Vintage Adcom Separates or HK Stereo receiver

S

samsonx2

Audiophyte
I just got an Adcom GTP 500 and an GFP 545 Amp for a grand total of $285. I thought about getting an HK 3490 ($300) but I decided to try the vintage Adcoms figuring that separates will be better even if they are 'older'.

Did I make the right decision ?

Or is HK's newer technology better than the 'older' Adcom separates ?

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
I just got an Adcom GTP 500 and an GFP 545 Amp for a grand total of $285. I thought about getting an HK 3490 ($300) but I decided to try the vintage Adcoms figuring that separates will be better even if they are 'older'.

Did I make the right decision ?

Or is HK's newer technology better than the 'older' Adcom separates ?
The vintage Adcom units you have are superb build quality and have top notch performance. If this is for stereo/music, it is going to be better than the receiver. The Adcom amp is going to handle more complex loads than the receiver. While it may not audibly matter, the Adcom gear also has much better quality components/parts inside.

-Chris

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
The Adcom rig will wipe the floor with that Harman Kardon in power capability. As an added benefit the Adcom gear will retain it's value. If the preamp has the remote control, that's even better. I wouldn't trade that stuff for the Harman Kardon receiver. The H/K does have a pretty nice set of features for a stereo receiver, such as dedicated subwoofer outputs, main in and outs (allowing you to use it as a preamp or amplifier). It also has digital inputs (not commonly seen on stereo receivers, however it's mostly a useless feature). Another feature that could be nice is the iPod dock connectivity (dock sold separately). Being that I don't particularly care about digital inputs, sub preouts, or iPod crap the Adcom takes the cake here.

As WmAx mentioned above the quality of parts in Adcom equipment is much higher than Harman Kardon's current crop of gear. They will more than likely give you years of service.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis