VTF-3 MK4 VS. LFM-1 EX Subwoofer Which is the better sub to purchase?

pddufrene

pddufrene

Audioholic
I recently posted a thread about which was the best sub in the 500 price range. And the outlaw kept coming up as the sub to purchase but it was out of my price range. Now I'm looking at purchasing the outlaw at 649 plus 90 shipping. So I seen this other sub and was wondering if it was better than the outlaw? It's nearly the same price beings I missed the sale. Any thoughts?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Go for the VTF3, it is basically an improved LFM-1 EX. The LFM is more like the VTF3 mk2, the mk3 and mk4 are improved upon it. The VTF3's larger ports help deal with deeper bass better and the Q control give it an edge in tunability. When the Outlaws are on sale, yeah, its debatable whether the VTF3s are worth $150 more, but when they are roughly the same price, it is a no-brainer, get the Hsu.

G

GFOViedo

Audioholic
I was in the same boat as you are. However, I am not looking at the PSA-XV30....wife isn't very happy about the price either! Credit cards LOL.

pddufrene

pddufrene

Audioholic
Lol! Ya my wife's gonna freak when I tell her how much I'm about to drop on a sub myself. Are as she would say FOR ONE SPEAKER! ARE YOU CRAZY! LOL

H

hemingray

Enthusiast
What about the PSA XV-15? Tax and shipping pushes the HSU for me above the XV-15 and it's a mighty nicely reviewed sub.

pddufrene

pddufrene

Audioholic
I never really looked in to it. To be honest I guess that could be another option I'm gonna have to check into it. Thanks

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
If you can wait till Dec they always have a sale at that time or call/email outlaw and maybe asked them If you can still get it for the sale price. Hey you never know.

Last edited:
pddufrene

pddufrene

Audioholic
I'm not really in a rush to buy a woofer now. I subscribed to outlaws email list and I'm kinda hoping they go on sale this year. Everyone talks very highly about there subs. So I may hold off an wait and see

H

hemingray

Enthusiast
I just came here to ask if you'd gotten anything yet!

I just now pulled the trigger on a Rythmik LV-12R. The servo and promise of accurate HT and music sold me on it. I do have a bit of a space problem, so could not go big (if no holds barred, in my price range, I probably would have gone with the SVS PB12-NSD).

It was not a hurry-up decision - but boy, I've about had it with no bass!

Best of luck to you!

pddufrene

pddufrene

Audioholic
Hemingray, thanks I'm gonna need it. I think I'm gonna give the outlaw a shot but I will wait for the next sale to come up first, whenever that may be. I hope u enjoy your sub and hope you give some thoughts on it once you break it in. I'm curious to hear what you think and if your satisfied.

H

hemingray

Enthusiast
So far, loving the LV12R. Of course, it blows my old 10" BIC away. One thing I noticed is the new clarity of sound in the entire system. I have a Yamaha AVR, so I used the YPAO setup and then tweaked a few things and with a competent sub, it just makes the whole system sound better. Of course, the bass is awesome and movies come alive. The old BIC sub, being cheap, had poor and probably not flat response, but the Rythmik just sounds "clean". I have no way to compare and feel that all of those I compared from SVS, Outlaw, and Hsu would be great, but I am really happy with my choice of the Rythmik and its servo technology. It's a perfect visual fit in the room, which is a plus.

I gotta say - I think the LV12R is a huge bang for the buck. I don't feel like I missed anything - I didn't compare on price for the most part and could have gone with any of them but the Rythmik was just compelling for me. I think that one has to be happy with their choice and price doesn't have a lot to do with that. I didn't want to look back someday and think I need to upgrade. Unless of course, I win the lottery and can get two of everything! :)

pddufrene

pddufrene

Audioholic
Well that's awesome! I'm glad u got what you were looking for it'll be a while before I get my sub unfortunately but I finally have my speakers and Yamaha receiver in so I feel like I'm finally getting somewhere. When I get my sub ill let you know my opinion on it. Hopefully ill get it sooner than later. Lol

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis