Vibration causing disc to skip

rgriffin25

rgriffin25

After several months of having an occasional skip on a movie or cd. I have finally found out that my Blu-ray player is shaking during loud scenes causing it to skip. I've done a little research and I have found vibrapods and other more expensive solutions. Any home made solutions anyone using? I have a hard time spending $25 on glorified rubber pads. Any suggestions? This is simply to reduce vibration not make golden unicorns fly out of my speakers. Thanks in advance for your response.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
What is it?

What is it in?

What is what it's in sitting on?

rgriffin25

rgriffin25

Several Music discs, blu-rays. In a large cabinet on a glass shelf. I just want to know if anyone knows of a material I can use to isolate the player from the cabinet without looking cheap that would be great.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
I have never done this, but my first idea was Dynamat. Pretty sure you know what it is, but it is designed line doors in cars to contain the sound and vibration.

If it were me, I would try to cut pieces to fit on the players feet. And/or, cut pieces to go under where the glass rests.

This is (2) sheets of 10" x 10".

http://www.amazon.com/Dynamat-DYNAMAT-10415/dp/B0002IEEFC/ref=sr_1_12?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1294715633&sr=1-12

Part# link at Dynamat site:
http://www.dynamat.com/products_car_audio_speaker_kit.html

rgriffin25

rgriffin25

Well, that's a lot better than what I had.:eek:
I'm sure this would work but I'm affraid its borderline snake oil. I also had your idea of using dynamat but would prefer something easier. It's been a long time Zumbo how have you been?

S

sparky77

Full Audioholic
I know it may sound strange, but have you tried adding any weight on top of the player? It seems to work in some cases because it keeps the unit from actually bouncing off the shelf. A ceramic dragon worked good with my old single disc cd player after I had upgraded my subwoofer at the time.

rgriffin25

rgriffin25

That does help minimize the vibration and may be a very good solution. Honestly I feel somewhat foolish that this has gone on for this long and it was something simple not a disc or player defect.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
After several months of having an occasional skip on a movie or cd. I have finally found out that my Blu-ray player is shaking during loud scenes causing it to skip. I've done a little research and I have found vibrapods and other more expensive solutions. Any home made solutions anyone using? I have a hard time spending $25 on glorified rubber pads. Any suggestions? This is simply to reduce vibration not make golden unicorns fly out of my speakers. Thanks in advance for your response.
Before you spend that $100 for those pads, may want to experiment with some soft foam, bubble wraps cut to small circles for the test and see if it helps. It only costs your time to experiment If this cures your ales, then go fancy if you want.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
If that is, in fact the issue, I would take it back and have them replace it because it is defective. Unless it is sitting on a running washing machine, vibration from the unit itself shouldn't be causing an issue like this.

If you want to test vibration damping you can try ANY soft rubber or foam from the hardware store. No need to buy something ridiculous.

B

BWG707

Audioholic
If you really want to go cheap and have decent look try using foam waterpipe insulaters. I've used them in the past under subs and they work suprisingly well. Good luck.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I'm wondering if j garcia is on to something here. rgriffin, report back on the various solutions. You can have an anti-vibrating material shootout report, haha.

The reason why I think j garcia is on to something is because I've never had a skip due to vibration with any BDP. I used to shake my picture, because the PJ used to sit on top of a bookshelf, and I've since pretty much solved that by finally splurging for a ceiling mount. My disc players are right next to a 5' wide, 280lbs subwoofer, and I've still not skipped once due to vibration. Ever.

rgriffin25

rgriffin25

This will be the third BD player in as many months. I think it is the shelving in my cabinet which is relatively thin glass. I'm off work tomorrow so I may stop by Lowes and see what I can come up with. I just figured that I wasn't the only person to have come across this problem especially since my subwoofer isn't 5' wide.. :eek: I've tried it on different sides of the cabinet as well. I will report back once I figure this out. Thanks for the responses guys!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
What I did with my rack was put some foam pads under each shelf (mine aren't glass) :) Since they just sit there, some of them with gear that doesn't weigh as much would vibrate from my sub and rattle. Foam = no rattle.

rgriffin25

rgriffin25

While at Lowes today I picked up some 1/2 foam furniture moving pads. They are very good fit on the feet of the Denon BD player. The good part was they were $4, so hopefully this will help..

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
I'm sure this would work but I'm affraid its borderline snake oil. I also had your idea of using dynamat but would prefer something easier. It's been a long time Zumbo how have you been?
I am well, thanks for asking. Just working on raising the little one.

If you haven't stopped-by Lowes yet, why not try the foam sticky (weather strip) that is made to seal a door. Usually hanging on taps like chips at the end of an isle. Cheap stuff. Just run a piece under each side of the glass shelf.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_96027-1410-S214/17H_4294858100+4294836298+4294965231_19_?productId=1114679&Ns=p_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_quantity_sold|1&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl_Frost%2BKing_4294858100%2B4294836298%2B4294965231_19_%3FNs%3Dp_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_quantity_sold|1&facetInfo=Door|Frost%20King

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
While at Lowes today I picked up some 1/2 foam furniture moving pads. They are very good fit on the feet of the Denon BD player. The good part was they were $4, so hopefully this will help..
Must have been typing my previous reply while you were posting.:eek:

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Yes, that is a cheap experiment;):D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis