Wall outlet question

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Simple question that I don't know the answer to. I have my Belkin 60 surge protector plugged into a single wall outlet. The Belkin has both my amp. pre and cd player plugged into it... On the same outlet I plugged my subwoffer in. Does this have any ill effect on a load or draw on the same outlet? Just want to make sure I am OK. My sub's cord isn't long enough to reach another outlet on the other side of the room so I am forced to use one outlet.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Assuming that your house is wired correctly, the worst that "should" happen is tripping a breaker. If you try to draw more power than is safe, the breaker should trip. I would say that if you aren't throwing the breaker then you should be OK.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Agreed. Most electrical lines are rated for 15 amps (I believe). If your outlet looks like a "normal" outlet with two vertical lines and a grounding hole, then it's a 15-amp outlet. It's possible that you could have a 15-amp outlet on a 20-amp breaker line, but as slippery mentioned, that would not be wired correctly - if that was the case, you could overload the outlet before tripping the breaker (or fuse, depending on your house).

I seriously doubt that you'd ever have a problem. I use to have my entire system running through a Belkin that showed the amps and voltage, and I don't remember ever seeing it go above 4 or 5 amps.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Thanks. Never has it thrown the breaker. I hope this house is fine. It's was built 9 years ago. Sometimes these newer houses are crap though.:D

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
If you're still curious, you can total the wattage of all your equipment.
A 15-amp circuit gets you 1800 watts. You'll never come close, since since your amp and sub will never draw full load.
Breakers trip thermally, so your type of load wouldn't get close to tripping a breaker. A linear load like two toasters would do it.

It is possible and legal to have 15-amp devices on a 20-amp circuit.
The code say's on a 20-amp circuit you can use either 15 or 20-amp receptacles. A 20-amp plug won't fit into a 15-amp device due to the plug's configuration. Receptacles don't carry the full circuit ampacity, the are attached with pig tails. So the device only sees the load of what is plugged into it.

Check your load center, you may have 20-amp circuits in that place.

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
A dual 15A receptacle has the very same internal parts as a dual 20A receptacle. So if a dual 15A receptacle is correctly wired in a 20A circuit, it can handle the total 20 Amps.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
A dual 15A receptacle has the very same internal parts as a dual 20A receptacle. So if a dual 15A receptacle is correctly wired in a 20A circuit, it can handle the total 20 Amps.
Yes, agree.
I was going to edit and elaborate; I'm always rushing when posting while at work. :D
A 15 amp receptacle is capable of feeding through the 20 amp circuit; even though they shouldn't be wired that way.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
If you're still curious, you can total the wattage of all your equipment.
A 15-amp circuit gets you 1800 watts. ....
There is a lesson in that for people thinking about adding massive power amps to their systems. The circuit to which one plugs in one's gear is a limiting factor in the kind of power one can get out of it and send to one's speakers.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Assuming that your house is wired correctly, the worst that "should" happen is tripping a breaker. If you try to draw more power than is safe, the breaker should trip. I would say that if you aren't throwing the breaker then you should be OK.
How far is that room from the panel? If it is a long run I would plug the sub to a separate outlet. I agree with everyone that from the loading stand point you should be well within the limit but during the coincidental peaks (the ATI and the Rythmik F12) you may have enough voltage drop that could affect performance.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
There is a lesson in that for people thinking about adding massive power amps to their systems. The circuit to which one plugs in one's gear is a limiting factor in the kind of power one can get out of it and send to one's speakers.
My ears bleeding is usually the first limiting factor before getting to that kind of power :eek::D

Or at least my GF is the limiting factor.

B

big2bird

Junior Audioholic
How far is that room from the panel? If it is a long run I would plug the sub to a separate outlet. I agree with everyone that from the loading stand point you should be well within the limit but during the coincidental peaks (the ATI and the Rythmik F12) you may have enough voltage drop that could affect performance.
Chances are, the next closest receptacle is on the same circuit, rendering that a moot point.

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
Yes, agree.

A 15 amp receptacle is capable of feeding through the 20 amp circuit; even though they shouldn't be wired that way.
Sure they should, it's standard operating procedure. OK there have to be two 15A receptacle's on the circuit. The only difference between a 15A & a 20A receptacle is the plug that can be plugged into the 20A unit.

B

big2bird

Junior Audioholic
Why should I upgrade my listening room receptacles?
The typical receptacles in your home are rated at 15 amps. The receptacle we offer is rated at 20 amps which means that it contains larger metal elements for better power transfer and clamping to the plug that is inserted into it. These are what provide the improvements!

From Morrow Cables. BS in print.LOL
I know for a fact this claim is incorrect.
I need to show this to my buddy at Hubbell

Last edited:
B

big2bird

Junior Audioholic
Hubbell makes some nice stuff.
Yes, they do. My comment was pointed at Morrow Cables, that sells them claiming they are heavier duty than their 15 amp receptacle. Simply not true. The interior parts are the same.

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
Why should I upgrade my listening room receptacles?
The typical receptacles in your home are rated at 15 amps. The receptacle we offer is rated at 20 amps which means that it contains larger metal elements for better power transfer and clamping to the plug that is inserted into it. These are what provide the improvements!
NO. Once again........
The dual 15A receptacle is rated at a total of 20 Amps!
The only difference between a 15A and a 20A dual receptacle is the type of plug that you can insert in the 20 Amp receptacle.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Sure they should, it's standard operating procedure.
Just so we're on the same page.
Receptacles shouldn't be wired as 'pass through' devices. They should be added to the circuit with pig tails, so in case of the receptacle's failure or bad connection at one of its screw terminals, it won't cause the entire circuit to fail.

OK there have to be two 15A receptacle's on the circuit.
Why?

The only difference between a 15A & a 20A receptacle is the plug that can be plugged into the 20A unit.
I still agree.

B

big2bird

Junior Audioholic
NO. Once again........
The dual 15A receptacle is rated at a total of 20 Amps!
The only difference between a 15A and a 20A dual receptacle is the type of plug that you can insert in the 20 Amp receptacle.
Perhaps you need to re read my post. That is Morrow Cables claim, not mine. I have been an electrician since 1979. I KNOW better

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis