Vintage Vivid Loudspeakers

S

sharrell

Audiophyte
I am thinking of getting a used set of loudspeakers. I understand that they are old (not sure the exact age), but for the price I do not think I can go wrong. The previous owner is selling them since he has no more room in his tiny apartment.

the specs are as follows:

Vivid Loudspeaker Thunder Series TX-440

Woofer = 1-25cm Poly
Midrange = 1-12.6 cm
Horn = 1-8.8 cm
Power Input = 115 watt RMS max.
Frequency response = 28 - 22 000 Hz
Crossover frequency = 2000 Hz & 5000 Hz
Impedence = 8 ohms
System - Passive Radiator = 1 - 25 cm
Protection = Circuit breaker

For extra info, a sticker which i got all the specs stated the Suggested Retail price was $699.95/pr.

Thank you to all who help me out!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I am thinking of getting a used set of loudspeakers. I understand that they are old (not sure the exact age), but for the price I do not think I can go wrong. The previous owner is selling them since he has no more room in his tiny apartment.

the specs are as follows:

Vivid Loudspeaker Thunder Series TX-440

Woofer = 1-25cm Poly
Midrange = 1-12.6 cm
Horn = 1-8.8 cm
Power Input = 115 watt RMS max.
Frequency response = 28 - 22 000 Hz
Crossover frequency = 2000 Hz & 5000 Hz
Impedence = 8 ohms
System - Passive Radiator = 1 - 25 cm
Protection = Circuit breaker

For extra info, a sticker which i got all the specs stated the Suggested Retail price was $699.95/pr.

Thank you to all who help me out!
Trust me, you will go wrong!

S

sharrell

Audiophyte
how might i go wrong? and then so how about these ones?

Technics loudspeakers

240 watt RMS max

3 way speakers

3ft tall

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

how might i go wrong? and then so how about these ones?

Technics loudspeakers

240 watt RMS max

3 way speakers

3ft tall
Those older three ways were a real mess, especially those of Far Easter origin. Speaker design has never been a forte of Far Eastern manufacturers.

S

sharrell

Audiophyte
if you have not noticed, im new to this! thank you so much for your input.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
The Vivids don't sound legit, I could be wrong. They sound like white van speakers from the past from your description. The Technics would likely be better, but not great. You didn't say what prices you are being offered. Without this knowledge I can tell you nothing about "what a deal!" they may be.;)

S

sharrell

Audiophyte
Vivid - $55
Technics - $80

and i also have been offered a pair of Acoustic Profiles bass Reflector Speakers PM-3500 3 way speakers

here is what i have been told about them:

Each speaker has a 10" woofer, 4" midrange and a 3/4" dome tweeter. They were made in Canada about 10 years ago and sold for over $650. Each enclosure is 36" hign by 13" wide by 9.5" deep.
The speakers are rated as 35-20000Hz range, 4-8 ohm compatible, and 120 watts power handling. They are very efficient (91 Db.) so you don't need a large amplifier.

Selling for $75.

Thank you

S

sharrell

Audiophyte
maybe i should rephrase the question - if you were given the option of only these 3 speakers which one would you choose?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

maybe i should rephrase the question - if you were given the option of only these 3 speakers which one would you choose?
I have absolutely no idea. Darts perhaps? I just have never heard speakers of that ilk sound anything other than dreadful.

S

sharrell

Audiophyte
My budget, you can see is tight (im a student and wishing to use them mainly for parties/general listening), so out of the 3, which one will i get the 'best bang for the buck'?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

My budget, you can see is tight (im a student and wishing to use them mainly for parties/general listening), so out of the 3, which one will i get the 'best bang for the buck'?
If you push me the Technics. I think the others are "White Van".

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Carefull at the parties

Be careful with any of those speakers at the parties. Those speakers likely don't have ferro fluid in the tweeters, because it wasn't invented back then. People used to blow tweeters at parties regularly with that type of speaker.

Soundman

Soundman

Audioholic Field Marshall
Honestly, I wouldn't take any of the 3 listed. I think you would be far better off looking at some others. If you would increase your budget, even just a little, I think you will be much happier in the long run. Look online and you might find a good deal. You might just look at a pair of bookshelves for now and build your system a little at a time. Even if you have to save a little at first, I think it will be well worth the wait. Here's a couple ideas for not much money: http://av123.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=172&category_id=21&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=37
http://www.aperionaudio.com/product/Intimus-532-LR-Bookshelf-Speaker,5,20,5.aspx

Good luck. :)

B

BC Dave

Audioholic Intern
Acoustic Profiles weren't white van

I haven't heard of that model of Acoustic Profiles speaker, but I have heard some excellent Acoustic Profiles speakers. If I am not mistaken they were made by the now defunct Audiosphere Research company in Toronto. Andrew Marshall's Audio Ideas Guide out of Toronto gave a couple of their models some very good reviews. An acquaintance has a pair of Acoustic Profiles towers with twin eight-inch woofers and a one-inch dome tweeter and they sounded very nice with jazz when I heard them. They were very clean without any harshness in the high-end and had a deep, solid bass response as well. He had a subwoofer but it wasn't connected and it needn't have been. Andrew Marshall commented on the high quality of the tweeter and the unusually high resolution of the speaker at that price point. Vivid is garbage (sold by The Brick furniture store at one point) and I wouldn't touch your third choice.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I haven't heard of that model of Acoustic Profiles speaker, but I have heard some excellent Acoustic Profiles speakers. If I am not mistaken they were made by the now defunct Audiosphere Research company in Toronto. Andrew Marshall's Audio Ideas Guide out of Toronto gave a couple of their models some very good reviews. An acquaintance has a pair of Acoustic Profiles towers with twin eight-inch woofers and a one-inch dome tweeter and they sounded very nice with jazz when I heard them. They were very clean without any harshness in the high-end and had a deep, solid bass response as well. He had a subwoofer but it wasn't connected and it needn't have been. Andrew Marshall commented on the high quality of the tweeter and the unusually high resolution of the speaker at that price point. Vivid is garbage (sold by The Brick furniture store at one point) and I wouldn't touch your third choice.
Here is a link about those Acoustic Profile speakers on AudioKarma. The comments are not encouraging.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=32882

I know you are a poor student, but if you buy garbage you will be poorer.

I was a poor student over forty years ago, but I used to save for good equipment. A number of items are still in my system and still going strong.

You will be much better off with a pair of these.

http://decibelchicago.stores.yahoo.net/caaus30lo.html

S

sharrell

Audiophyte
I have 4 bookshelf speakers already, so i was looking into getting towers...I have 2 JBL 2500 and 2 Cerwin-Vega E-705.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
You could look at these Athenas. They are priced as each and are new. For $200 you won't likely find any better sounding or looking speakers in this range. If you want accurate then this is a good bet, you want loud, they are still a good bet. You would be very surprised at the output cabability of some of these seemingly smaller speakers. My Infinity IL10 bookshelf speakers absolutely scream and slam in my living room, you wouldn't believe the sound these 18 pound a piece Infinity speakers can fill a room with.:D I have owned some Athena speakers in the past, and they sound great for the price, especially that price shown above.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis