Vudu Annonces Disc to Digital Service

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Vudu and Walmart are allowing you to take your existing DVD and Blu-ray collection, pay $2 a disc, and get access to a digital copy. If you want an SD copy (from a DVD) converted to Vudu's HDX (1080p/Dolby Digital Plus surround), that'll cost you $5.

Read article: Vudu Disc to Digital Service - Now from Home!

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I thought that they were already doing this. Maybe I just remember an article that said that they were thinking about doing it.

We're not sure how they are checking that you and your friends aren't just sharing all your discs so that you can all have a huge movie collection for just $2 a pop, but we're betting they have some way of doing that (or they just don't care).
My guess is that they figure if your friends have them, then you could just rip them anyway, and this way they get $2/movie out of it. :) I wonder how much money the studios get from each one.

EDIT: Oh, and one other thing. If I would actually have to physically go into Walmart and spend time in there *shivers*, then they should be paying me to do this.

havok2022

Enthusiast
The Wal-Mart thing already existed, the in-home is fairly new (launched a few weeks back). I agree. I do not go to Wal-Mart for anything... ever. So they would not be getting me in there under any circumstance.

Kris Deering

Kris Deering

Enthusiast
I've done this a few times. The Wal-Mart route is hit or miss depending on how much knowledge the person behind the counter has on the process. The new do it at home feature is great though. I do this mainly with movies my kids and wife like to watch downstairs in our family room vice movies we watch on the big screen. I downloaded the program on my mac and simply stick the Blu-ray in my Blu-ray drive and the program tells you if its available or not. It's $2 for a HDX copy of a Blu-ray title, but as of right now they are offering 50% off if you do 10 or more. I converted 40 something movies last weekend at a buck a pop and even some DVDs of animated movies my kids like that aren't available on Blu-ray to HDX for $2 a pop. Super simple and HDX looks outstanding on my Panasonic 65" plasma.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis