vintage Pioneer receiver cutting out

G

gaivs

Audiophyte
I'm a budding vinyl fan who bought a vintage Pioneer SX-737 receiver to go with my modern Music Hall turntable and Polk Audio speakers (Monitor 70). I wanted to have an all-analogue system for my records.

Problem is, my Pioneer receiver keeps cutting out when the volume spikes, even a little bit, and even at mid-level volumes. It's just for a second or two, but it's being over-protective. If it makes a difference, this wasn't a problem at my old home where there was a tile floor. My new home is carpeted.

A few extra details. The whole time I have used low/medium-quality speaker wire. Also, I have a c.2004 Sony digital receiver that is independently wired to the Polk Audio speakers (same speaker wire). This all didn't seem to be a problem in the past.

Any ideas what's causing my receiver to cut out all the time?

PS I love this Pioneer receiver. All the control panel lights work, and it's a gem at night. Would it be worth having it serviced?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I'm a budding vinyl fan who bought a vintage Pioneer SX-737 receiver to go with my modern Music Hall turntable and Polk Audio speakers (Monitor 70). I wanted to have an all-analogue system for my records.

Problem is, my Pioneer receiver keeps cutting out when the volume spikes, even a little bit, and even at mid-level volumes. It's just for a second or two, but it's being over-protective. If it makes a difference, this wasn't a problem at my old home where there was a tile floor. My new home is carpeted.

A few extra details. The whole time I have used low/medium-quality speaker wire. Also, I have a c.2004 Sony digital receiver that is independently wired to the Polk Audio speakers (same speaker wire). This all didn't seem to be a problem in the past.

Any ideas what's causing my receiver to cut out all the time?

PS I love this Pioneer receiver. All the control panel lights work, and it's a gem at night. Would it be worth having it serviced?
If you have two amps wired to the same speakers, then that is your problem.

You absolutely can not do that, without causing severe damage.

I suspect if you have done that, then you have problems developing on the output stage of your Pioneer.

G

gaivs

Audiophyte
Well, that was easy, thanks. I disconnected the digital receiver, and the problem went away.

Is there such thing as a speaker switch to choose from one amp input or the other?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Well, that was easy, thanks. I disconnected the digital receiver, and the problem went away.

Is there such thing as a speaker switch to choose from one amp input or the other?
I'm not aware of a switch like that. There are switched that will select different speakers to the same amp, but not the other way round.

You would have to have a switch that could absolutely not allow two amps to connect together.

You are very lucky you have not blown both amps, but you probably have shortened the life of both of them.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

You could make your own switch. ;)
He could, but he would have to make sure that the switched where interlocking, or use a two pole two way switch. Ir will have to be a high current switch also.

As amp power have increased it has made mechanical switched problematic due to burn out.

So that is why speaker switched of all types are much less common.

The real way to do it is a CMOS logic controlled MOS FET switch But that would be a high bar for a novice.

highfigh

highfigh

Niles makes one. It has a push-button switch on the front, labelled A/B.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis