Vidabox LiivNAS Media NAS Preview

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
If you think 10 streams of HD video is overkill, the Vidabox LiivNAS isn't for you. Honestly, if you are no working with a custom installer, you probably don't need this product. But for those with complicated installs that want a central place for both storing and streaming media, the LiivNAS has a lot going for it. The price is very good for this market ($1349 base), Control4 and SONOS compatibility a must, and near unlimited storage means just about any install can be serviced. We're guessing custom installers are going to be flocking to the new Vidabox LiivNAS.

Discuss "Vidabox LiivNAS Media NAS Preview" here. Read the article.

JohnA

JohnA

Audioholic Chief
With "Drop-n-Rip" functionality, the LiivNAS allows you to load Blu-rays, DVDs, and CDs (unencrypted of course) simply by inserting the disc.
So correct me if I am wrong...but most if not all retail DVD/BR disks are encrypted...so it won't rip them??? Is that right?

jinjuku

jinjuku

So correct me if I am wrong...but most if not all retail DVD/BR disks are encrypted...so it won't rip them??? Is that right?
Correct. The disc that you present would have to be previously decrypted. It's an odd marketing angle and those that are in the know, know it is a bit disingenuous.

Given the devices functionality its a really good starting price and wondering if installer can order the base box and populate with their own drives.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
EDIT: If Audioholics needs a review of this product in a HDI Dune & Crestron environment - let me know! I would love to test it at some point.

Not much of a review in the preview, but I would expect that this box is just a micro PC with Windows running on it.

So, 'drop-n-rip' technology will rip any disc that is presented as unencrypted.

This means that the box itself does NOT ship with decryption software in it, but that, as the end-user, you can install decryption software if you so choose to do so.

This keeps the device itself 100% compliant with legal regulations about decrypting copyright protection.

Solution, as most already know, especially custom installers, is AnyDVD from Slysoft which does what this box can't do itself.

If people haven't read it, I had a long thread about what Dune is missing in their product, and this device is squarely aimed at dealing with that huge hole in their product line up.

When Is HDI Going To Get It? - MPC Club Community Board

The issue with Popcorn Hour, HDI Dune, WDTV, AppleTV, and everyone else really is the bridge between their product and the storage area/library.

This product appears to take care of that gap... big time! Not really an inexpensive solution though, and frankly, I would think the software package that runs on that box is one that should come with most media players when you purchase them.

Last edited:
adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
I just did a survey over on the PCH boards about their products. Almost everyone that has commented on the survey is telling them to hire the community guys to get their software fixed.

I don't see anything about how the vidabox will create a jukebox to replace what you are using now. It reads to me that it will just pick up the library of media and does not talk about an interface.

ratso

ratso

Full Audioholic
i saw that kaleidascape (huge bux media player) got around this issue of encryption by requiring that a blu-ray disk actually be inserted into the player before it can be streamed. which makes it ummm COMPLETELY FRIGGIN USELESS. why wouldn't you just insert the blu-ray disk into your oppo and play the damn thing? there still isn't a good way to rip blu-rays to a hard drive in full hd and full 5.1 surround and stream them. and if there is, someone let me know how to do it. i would love to archive my blu-rays.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I just did a survey over on the PCH boards about their products. Almost everyone that has commented on the survey is telling them to hire the community guys to get their software fixed.

I don't see anything about how the vidabox will create a jukebox to replace what you are using now. It reads to me that it will just pick up the library of media and does not talk about an interface.
BMX might have a good idea, but this box is *nix based - and good chance it is - no AnyDVD for you :(

Re: PCH, at least they are trying. NMJv2 and Ipad apps are steps in the right direction, albeit a small ones, but still .
From my recent research - Dune doesn't even try and without 3rd party software would be a nightmare to use

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
i saw that kaleidascape (huge bux media player) got around this issue of encryption by requiring that a blu-ray disk actually be inserted into the player before it can be streamed. which makes it ummm COMPLETELY FRIGGIN USELESS. why wouldn't you just insert the blu-ray disk into your oppo and play the damn thing? there still isn't a good way to rip blu-rays to a hard drive in full hd and full 5.1 surround and stream them. and if there is, someone let me know how to do it. i would love to archive my blu-rays.
It's not that useless, they have a 320 disk changer that you can keep the disks in.

There is no strait forward way to rip and stream blurays, but there are decent ways to go about it.

G

GospelTruth

Audiophyte
There are ways to do this, but nothing that I know of that is a single box solution. I don't think any company can make a single box solution that will decrypt and store your movies as there are copyright issues with that (I don't see it for the normal person though).

I use a WDTV Live media streamer and rip my movies to a NAS storage device connected to my router. I put pictures, music and movies on the NAS drive so that any computer/device in the house can access them. All movies are ripped to an ISO format that can be read by the WDTV Live streamer. With this solution I don't have to have the computer on to stream movies, only the NAS needs to be on. Additionally, I use DVDFab to rip my movies to the ISO format.

While I don't rip my blu-rays to the NAS (more because of space), it can be done and the WDTV Live will play them with a few caveats.

WDTV Issues with Blu-ray playback

You would probably be better off if you have a hard wire Ethernet connection in your house rather than wireless for blu-ray on a NAS as the connection speed would need to be pretty good or you'll have dropouts or lag.

I put my deal together for around $500. That includes the WDTV Live player at $89 on Amazon along with a NAS drive for $400 (using a Synology DS212j and two 2TB WD drives). The end result gives me 4TB of storage on my network. This is way cheaper than the option reviewed here although it's not a solution for someone who isn't tech savvy. We are extremely happy though with how this works in our house.

G

Grador

Why thank you, I now feel like a complete idiot for amassing all this computer equipment for a multiroom streaming setup. I'm just a little confused, how exactly does one use this to watch different movies in multiple location simultaneously, and how well does it's integral library work?

Would have been nice if I'd known about this option, would have saved me a lot of time and money.

ratso

ratso

Full Audioholic
Why thank you, I now feel like a complete idiot for amassing all this computer equipment for a multiroom streaming setup. I'm just a little confused, how exactly does one use this to watch different movies in multiple location simultaneously, and how well does it's integral library work?

Would have been nice if I'd known about this option, would have saved me a lot of time and money.

hmmm not sure why the hostility. anyhoo, the point is, streaming to multiple rooms is great. i was more making the point that the kaleidascape (which was an amazing product that was hobbled by the lawyers at the movie studios btw) just doesnt make any sense anymore for the price as you can do the same or similar things far cheaper. i was not comparing the sony to music or video streaming. :confused:

G

Grador

hmmm not sure why the hostility. anyhoo, the point is, streaming to multiple rooms is great. i was more making the point that the kaleidascape (which was an amazing product that was hobbled by the lawyers at the movie studios btw) just doesnt make any sense anymore for the price as you can do the same or similar things far cheaper. i was not comparing the sony to music or video streaming. :confused:
Hostility mostly because I was grumpy after work, sorry.

I agree that you can do the same thing cheaper, I have with my setup, but it's not nearly as slick and put together. The point I was making, which I missed putting in half of due to aforementioned grumpyness is that the disk changer was the primary means of ripping disks in their setup, there are only 2 scenarios that would make this hobbling effect anyone: If someone has more than 320 blurays they would need to buy a second extremely expensive changer. The second scenario involves copying rented or borrowed movies, which is technically illegal and I'm not sure you can call it hobbling on this front since...you shouldn't be doing that anyway.

Even with the restrictions imposed you can still watch the same movie on multiple screens simultaneously, as it just checks the disk to make sure it is there, it does not play off of it.

To sum up what I'm saying, I really don't see their stuff as being 'hobbled by lawyers' since it still maintains its full functionality, worse case scenario I have to spend another $800 on my media streaming system that already costs more than a luxury car.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
The second scenario involves copying rented or borrowed movies, which is technically illegal
a Few fine points:
a) Making a backup copy of movie you OWN on DVD/BD for your personal use is legal (*)
b) Making a copy of Rented or borrowed movies is absolutely illegal

(*) - While making backup copy is legal, breaking content protection scheme (which required to make a copy) is not... Its Kinda makes point A a moot point unfortunately.

The studio solution is a "digital copy" - which is heavily DRM'd system which extremely cumbersome and in a general pain in the butt..

G

Grador

a Few fine points:
a) Making a backup copy of movie you OWN on DVD/BD for your personal use is legal (*)
b) Making a copy of Rented or borrowed movies is absolutely illegal

(*) - While making backup copy is legal, breaking content protection scheme (which required to make a copy) is not... Its Kinda makes point A a moot point unfortunately.

The studio solution is a "digital copy" - which is heavily DRM'd system which extremely cumbersome and in a general pain in the butt..
The * is the reason why the kaleidascape servers work the way they do. They do not break the protection scheme when they rip the movies. To put it very basically, they go back to the disk to "unlock" the content which is then played from the server, which contains entirely encrypted content exactly how it was on the disk.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis