Want a new recevier, constrained by height of shelves...have contenders and questions

S

Substance-P

Audioholic
It's been a long time since I last purchased a receiver (my Yamaha from 7 years ago is still going strong), but I am wanting to begin to update my setup.

Currently I have a Sony XBR 40 inch CRT (that big 300lb plus HDTV they used to make), Klipsch speakers (currently just the front three are hooked up due to getting hardwood floors added in the family room) and a Definitive powered 12 inch sub. I don't yet have a BlueRay DVD player and am just using an "Upconverting" basic DVD, and a Wii

We are likely moving in the next 18 months or so and I will do a more complete overhaul on the home theater then, but in the interim I am interested in doing a couple of things:
1) Get a receiver that is iPod ready and XM/Sirius ready
2) Get a receiver that can scale/upconvert video signals (if that even makes sense for my setup).

Two of hurdles are as follows:
1) This mammoth Sony only sits on its own stand which has a maximum height of 7 inches on either shelf. This means that I am limited in my receiver options
2) The TV is not true 1080p, only 720P or 1080i, and does not have a HDMI in, only a DVI in (I have an adapter for it to go to HDMI).

Based on what I've read the past couple of days, the Yamaha RX-V663 (6 3/4 inch height), the Onkyo TX-SR606 (6 7/8 inches high [probably too close of a fit]), the Harman Kardon AVR 347 (6 5/8 inches high) or AVR 254 (6 1/2 inches high) all look like options. I also looked into the Denon AVR788 or AVR888 (each 6 3/4 inches high).

I want something that will provide some of the new features availables (in particular my wife would really like a nice iPod feature) but recognize that this will likely not have to be the receiver I grow into with my more large scal HT changes in a couple of years.

Does anyone have a sense of how much of a space I should leave for clearance on a shelf so that the unit doesn't overheat? Luckily, the shelves are part of an open tv stand

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I've been out of the home electronics game for a while and boy has it passed me by! If I missed a receiver that would be a good fit (literally), let me know.

Thanks for any and all input

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
those heights do not seen large enough to provide air circulation hpefully with your speakers them amp will not have to work so hard. Can the equipment be located away from the display? Where is/will the center chanel be located?

S

Substance-P

Audioholic
Unfortunately, as of right now, there is not a lot of flexability in relocating equipment. Right now the center chanel is located on top of the TV. The unit is in a corner, and there is no way to pull it out far enough to give more distance between the front speakers to accommodate relocating the receiver (one of the downfalls of a GIANT TV...this thing is so deep it limits us in placement...I was amazed when I helped my Brother move his LCD TV that was 50% larger than my TV and weighs 25% as much).

I don't have enough posts to attach a picture; however, if you go to amazon and do a search on SONY KV-40XBR800 you will see a picture of the stand we have to use.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
I think most here have seen the size of that tube:eek: Rotel or other class d supplied units might be something to consider.

S

Substance-P

Audioholic
That is a good idea to minize the height of the unit; unfortunately, those (Rotels, etc.) tend to be at a different price point from what I have been looking into. If I can't find an affordable option with my current set-up, I might just wait for another couple of years.

C

CAVU

Audioholic Intern
stand which has a maximum height of 7 inches on either shelf.
I have my RX-V663 in an equipment rack and the shelf the AVR sits on is only 7". It has a glass door on the front (not airtight) and openings in the back for wiring. I run it pretty hard and it has never gotten 'hot'. My Motorola and Pace DVRs, on the other hand, put out a LOT of heat but I have mounted a small 12v computer cooling fan behind each DVR, which I am powering with 5v from the USB connectors on the DVRs, and they keep the units cool. Because I am using only 5v on a 12v fan, they run slowly and VERY quiet.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
One inch of clearance at the top is certainly not ideal but if the stand is open on the front and back that mitigates the problem a little bit because you'll still get decent airflow around the sides of the receiver and from front to back.

C

CAVU

Audioholic Intern
A zillion times cheaper than those mentioned by majorloser is the "NK360 Laptop Cooler Pad" which can be had from Geeks.com for $8.99 each.

The unit is the size of a sheet of letterhead and 1" high. It has 3 fans, is very quiet (20dBA), and can be powered by the USB ports on your device.

It draws 30 cu.ft. of hot air per minute out of the unit and sends it out the back (or front).

S

Substance-P

Audioholic
Thanks for all of the responses thus far. It sounds like it is doable, I may just have to be creative with some cooling solutions. It might be difficult to add some of the cooling options as even the little bit of height some of them add might push me over the limit.

In terms of which receiver, any strong recommendations one way or the other. I am open to other options around the same price point ($500).

Thanks again.

tn001d

tn001d

Senior Audioholic
Denon receivers run very cool. Wait and get the new 2809ci model or 2309 depending on your budget.

Stay away from Onkyo, especially if you dont have fire insurance.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Unfortunately, as of right now, there is not a lot of flexability in relocating equipment. Right now the center chanel is located on top of the TV. The unit is in a corner, and there is no way to pull it out far enough to give more distance between the front speakers to accommodate relocating the receiver (one of the downfalls of a GIANT TV...this thing is so deep it limits us in placement...I was amazed when I helped my Brother move his LCD TV that was 50% larger than my TV and weighs 25% as much).

I don't have enough posts to attach a picture; however, if you go to amazon and do a search on SONY KV-40XBR800 you will see a picture of the stand we have to use.
The receiver does not have to be located between the front speakers; it can be anywhere in the room (or even outside the room), so long as the wires are long enough to reach, and not so long that they cause too much signal loss. My advice is to put the receiver some place other than between the front speakers (since you say there is no room there), so you can put it on a stand with enough space around it for ventilation.

Alternatively, do as jcPanny suggests, and remove one of the shelves, so that there will be adequate space above the receiver for cooling.

S

Substance-P

Audioholic
I found a good deal on the RX-V663 and the Yamaha iPod adapter so I pulled the trigger on them and should have them in before too long.

S

Substance-P

Audioholic
Depending on how installation goes, I think I will be able to put in a cooling pad; unfortunately, I am limited on how I can reorganize the current setup due to room constraints. The unit only has two shevles and fixed heights, so reorganizing the stand is not an option. I might be able to relocate the receiver if I can move the sub and add a small stand for the receiver.

Here is a link to a pic of the tv/stand combo I am working with. I am hoping the open nature of the sides and back will mitagate the close clearance up top http://www.amazon.com/SONY-KV-40XBR800-Trinitron-Wega-Color/dp/B0000789GB/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1212759214&sr=8-1

Thanks again for all your help, I'll post updates.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
just a note, some some pioneer models have side vents in their chassis

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis