Vintage Pioneer SX-1280 receiver not working

R

rlaakso

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>My SX-1280 receiver (1978) goes out on overload protection with nothing hooked up to it. Took it in for an estimate. He says $300-$500 to repair. He didn't say what was wrong with it. I think he is going to do a major rebuild of the components. Is this necessary? He is going to replace capacitors etc. I brought it home, and I am going to think on it. Asking for this forum's comments. Thanks in advance.
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
<font color='#008080'>I would dump it and buy a new receiver. Later, if you feel so inclined and have oodles of cash for old-time's sake you can rebuild it.

I personally believe it is a myth that anything from the 1970's can sound better than today's models for the same price.
My Dad is so proud of his 1970's era system and everytime I visit I have to hold my tongue and not tell him that it really sounds like a cheap boom box.</font>

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
hawke : <font color='#000000'>I would dump it and buy a new receiver. Later, if you feel so inclined and have oodles of cash for old-time's sake you can rebuild it.

I personally believe it is a myth that anything from the 1970's can sound better than today's models for the same price.
My Dad is so proud of his 1970's era system and everytime I visit I have to hold my tongue and not tell him that it really sounds like a cheap boom box.</font>
<font color='#0000FF'>
&nbsp;
&nbsp;
</font>

R

rlaakso

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Clint &amp; Yamahaluver,

This receiver is no &quot;boombox&quot;. It is a high end receiver, when they spared no cost, for prestige reasons, with the top end. It is rated at 185 watts per channel. It beats my 100 watt per channel AV receiver hands down! I wouldn't try to preserve it if it wasn't an excellent amplifier. That is what I use it for.
Having said that, I agree with you that it is time to move on. 25 years is a great run with any product. I am unsure what I will do with it.
For now I am considering an integrated amplifier, Rotel &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; RA-1070. Any thoughts on what you would recommend for approx. $1,000?</font>

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<font color='#0000FF'>Sorry didnt mean to insult your gear. I myself am a big vintage Japanese audio equipment fan. I consider that Yamaha, Marantz and Pioneer all made superb products which were more to do with technology rather than marketing. The Pioneer A-400 amp was a benchmark for most magazines in the eighties.

If you are looking for two channel amps, consider Yamaha's integrated AX-892 or 1092, the later being their superb high current integrated version of their seprate amp, the MX-1. Also Marantz has some fine integrated amps on their list.</font>

<font color='#008080'>Somehow I knew that last line would come back and bite me...

Regardless of how great that unit was, I still maintain that you'll be much happier with a new model. While lots of newer models don't hold up to their older counterparts, if you continue to buy high-end gear, you'll find that top-of-the-line &quot;now&quot;, will slay top-of-the-line &quot;then&quot;. And mid and low will even increase the noticeable difference further.

Have fun selecting the replacement - I know you'll be happy if you stick to quality receivers.</font>

D

duallydondon

Audiophyte
Pioneer 1280

I purchased a 1280 on Ebay and it worked well for several years. Had a problem with intermittent power loss to channels. Finally took it to Austin Stereo and the wizard there found some capacitors that were faulty and replaced about 80 various doo-dads, now the unit is in superb condition. I still believe the old units have a sound that can only be replicated by the super high end units. By the way I am looking for the sound cards for a pioneer 1080. Anyone out there have one that you are parting out???

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
<font color='#000000'>My SX-1280 receiver (1978) goes out on overload protection with nothing hooked up to it. Took it in for an estimate. He says $300-$500 to repair. He didn't say what was wrong with it. I think he is going to do a major rebuild of the components. Is this necessary? He is going to replace capacitors etc. I brought it home, and I am going to think on it. Asking for this forum's comments. Thanks in advance.
</font>
Really fixing an old receiver like that is only really an economic proposition if you can repair it your self.

After 30 years I bet the unit does need recapping. Modern caps do last longer than older ones. Caps of that generation require replacement every 10 years or so to keep the units in prime condition.

I personally think most of those Far Eastern receivers were over rated. I think the Marantz were the best of the bunch. However those big old receivers seem to have a following on eBay. The cost of the repair you quoted, is likely what it would fetch on eBay. They usually make about $350 to $450, but I have seen them bid up as high as $1200 for receivers in that power class of that vintage.

It is strange in the US we really bid up the old Far Easter gear, but the Far Eastern bidders really bid up the vintage US and European gear, especially British gear. Just watch what a Garrard 301 can go for.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
<font color='#000000'>Clint &amp; Yamahaluver,

This receiver is no &quot;boombox&quot;. It is a high end receiver, when they spared no cost, for prestige reasons, with the top end. It is rated at 185 watts per channel. It beats my 100 watt per channel AV receiver hands down! I wouldn't try to preserve it if it wasn't an excellent amplifier. That is what I use it for.
Having said that, I agree with you that it is time to move on. 25 years is a great run with any product. I am unsure what I will do with it.
For now I am considering an integrated amplifier, Rotel &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; RA-1070. Any thoughts on what you would recommend for approx. $1,000?</font>
Whatever you do, do not simply throw away your old receiver. Someone would be willing to buy it on eBay in non-working condition, though, obviously, the price would not be nearly as high as if it were working.

As for your original question, there is no way we can know if the price quoted for you was reasonable or not, as we have no idea what is currently wrong with it. A total rebuild might very well be in order, though it might be that the shop just wants to pad the bill. In all cases like this, it is good if one can find a shop one can trust, and then go to them for service. If your shop is a good one, and if your receiver is good cosmetically, it would be far better to have it rebuilt than to buy another used one of the same model, as the used one will likely cost that much and is more likely to need work in the near future than one that is properly rebuilt.

B

B3Nut

Audioholic
These old machines are great units, and fun to use and work on, but vintage audio gear is a DIY pursuit, else you'll go broke having some of this stuff worked on! I have a few vintage systems, they've got their own charm and for 2-channel music they can be superb if you know which end of the soldering iron to grab. :) Some of these units can drive you insane, however, if they're in a deteriorated state.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
I think some of you are mistaken about the reliability of old gear. I own a McIntosh MAC 1700 receiver made about 1970, which I bought from the original owner in about 1993, and it has never needed any repairs. I bought a Pioneer SX-1250 (made circa 1976) in the early 1980's from the original owner, and it has only needed one minor repair (back in the late 1980's). Both work great. Perhaps some of you have purchased used equipment without carefully examining it first, or have been unlucky in buying abused equipment.

I also own a lot of much more modern gear, but these old pieces do have some advantages over the electronic processor controlled equipment. For example, they are much easier to operate, as one switch does one thing, not countless things depending upon what other button was pressed first. And they have their affect whether the unit is on or off (that is, one can, for example, lower the volume control with the power off if one now is about to turn the unit on and one wishes to not have it loud). And if one listens to FM, you will be hard pressed to get a better tuner than what one can find in classic gear from the 1970's. You don't need to take my word for this, just look at the specs. For reasons that escape me, modern home receivers typically have poor tuners. Obviously, it is some sort of business decision, as my modern car stereo has a tuner that is quite capable of picking up many stations, and it is not an expensive one.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I think some of you are mistaken about the reliability of old gear. I own a McIntosh MAC 1700 receiver made about 1970, which I bought from the original owner in about 1993, and it has never needed any repairs. I bought a Pioneer SX-1250 (made circa 1976) in the early 1980's from the original owner, and it has only needed one minor repair (back in the late 1980's). Both work great. Perhaps some of you have purchased used equipment without carefully examining it first, or have been unlucky in buying abused equipment.

I also own a lot of much more modern gear, but these old pieces do have some advantages over the electronic processor controlled equipment. For example, they are much easier to operate, as one switch does one thing, not countless things depending upon what other button was pressed first. And they have their affect whether the unit is on or off (that is, one can, for example, lower the volume control with the power off if one now is about to turn the unit on and one wishes to not have it loud). And if one listens to FM, you will be hard pressed to get a better tuner than what one can find in classic gear from the 1970's. You don't need to take my word for this, just look at the specs. For reasons that escape me, modern home receivers typically have poor tuners. Obviously, it is some sort of business decision, as my modern car stereo has a tuner that is quite capable of picking up many stations, and it is not an expensive one.
You make some good points. However you are talking about Macs, not Far Eastern price point conscious equipment. Now there are two ways to help mitigate aging components. One is to drastically over rate the components. Mac are known for this. The next is to design circuits that have wide tolerance of component drift. This is one of the Quad approaches, of Peter Walker, who used to design for around 50% tolerance. Of course a combination is even better. I wonder how these Behringers, and Emotiva's will fair thirty years on?

Now the fact is ALL caps deteriorate over time. They are batteries of a type and the chemical degrades. Modern caps are said to be better in this regard, but time will tell.

Even if a piece of gear seems OK, recapping the power supply very 10 years is a good plan.

If it is older tube gear, with high voltages, not recapping can be downright dangerous. I had a cap in the power supply of older tube gear explode in my face many years ago. That taught me respect for old large voltage caps!

I agree about older gear being more user friendly. The radio issue is price points again. Where possible and feasible I use good older gear. However being able to carry out your own service makes it much more practical.

Only four of my electronic components are less than two years old! Most are twenty or more. But I use because they either have no modern equivalent or are superior to the modern equivalent.

There is enough vintage gear to feast the eyes on.

http://mdcarter.smugmug.com/gallery/2424008_RKGvb#P-2-12

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
... The radio issue is price points again. ...
It does not cost much to make a tuner that can pick up stations decently. You can buy a new Pioneer car stereo for $100 that will outperform most home receivers these days in the ability to pick up stations—even flagship receivers costing thousands of dollars. Just look at the specs and you will see this.

Back in the 1970's, many manufacturers put some good tuners into their receivers. Even relatively low end models tend to perform as well as expensive modern receivers. Basically, manufacturers today have decided to put crap into receivers, probably to save a few pennies; certainly, it costs far less than $100 for good tuner circuits, as that is in store price for something with a CD player and four channels of amplification as well as the tuner section. The IC chips must be very cheap, but still they do not put equal performing chips in home stereos.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

It does not cost much to make a tuner that can pick up stations decently. You can buy a new Pioneer car stereo for $100 that will outperform most home receivers these days in the ability to pick up stations—even flagship receivers costing thousands of dollars. Just look at the specs and you will see this.

Back in the 1970's, many manufacturers put some good tuners into their receivers. Even relatively low end models tend to perform as well as expensive modern receivers. Basically, manufacturers today have decided to put crap into receivers, probably to save a few pennies; certainly, it costs far less than $100 for good tuner circuits, as that is in store price for something with a CD player and four channels of amplification as well as the tuner section. The IC chips must be very cheap, but still they do not put equal performing chips in home stereos.
I could not agree with you more. The sloppily designed radio tuners added as an after thought are a disgrace.

The problem is that the digital circuits are all or nothing. You really have to wonder what junk most of these Far Eastern designed and built pieces really are, and what they are getting away with.

The problem is these forums drive it. "Need new receiver fast, tight budget! Recommendations under $500. Please help!" If we can't change that mentality and have people save for quality gear, it will get worse.

Another good reason to stay vintage were you can, and when it makes sense. I know I will do everything I can to keep mine going.

highfigh

highfigh

</font>
Quoted $300-$500 and didn't say what was wrong? Get it back and tell him to pound sand.

What was happening when it stopped working? If it was playing normally, or even if it was being treated like a farm animal, unplug it (or leave it unplugged after you get it back) and open the case, looking for some fuses. If you find one or more that are blown, replace them with the same value (probably 1.5A- don't worry about the voltage marking) and see if it works. If it does, enjoy it. If not, take it to someone who will tell you what they need to do- there's a certain minimum amount of work needed and recapping it IS NOT included in that. These aren't tube amps with the capacitors aren't operated near their voltage limit, and they don't go bad very often, unlike tube amps.

I suspect this guy wants you to leave it after seeing this repair bill, so he can repair it cheaply and sell it for the inflated prices they're fetching now.

Ask how much you need to pay for his time, but ask what he did to determine the extent of the needed repairs. I worked for a Pioneer dealer and when their receivers came in for service, they usually needed the power amp 'chip pack' (it's the large black piece mounted to the aluminum heat sinks- the part number probably starts with STK-00xx).

Look on Ebay for SX-1280 prices and click on 'Completed Listings' if you want to see why he wants it.

highfigh

highfigh

Really fixing an old receiver like that is only really an economic proposition if you can repair it your self.

After 30 years I bet the unit does need recapping. Modern caps do last longer than older ones. Caps of that generation require replacement every 10 years or so to keep the units in prime condition.

I personally think most of those Far Eastern receivers were over rated. I think the Marantz were the best of the bunch. However those big old receivers seem to have a following on eBay. The cost of the repair you quoted, is likely what it would fetch on eBay. They usually make about $350 to $450, but I have seen them bid up as high as $1200 for receivers in that power class of that vintage.

It is strange in the US we really bid up the old Far Easter gear, but the Far Eastern bidders really bid up the vintage US and European gear, especially British gear. Just watch what a Garrard 301 can go for.
Look on Audio Karma if you want to see stupidity in action- they love to heap praise on crap that wasn't good when it was new, yet they make it seem to be able to raise the dead.

Most of those late-'70s receivers need their controls and switches cleaned and nothing else. They work until they don't and even the caps were decent enough. I have a Kenwood receiver from the early-mid '70s and it works fine- a little dark-sounding, but not terrible. It's on my work bench and I made a patch panel with Rec out/Tape in, binding posts for speakers and Pre-in/out. It doesn't hum, I don't drive it to distortion (I'm usually 3-6' from the speakers- how loud does it need to be?) and it always works.

However, I agree that at the time, a lot of garbage was troweled out and sold in huge quantities to people who didn't think they needed high-end equipment. Oddly enough, these are bringing well over $1000 on ebay.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis