WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Luckily, I have a ton of superb classical recordings that are highly desirable, given to me by a late friend who was a hardcore music lover. I have only been able to go through a small portion so far. This was the primary reason I took so long to consider a table and purchased such a high performance one in the end.

-Chris

Cristofori

Cristofori

Audioholic
I'm already well familiar with vinyl from collecting classical LP's and other non-popular or obscure genres, which I can find still sealed and/or in NM condition at great prices, but I've been getting a bit frustrated as of late by the lack of availability of CD's in stores, of ANY genre, and it seems to keep getting worse every time I visit.

Not being the type who's musical life normally revolves around his PC, I went into a record shop the other day and saw all this great new Rock/Pop vinyl, music I remembered when I was younger and some of which I used to have on vinyl. Some were special editions and hard to find on CD (nowadays). I was tempted to buy a few, even at their higher prices, which wasn't that bad actually for the quality.

It's ironic that as CD's continue to dwindle in favor of downloads (many of which are inferior by the way), some of us who are still fascinated by vinyl and desire to own something physical and/or unique may be tempted to turn to the medium more and more.

Also, vinyl and TT technology has been pretty much perfected. The only real improvements I believe can be made is with the new laser LP players recently developed, but which are a still an exotic niche product and are terribly expensive. We already know how to get the best performance possible from the LP. We know the idiosyncrasies and longevity of vinyl.

You won't have to wake up one day and find out your music no longer works with the new formats or machines, or that some idiot decided to implant disabling codes or viruses or who know what else onto your discs/downloads. Or that your 25 year old 1st generation CD's you paid good money for are slowing developing a bunch of little pin holes that keep growing in number, and the discs may not even out live you!

Digital formats/downloads keep constantly changing at breathtaking speeds, sometimes for the worse and sometimes for the better. As soon as a standard is set (if any), it goes the way of the dodo within a year or two. I'm not against progress mind you, but I don't even want to keep up with it all anymore, and I'm craving more simplicity in my life.

Yes, vinyl can wear out, but if cared for properly and not listened to incessantly or played on lousy equipment, can last indefinitely. The 75+ year old 78 rpm's I have in EX condition can attest to that, and the newer LP's are made even better. Also, if these laser TT players ever become affordable to the average person, we could now experience these old treasures in full analog glory without ever having to think about groove wear again!

If the LP is superior to some other formats in only one way, it is certainly in the area of aesthetics. The LP cover art, labels, inner sleeves and the vinyl itself, can be a work of art and a thing of beauty.

Then there's the art and ritual of playing the LP, which many will describe as a pain in the rear (and it is sometimes), but can also be a fun and involving experience when in the right mood. Then there is also the investment/resale value. Quality vinyl always has, and continues to fetch the highest prices over any other format, save for the occasional rare OOP CD/SACD.

I enjoy and use CD, and I always will as long as I can still get the good ones. Preferably, I wish all recordings of any genre could be on SACD.

But since that format has largely abandoned the Rock/Pop genres, and many of it's younger listening audience seems content with inferior pirated MP3's, I think I may start to diversify my vinyl portfolio!

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
A friend of mine is doing a small run of vinyl when his next CD comes out. Should be pretty cool, especially if it was recorded by one of the guys who has done some of his other CDs since two of them have done a lot of mastering for vinyl.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I got a Watts Dust Bug and found a copy of this for a buck:

http://cgi.ebay.it/VIVALDI-BACH-MOZART-DGG-dig-2LP-ZUKERMAN-STERN-MEHTA-M_W0QQitemZ270255624810QQihZ017QQcategoryZ306QQcmdZViewItem

I snagged 5 CD's while I was at it. ;)
It's starting to feel a tad like an addiction and I blame 3db. :p

... but it was under $12 for all that music so that's like smokes and a six pack. :rolleyes:
... or in Canadian terms just smokes or just a six pack. :eek:

An article on Vinyl from my home town paper. :)
Not to poo-poo that article too badly but by the time the author got around to talking about CD's sucking and sounding sterile, I lost interest in anything he had to say ... and if I want soul, I'll dig up Ray Charles or go to church. ;)

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I got a Watts Dust Bug and found a copy of this for a buck:

http://cgi.ebay.it/VIVALDI-BACH-MOZART-DGG-dig-2LP-ZUKERMAN-STERN-MEHTA-M_W0QQitemZ270255624810QQihZ017QQcategoryZ306QQcmdZViewItem

I snagged 5 CD's while I was at it. ;)
It's starting to feel a tad like an addiction and I blame 3db. :p

... but it was under $12 for all that music so that's like smokes and a six pack. :rolleyes:
... or in Canadian terms just smokes or just a six pack. :eek:

Not to poo-poo that article too badly but by the time the author got around to talking about CD's sucking and sounding sterile, I lost interest in anything he had to say ... and if I want soul, I'll dig up Ray Charles or go to church. ;)
I got big shoulders ;) I can take it. Blame me. Its my fault

And you didn't find that article a pulitzer price read???? :D

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
... you didn't find that article a pulitzer price read???? :D
I shouldn't beat him up too bad. The GIGO rule set in pretty hard with the author. When I was doing work for our local used record store owner, a reporter called him to research an article and ended up taking input from me. He had no idea that he was talking to a monkey. The poor Ottawa reporter got saddled with a human interest piece that exactly two of us have read so far. :rolleyes:

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Just came across this today at the used record store. I gave it a test spin at the store and it sounds very interesting from a blues perpsective. One of the people pricing said it was very rare.

Last edited:
Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I was going to post this in the Listening to Now Thread but ...

Nice clean album of a great violinist's work for a buck. :)
I suppose I could have bought something off the McDonald's dollar menu instead. :rolleyes:

The classical albums are usually in great condition. The low cost has been such a hook for me that I now have a sizable and varied collection. I'm afraid that I'll end up owning a turntable for the rest of my life. I almost bought The White Album new at Newbury Comics but didn't feel like carrying it around all day long. It was under $20 but I would also rather own the CD so that I can play it anywhere. Anybody know how the CD and LP compare?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis