Video-switching in AVRs

L

LOUMFSG

Junior Audioholic
I am in the process of building a new home-theater system, and I'm looking at 50" plasma monitors. The I am basically planning only two or three video inputs - an HD feed from a comcast digital set-top-box, a DVD player which will output 480p via component cables, and possibly a second DVD player with 720p or 1080i output (I may wait for the next generation of HD-DVD or Blu-ray). Ideally, I would like to run all of the video through the AVR, mostly for ease of use for the family / babysitters (I can't tell you how many calls I've received from my wife or babysitter, complaining that there was no sound, etc. because of the complicated setup).

I guess I have several questions. First, is there a noticeable difference between component input vs HDMI input, as far as the picture is concerned? Some AVRs offer video upconversion (from composite or S-video to component) and there are different methods (one being TBC). If all of the video inputs to the AVR are component anyway, is upconversion even an issue? (I've read some things that suggest that component video can be "dumbed-down" by the AVR). Finally, even when an AVR indicates "HD" component output, I've seen 50MHz, 60MHz or 100MHz frequencies from different AVRs. Is there any noticeable difference in the picture quality, or are all of the above frequencies going to yield effectively the same picture quality?

Since the plasma is going to be by far the most expensive piece in the system, I just want to make sure that my choice of AVR doesn't cripple the video output. Thanks in advance for your help, and sorry for the long post.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Upconversion usually means it will upconvert from other connection types to component or HDMI. Image quality will not be improved. If you are going to do all component video and have enough inputs on the display, and they are all going to be within a reasonable distance of the display, I don't see a good reason to run the devices through the AVR.

When the first video switching AVRs came out, there were some issues with them not being able to handle the bandwidth for progressive scan and HD signals from STBs and PS DVD players, but that should not be an issue with current receivers, so I wouldn't worry about degrading the signal if you do choose to go that way.

Side note, why two DVD players? You'd be much better off just getting one very good one than two average ones.

L

LOUMFSG

Junior Audioholic
you wrote: "If you are going to do all component video and have enough inputs on the display, and they are all going to be within a reasonable distance of the display, I don't see a good reason to run the devices through the AVR."

Actually, the display I am considering comes with one component input. I can add an additional component input, or an HDMI input, but there is an additional cost for that. And as I said, running both the audio and video through the AVR together makes it a little easier for others to operate.

you wrote: "Side note, why two DVD players? You'd be much better off just getting one very good one than two average ones."

In addition to watching DVD's, I would also be able to listen to SACD and DVD-A, and I also would like a 5 or 6-disc changer, primarily for audio. I have seen some good quality units from Onkyo and Yamaha, but the video output is limited to 480p. I'm sure the video from one of those units will be fine, but in the future I may want to add an HD DVD player, specifically for video.

L

LOUMFSG

Junior Audioholic
my question, asked another way

of the following options for connecting my comcast HD feed from the digital set-top-box to the 50" HDTV plasma display:

- HDMI directly from the STB to the display
- component from the STB to an AVR, and component from the AVR to the display, where the AVRs component video frequency response is 5 Hz to 50 MHz
- component from the STB to an AVR, and component from the AVR to the display, where the AVRs component video frequency response is 5 Hz to 60 MHz
- component from the STB to an AVR, and component from the AVR to the display, where the AVRs component video frequency response is 5 Hz to 100 MHz

Will the picture look any different (noticeably by the human eye, anyway) for these options?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
In two different installations with Comcast HD STBs, to two different Samsung displays, one LCD and one DLP, in both cases component actually looked better than HDMI. That's just my experience. 60Mhz should be sufficient from what I understand, for progressive scan DVD players, so there shouldn't be a noticable difference between 60MHz and 100MHz, AFAIK, though I am no expert on that subject.

Since you want to use a single input on the display, then your line of thinking is fine.

If high quality audio is a priority, most changers probably won't cut it, IMO. That needs to be qualified by how critical you are going to be. If you just want SACD and DVD-A, but aren't going to be sitting and listening for every little detail, then a typical universal changer will probably be sufficient. If you are looking for a serious audio player, you're probably going to have to spend a bit more and I'd have to recommend you go with a quality single disc unit.

I understand the desire for a changer, which is why I have a separate audio only changer, and I selected my DVD player based on video performance in my price range.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis