VHS recording to DVD

O

Old Movie Fan

Audiophyte
Hello, everyone!
I am brand new to all of this and after reading all of your threads and postings I joined knowing that someone out there could help a helpless, newbie like me.
My problem is this:
I have an old VHS tape of one of my favorite shows and I would like to record it to a DVD but I haven't the first clue where to start. I have read other forums and I'm quite overwhelmed at what I need to do step by step to preserve this show onto DVD.
I have a DVD burner on my computer and a pretty good VCR but from that point I don't know where to go. If anyone out there can help me (keeping in mind, I know nothing about how to do this) I would greatly appreciate your help!
Thanks a bunch!

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
To convert VHS to DVD you basically need to capture the video output from the VCR, convert it to a digital video format (usually either DV or AVI), and then burn a DVD.

There are many video capture devices on the market and many of them come bundled with video editing and dvd burning software. Here is one article that mentions just one product: http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,125517-page,1/article.html

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Welcome to the forum!

Another option is to get a consumer DVD recorder like this one, or a combo VHS-DVD recorder like this one (both are just examples of what's out there). A lot of the VHS-DVD combos have one-button recording to dub a VHS tape to a DVD.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Hello, everyone!
I am brand new to all of this and after reading all of your threads and postings I joined knowing that someone out there could help a helpless, newbie like me.
My problem is this:
I have an old VHS tape of one of my favorite shows and I would like to record it to a DVD but I haven't the first clue where to start. I have read other forums and I'm quite overwhelmed at what I need to do step by step to preserve this show onto DVD.
I have a DVD burner on my computer and a pretty good VCR but from that point I don't know where to go. If anyone out there can help me (keeping in mind, I know nothing about how to do this) I would greatly appreciate your help!
Thanks a bunch!
Welcome to the forum!

If you don't plan to convert lots of tapes, maybe your option is a "conversion" house, they specialize on this type of thing. I've seen this company before, give them a call. Maybe it's less expensive than the other options.:)

http://t2dvd.com/

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Hello, everyone!
My problem is this:
Thanks a bunch!

Have you checked on line to see if your show is available on DVD? That might be the simplest solution, no commercials, better quality, etc.

O

Old Movie Fan

Audiophyte
Have you checked on line to see if your show is available on DVD? That might be the simplest solution, no commercials, better quality, etc.
The show is available on DVD or VHS but it's really expensive (just under $200) and the version available has scenes that were originally aired deleted so it's not the same show I have on tape.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
The show is available on DVD or VHS but it's really expensive (just under $200) and the version available has scenes that were originally aired deleted so it's not the same show I have on tape.
Then, I see two options: Buy a player that does this in the home, VHS on one side and a DVD recorder on the other, or as as suggested by stratman, find out how much by a conversion house. Figure out if you want other shows as well as now you may be talking a bit of $$ and your own may be more economical.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis