Vintage turntable purchase advice

C

cdbarnes

Audiophyte
Greetings folks,

I’m looking at a Kenwood KD-1033 for $72.00 + $12.00 S/H and a Sansui SR-222 for $139.80 + $39.90 for S/H.

The price difference is very wide but I’m willing to pay extra for the Sansui if it’s that much better of a turntable. What would your advice be?

Many thanks!

Charles

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I'm not sure about the vintage units, but I know you can get a decent new unit for 1/2 of what you are looking to spend that will most likely out perform what you are looking at.. A friend of mine has an audio technica 60 that sounds fantastic, cost him $85 brand new and shipped..

C

cdbarnes

Audiophyte
I'm not sure about the vintage units, but I know you can get a decent new unit for 1/2 of what you are looking to spend that will most likely out perform what you are looking at.. A friend of mine has an audio technica 60 that sounds fantastic, cost him $85 brand new and shipped..
Hi Imc,

First, thanks for your response!

I've seen the Audio-Technica models and heard good things. I currently have an AT p-mount cartridge on my Technics SL-D20 and I like the sound. I'd heard that some of the better vintage tables beat most modern entry-level/budget tables, sound-wise. But if I keep hearing that AT's modern tables beat old Sansuis and Kenwoods, I'll have to rethink my strategy.

Again, thanks!

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I just like new stuff with a new warranty new is , well new...

If you spend a little more, I have a pro-ject table and it is amazing, music hall makes some decent ones to but the projects entry level stuff is the way to go for around $300 and never buy another one..

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
These new entry level turntables are really quite nice and are guaranteed to be in 100% working order.

C

cdbarnes

Audiophyte
I just like new stuff with a new warranty new is , well new...

If you spend a little more, I have a pro-ject table and it is amazing, music hall makes some decent ones to but the projects entry level stuff is the way to go for around $300 and never buy another one..
Funny you should mention the Pro-Ject as I recently subscribed to Absolute Sound and it was there that I first saw that table. I've been keeping an eye on it since. Since I'm on a budget, if and when I do get a brand-new table, it'll be the Pro-Ject. Maybe I should wait to get the $300.00 and go straight for the Pro-Ject. I do have a soft spot for antiques though. :D

C

cdbarnes

Audiophyte
These new entry level turntables are really quite nice and are guaranteed to be in 100% working order.
Agreed. In fact, it does seem that due to the vinyl renaissance, entry-level tables are getting very nice again. I presume the last time entry-level was like this was the 70s.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis