howie85

howie85

Full Audioholic
Does anyone have any experience with video processors? Specifically like the DVDO iScan HD+. I am upgrading to a lcd rear projection Sony 60wf655 and am wondering if it would be worth the investment for the next few years to have all my signals upconverted to the best possible format for this TV. I am in a warranty exchange situation with Sony so I do not have many choices this seems the best available from the current line up. :rolleyes: I have seen many on display and the difference from standard signal to HD is quite noticable. Am I correct to think that a video processor will make most any signal HDish? Thanks for any input. Curt

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
No, you are not correct. HD begins as high quality video, it isn't cruddy video run through the magic HD machine to make it look so good.

Video processing will already be built into your Sony set. Get it first, hook things up, then if you want to try a video processor, be darn sure you buy from a place with a liberal return policy. I have used DVDO products, and while they can improve an image, I do not think the improvement is tremendous. It is marginal - at best. Quite often, it shows almost no improvement in image quality over the video processors that are inside the set already. A video processor's job is to change 480i and 480p into the native resolution of your display. It may do this very well, but your display already must change 480i and 480p into the native resolution of the display. The bottom line is that it still begins as 480 lines of 4:3 material - and can't be HD no matter what you do to it.

howie85

howie85

Full Audioholic
I was thinking of getting a upconverting dvd player but just bought a new combo player around Christmas. I was hoping this might be the next best thing and run all my video through it. Thanks for the info

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis