they are quite similar. Do check out Gene's review on them.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
The problem with the E-41 that have been recommended is that they have no bass below 80hz and I actually cross my E-41B over to the sub at 100hz. The "B" were a darn good near field speaker for a desk - as long as you're using them with a good sub but I wouldn't use them on their own. The don't have the output potential for any distance and they don't have any bass.

macddmac

macddmac

Audioholic General
The problem with the E-41 that have been recommended is that they have no bass below 80hz and I actually cross my E-41B over to the sub at 100hz. The "B" were a darn good near field speaker for a desk - as long as you're using them with a good sub but I wouldn't use them on their own. The don't have the output potential for any distance and they don't have any bass.
I use an Emotiva ultra 10 crossed at 100 with my e41b's now in my office. Prior to that I had the bookcase corners shore up the bass response and was pretty satisfied with their performance.

N

nogaro

Full Audioholic
I do agree with that. However, I will add that having them close to a back wall can provide passable bass in a small/medium room until the OP adds a sub. If they are going to be located away from the back wall, then a sub will likely be needed right away. I also have a pair of RC-10s that I can recommend for placement away from a wall. Impressive bass for its size, with a slightly laidback presentation.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis