Viewing 4K on a 1080p HDTV

Calvert

Calvert

Audioholic
I'm curious how 4K will look on maximum 1080p HDTV's? Your thoughts please.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Typically it will be softened at 75% of the image information will be thrown away.

Of course, since there is almost zero true 4K video out there, then it becomes a point which is rather moot right now. 4K is typically upconverted 1080p. Unless you have a video distribution system, your best bet is not to try to get four times the data down the same pipe that you are using for 1080p. That is, a 30Gb/s Blu-ray Disc feed of 1080p is likely to be a much better looking image overall than a 30Gb/s 4K feed. You are trying to quadruple the data, yet not increase the pipe size. You will quite likely take a hit on overall image quality.

The problem with 4K is not the display, it's the video itself. Compressing 4K today is as difficult as it was to compress 1080p a decade ago. It is tough to do right and sometimes takes hits in quality that aren't expected.

Calvert

Calvert

Audioholic
Typically it will be softened at 75% of the image information will be thrown away.

Of course, since there is almost zero true 4K video out there, then it becomes a point which is rather moot right now. 4K is typically upconverted 1080p. Unless you have a video distribution system, your best bet is not to try to get four times the data down the same pipe that you are using for 1080p. That is, a 30Gb/s Blu-ray Disc feed of 1080p is likely to be a much better looking image overall than a 30Gb/s 4K feed. You are trying to quadruple the data, yet not increase the pipe size. You will quite likely take a hit on overall image quality.

The problem with 4K is not the display, it's the video itself. Compressing 4K today is as difficult as it was to compress 1080p a decade ago. It is tough to do right and sometimes takes hits in quality that aren't expected.
While I certainly appreciate your response I am embarrassed to admit that I not understand all of your explanation. Specifically "Typically it will be softened at 75% of the image information will be thrown away.", "your best bet is not to try to get four times the data down the same pipe that you are using for 1080p".

Thank you

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
UHD has four times as many pixels as 1080p. 3840x2160 = 8 million pixels for UHD. 1080p is 1920x1080, or about 2 million pixels.

Pixels don't magically get to your TV, they use HDMI cables, and before that they are heavily compressed using an algorithm called a codec (compressor/decompressor). Broadcast television operates at under 21 megabits of data per second for high definition television. Blu-ray Disc operates at upwards of 30 meagbits of data per second.

Netflix UHD data runs around 12 megabits per second.

Think about that! They are telling you that your UHD video signal with four times as many pixels can be fed to your home using less than half the data required for 1080p. It's feeding four times the data through a pipe half the size, and then telling you that it's a BETTER image.

What is that level of nonsense that they have sold you?

1080p is about 2 million pixels. The best way to deliver those 2 million pixels is through Blu-ray Disc which operates at very high data rates.

There is no comparable way to deliver UHD video. Streaming isn't a realistic 'better' way to get UHD. Streaming has lower data rates, and simply doesn't deliver a better image.

So, if you want the best 1080p you can get, you start with 1080p, not with UHD.

Calvert

Calvert

Audioholic
Wow! Thank you so much. Do you have plans to move to 4K UHD or OLED?

All of our issues started because I want to go from a 46" to a 55". The plan was to go with a new Sony 1080p but they are dropping their better 1080p HDTV's. This leaves us with trying to find another high quality 1080p HDTV brand, if there is one to find, settle with what 1080p's are available or move to 4K UHD or OLED. I normally sit about 11' from the screen and understand that is too far away for a 46" 1080p not to mention 4K or OLED.

It is very considerate of you to share your expertise.
Louis

A

Andrew08

Audioholic Intern
if you do have a pc or laptop with hdmi 1.4 try it yourself at the local store. youtube have 4k content for you to try, notice the diff?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis