Vintage Marantz restoration. Who do you recommend?

J

jrayton

Enthusiast
HI Audioholics,

I'm interested in getting my Marantz 2285B fully restored. My local service and repairman who specialized in vintage receivers retired a few years ago. I've had it boxed up for ten years, and now that I have a new work room, I would like to get it back out for some good listening pleasure. Because of it's age I know that I should have it serviced before ever attempting to fire it up. So I figured the best route to go would be a full restoration. I'm looking for someone who specializes in vintage Marantz receiver restorations. Any recommendations will be appreciated.

Thanks,
jrayton

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I know a guy who does this. He's pretty selective about his projects since it isn't his full time job, but he's been restoring Marantz's for over 20 years. You can PM if you're serious and I can talk to him about what the costs might be.

HI Audioholics,

I'm interested in getting my Marantz 2285B fully restored. My local service and repairman who specialized in vintage receivers retired a few years ago. I've had it boxed up for ten years, and now that I have a new work room, I would like to get it back out for some good listening pleasure. Because of it's age I know that I should have it serviced before ever attempting to fire it up. So I figured the best route to go would be a full restoration. I'm looking for someone who specializes in vintage Marantz receiver restorations. Any recommendations will be appreciated.

Thanks,
jrayton

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
A lot depends on where you're located.
This guy is on the west coast: Home - IRebuildMarantz

I know of another one in NY state, I'm searching my favorites looking for the link.
I'll post when I find it.
If you plan on shipping it, I'd suggest dense padding, double boxing and getting insurance.

J

John Wargo

Audiophyte
Wargoselectronics in PA service and restorations of vintage gear

macddmac

macddmac

Audioholic General
I've been on a wait list for a B2230 restoration for 18 months-425.00 was the quote- includes tuner realignment.
Cheers, Mac

J

John Wargo

Audiophyte
Contact me thru my site wargoselectronics typically a 2 week turnaround.

Chris9472

Chris9472

Audiophyte
This wouldn't the first place I would come to asking for advice on restoring vintage audio gear. Most of those here are into mass produced black boxes with lot's of gizmos and 7.1 channels, which will probably soon be replaced by another black box with 8.1 channels before the years end, because we all know 7.1 just isn't enough. ;)

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis