Vizio 58" XVT3D580CM Razor LED Cinemawide Display Preview

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
If you are a movie buff or just want to use apps without disrupting your (others) viewing, the Vizio XVT3D580CM Razor LED might be just what you were longing for. Featuring a native 2.35:1 aspect ratio, you won't have to suffer black bars on the top and bottom during your Lord of the Rings marathons. When viewing 16:9 content, Vision will allow you to utilize the extra space to navigate your Visio Internet Apps. Now all we need to know is the price.

Discuss "Vizio 58" XVT3D580CM Razor LED Cinemawide Display Preview" here. Read the article.

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
Looks like Vizio is on to something Big and getting ready to pull away from the pack, being a huge movie buff I love this Idea.

S

scott911

Full Audioholic
i must be in a bad mood this morning - but the notion of putting app content to the right or left of the viewing image just strikes me as stupid.

We already have to put up with the multiple layers of "ticket" news on many shows, and have netrwork branding and "next show" branding watermaked on half the stuff we watch.

Why on earth would we intentionally want to add more clutter to our screens!?

And - when will edge lit LED placement finally be explained, not as a feature, but as a cost savings compromise.

F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
Oh man, I just pray no "normal" people ever buy this display.

"Normal" folks already stretch 4:3 content, can't tell an SD channel from an HD one, complain about "black bars" and would prefer to watch a vertically stretched or a cropped image - I can't even imagine how bad things are going to get on a 21:9 screen!

Just imagine the stretch on 4:3 content on this baby! Although, it MIGHT even be so crazy-looking that the "normals" notice something isn't right :p

The "normals" are never going to figure out how to activate the 21:9 cropping for 2.35:1 features anyway. If they ever DO turn it on, they won't know how to turn it back off, so all of their 16:9 content is going to get cropped (not that they'll notice). And I can just imagine how "awesome" those SD channels are going to look.

No sir, this TV should only be allowed to be sold to people who can pass a written and a practical exam. You should have to earn a licence to operate this thing.

Of course, anyone who cares enough to actually know how aspect ratios work isn't going to want 120Hz processing, crappy half-resolution "passive" 3D, the picture artifacts that will come from cropping and scaling to fill that 21:9 screen, or the super glossy screen surface on this thing. Oh, and they might not like the uneven backlighting, the "cloudy" look of the pseudo-local-dimming, or the way the near side looks black but the far side looks grey if you look at a dark scene from just slightly off-angle.

I like the idea of being able to watch 2.35:1 movies on a screen that is actually larger than the 16:9 portion, but there are just too many problems. It doesn't offer good enough picture quality for the people who will actually know how to use it, and it is going to be completely unmanageable by the "normals".

Lastly, 58" is the biggest size?! What's the point? That's the equivalent of a mere 46.6" screen when you're looking at 16:9 content.

So good idea, but poor execution. I didn't even mention how subtitles on a lot of movies are going to get cut off when the image is cropped to 21:9, or how incredibly bad 2.35:1 DVDs are going to look due to all the interpolation and scaling. If you want the "Cinemascope" experience at home, invest in a front projection setup, not this.

smurphy522

smurphy522

Full Audioholic
Open WIDE!

A bold and risky move by Vizio.

In the era when Cinema Wide projection is making its way into the mainstream we now see an LCD offering. I do indeed like it and since many movies (and Blu-Rays) are being offered in this 2.35:1 and up format it will have plenty of viewing material available. Unfortunately there is a lack of acceptance from the mainstream networks to this format.

Fingers crossed!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis