Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
@Bucknekked
@vsound5150

While we're on the topic of vinyl collections--Do you own any colored vinyl? Like red, orange, blue, or yellow vinyl?

I have several colored vinyl. Sometimes you will see a standard black vinyl release and a limited edition colored vinyl release.

I LOVE the colored vinyl!
In my small new collection I have no colored vinyl. In my old original collection I had a number of colored ones. I remember gold ones. Mostly they were a really bright yellow, but they were supposed to be gold. There were one or two others that had color as well, I just don't recall the hue.

I would like to get some colored vinyl, I just don't know who has an album that is available in color. Is there a way to specifically look for colored vinyl? I haven't tried that, but it sounds like fun.

If you can include a photo of your album shelf that's an idea I might try for my music room. I'd like to be able to display the albums. Good idea.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
In my small new collection I have no colored vinyl. In my old original collection I had a number of colored ones. I remember gold ones. Mostly they were a really bright yellow, but they were supposed to be gold. There were one or two others that had color as well, I just don't recall the hue.

I would like to get some colored vinyl, I just don't know who has an album that is available in color. Is there a way to specifically look for colored vinyl? I haven't tried that, but it sounds like fun.

If you can include a photo of your album shelf that's an idea I might try for my music room. I'd like to be able to display the albums. Good idea.
Here's a link to the original on Thingiverse. Not my pic, but mine looks pretty much the same:
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:802815

Typically I don't go looking just for colored vinyl, but if I am on the fence about a purchase then a colored vinyl may help sway me towards a purchase. Or if I have the choice b/w black vs colored then I take the colored vinyl if the price is similar.

But, when I went to Music Direct and searched for "colored vinyl":
https://www.musicdirect.com/Search?searchterm=colored vinyl&sort=score|DESC&page=1&c1=tab-products&c2=grid

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks for the photo of the "now playing" album stand. I will check in to that.

I must be getting really, really, old and out of touch. I went to the music direct site and searched through pages and pages of colored vinyl albums and didn't find one band or artist I had ever heard of, much less knew about. That is a social failing on my part I'm sure. After 4 or 5 pages of surfing, I finally landed on an group I had heard of. Hilarious. Don't know that I can buy it and display it. The grand kids might not understand.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks for the photo of the "now playing" album stand. I will check in to that.

I must be getting really, really, old and out of touch. I went to the music direct site and searched through pages and pages of colored vinyl albums and didn't find one band or artist I had ever heard of, much less knew about. That is a social failing on my part I'm sure. After 4 or 5 pages of surfing, I finally landed on an group I had heard of. Hilarious. Don't know that I can buy it and display it. The grand kids might not understand.
A really good Texas band!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Most of the vinyl I have was bought new from early 70s thru late 80s; once cd's hit I pretty much stopped buying vinyl. I've had a few friends give me their vinyl as they updated their gear. Think I'm at around 1000 albums. I doubt I paid much over $5 each for the majority of what I bought, maybe $10 each for double albums, altho I do have a few Mobile Fidelity versions that cost probably $20-25 each, but that's inflation for ya!

I do buy used cd's/blurays and even one sacd so far, all with great success....used vinyl has other risks involved that doesn't make it appeal....but also I have very limited opportunities to go and buy such (none local).

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I picked up a new album on "Record Day" last year that turned out to be "not black". But it wasn't colored either. It's clear!

BØRNS, album "Live At KCRW's Morning Becomes Eclectic". $22.96

Limited edition, 2000 pressed, released on Record Day 2016 (April 16.2016)

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
I picked up a new album on "Record Day" last year that turned out to be "not black". But it wasn't colored either. It's clear!

I learn something every day. I didn't know they made clear pressings. One more thing to look forward to

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord

@Bucknekked
Yup, I have the Oh Brother Where Art Thow soundtrack on a 2-record clear vinyl set, it's pretty nice.

Yeah, I have a couple record day records that were very limited release.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
@Bucknekked
@vsound5150

While we're on the topic of vinyl collections--Do you own any colored vinyl? Like red, orange, blue, or yellow vinyl?

I have several colored vinyl. Sometimes you will see a standard black vinyl release and a limited edition colored vinyl release.

I LOVE the colored vinyl!

As close to colored that I have in my collection.

IMG_1002.JPG

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
As close to colored that I have in my collection.

View attachment 20060
Ricky Nelson. Wow. We have a restaurant here in the Phoenix metro area by the name of Oreganos. They like to have TVs playing with shows from the 1950s on. Ozzie and Harriet, with Ricky Nelson, is a mainstay there. No sound, just the video. What a weird coincidence.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
Fluance is offering an entry level belt drive turntable with a built in phono amp which can be bypassed for $338Cdn on sale.
Nice turntable @ $250 USD! Wish I had known of it when I bought my Pro-Ject.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Nice turntable @ $250 USD! Wish I had known of it when I bought my Pro-Ject.
I also think the U-Turn would be a good budget TT option.

In hindsight, I kind of think I should have gone for the U-Turn over my Pro-Ject (see avatar).

Did your Pro-Ject come with the Acryl-it platter?

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai

In hindsight, I kind of think I should have gone for the U-Turn over my Pro-Ject (see avatar).

When I added a turntable back in to my sound system last year, I went with the U-Turn Orbit Pro.
It has an acrylic platter and a queing lever. I rather like it. Its simple and it works.
The sound is as good or better than any other table I have personally owned.

Lots of great options out there. While I have mixed emotions about vinyl, I'm actually glad its making a comeback and I've enjoyed having the table in the mix of audio sources.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord

What's wrong with the ProJect? I really like mine A LOT *lol*

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
What's wrong with the ProJect? I really like mine A LOT *lol*
My biggest complaint is the piece of crap felt platter mat that came with it! Just be ready to upgrade that, about $25 for the cork mat or $125 for the Acryl-it platter. Nit picking, but for ~$400, surely they could have included a better stock mat. This was the Debut Carbon model, I think your XIII came with the Acryl-it platter so you didn't have to worry about the mat.

The other thing that I don't really like is that I can hear the motor when I turn it on. If does NOT get picked up by the stylus and does not get amplified and sent to my speakers (thankfully), but if I am standing in front of it, I can definitely hear the mechanical motor rumble. Once I'm about 3 or 4 feet back, I can't hear it at all.

Of course, mine is not the DC model, mine is driven directly off the mains power frequency. I'm curious if the DC model has corrected that.

All in all, fairly minor complaints for an entry level TT. I just think looking at the price etc, maybe I would have been more satisfied with the U-Turn. At the very least, I would have been satisfied by supporting a small American-made company. But, at the time, I thought the Pro-Ject would be the safer bet, and it did come with a much better cart.

I have considered selling it, but then I would probably be out $100 as compared to the new price, and I would likely have to spend at least double the $ to get huge improvements in performance, so I just keep it and use it.

I do prefer my SL1210 TT. But I could not get a Q-up to install correctly on my SL1210. Having the Q-up is a HUGE advantage for a fully manual TT IMO.

And, the Fit and Finish on the Pro-Ject is very nice!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
My biggest complaint is the piece of crap felt platter mat that came with it! Just be ready to upgrade that, about $25 for the cork mat or $125 for the Acryl-it platter. Nit picking, but for ~$400, surely they could have included a better stock mat. This was the Debut Carbon model, I think your XIII came with the Acryl-it platter so you didn't have to worry about the mat.

The other thing that I don't really like is that I can hear the motor when I turn it on. If does NOT get picked up by the stylus and does not get amplified and sent to my speakers (thankfully), but if I am standing in front of it, I can definitely hear the mechanical motor rumble. Once I'm about 3 or 4 feet back, I can't hear it at all.

Of course, mine is not the DC model, mine is driven directly off the mains power frequency. I'm curious if the DC model has corrected that.

All in all, fairly minor complaints for an entry level TT. I just think looking at the price etc, maybe I would have been more satisfied with the U-Turn. At the very least, I would have been satisfied by supporting a small American-made company. But, at the time, I thought the Pro-Ject would be the safer bet, and it did come with a much better cart.

I have considered selling it, but then I would probably be out $100 as compared to the new price, and I would likely have to spend at least double the $ to get huge improvements in performance, so I just keep it and use it.

I do prefer my SL1210 TT. But I could not get a Q-up to install correctly on my SL1210. Having the Q-up is a HUGE advantage for a fully manual TT IMO.

And, the Fit and Finish on the Pro-Ject is very nice!
What do you mean by Q-up to install on the 1210? I have a 1200, do you mean the queing mechanism module or whatever that is? Mine's getting a bit weak (won't hold long in the up position) recently so curious as I've not really looked into what it takes to deal with it...

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
What do you mean by Q-up to install on the 1210? I have a 1200, do you mean the queing mechanism module or whatever that is? Mine's getting a bit weak (won't hold long in the up position) recently so curious as I've not really looked into what it takes to deal with it...
The Q-up is a little spring-loaded device that you install. When the tone arm gets to the end of the record, the spring pops the tone arm up and off the record. So, if you get distracted while playing vinyl, it doesn't just sit there and scrape the label.

Honestly, for a few pieces of plastic and a couple springs, it's over-priced. But, it is a handy little device nonetheless!

https://www.amazon.com/Q-UP-The-Up-Tonearm/dp/B008OAMD26/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488574671&sr=8-1&keywords=q-up

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The Q-up is a little spring-loaded device that you install. When the tone arm gets to the end of the record, the spring pops the tone arm up and off the record. So, if you get distracted while playing vinyl, it doesn't just sit there and scrape the label.

Honestly, for a few pieces of plastic and a couple springs, it's over-priced. But, it is a handy little device nonetheless!

https://www.amazon.com/Q-UP-The-Up-Tonearm/dp/B008OAMD26/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488574671&sr=8-1&keywords=q-up
Damn, never saw one of those before! Would use my tt more with one....is that the most reasonably priced one? Not that it matters if you couldn't use one I suppose; I see some more expensive ones on Music Direct....this one has a cute name but a bit pricey
https://www.musicdirect.com/analog-accessories/little-fwend-tonearm-lifter-high

This one's gonna clash with the silver lol
https://www.musicdirect.com/analog-accessories/expressimo-audio-the-lift-tonearm-lifter

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Damn, never saw one of those before! Would use my tt more with one....is that the most reasonably priced one? Not that it matters if you couldn't use one I suppose; I see some more expensive ones on Music Direct....this one has a cute name but a bit pricey
https://www.musicdirect.com/analog-accessories/little-fwend-tonearm-lifter-high

This one's gonna clash with the silver lol
https://www.musicdirect.com/analog-accessories/expressimo-audio-the-lift-tonearm-lifter
Well, the Q-up is the only one that I am familiar with. Yup, exactly why I bought it was so that I would use my TT more often, and I do use it more now too.

For what it's worth, it was $60 for a long time, then finally hit $50 on Amazon. If you search Amazon, they have a 2-pack for $70.

I bought the 2-pack a while back. Installed it on my Pro-Ject with ease and love it. On my SL1210, it just seemed that the space to place it between the platter and the tone arm assembly was too tight. I might have been able to shoehorn it in there, but I feared it could eventually get bumped and caught on platter. Just not enough room for my comfort. I already sold my 2nd one since I couldn't use it.

On the other hand, with Q-up on the Pro-Ject, I dont have room to install my Dust Bug. So, I use the dust bug only on the SL1210

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis