speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Folks, I just bought me (4) new CD's. One of them is used. All play w/no issues with the exception of one of them. For some reason or another, The Very Best of REO Speedwagon will NOT play on my computer. All of my other CD's do just fine. Even Hell Freezes Over on dvd plays and sounds really good. So, what the heck is wrong with my REO CD? I put it in my Sony BR player and it played just fine that way. It looks like there is nothing wrong w/the CD itself. So, why will it not play? Any ideas? That is the very one I wanted to play the most too. Was looking for High Infidelity but to no avail. The Very Best of REO has a lot of good songs on it. Just very perplexed as to why it will NOT play on my computer? Thought? Help?

Cheers,

Phil

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Yeah, I've had a few CDs here and there that just don't play nice with specific players for some reason. I've seen it with both commercial CDs and CDRs.

I will say that the worst I have seen of this problem has been on Memorex CD-Rs.

To state the obvious--
It may be worth cleaning the CD and/or the CD Player Lens

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah, I've had a few CDs here and there that just don't play nice with specific players for some reason. I've seen it with both commercial CDs and CDRs.

I will say that the worst I have seen of this problem has been on Memorex CD-Rs.

To state the obvious--
It may be worth cleaning the CD and/or the CD Player Lens
The CD is brand new. My computer basically is as well. All of my other CD's play no problem. At first, I thought that the REO CD was defective. But, it plays in my Sony BR player w/no problem. Weirdest thing that I have ever seen. I don't have any CD-R's/RW's. Oh well, it far from the worst that has ever happened to me......LOL!!

Cheers,

Phil

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Yes, this is curious indeed. No idea, just guessing. ;)
There may be something encoded on it that the computer player just doesn't recognise?
I guess you can maybe burn it from your BD player somehow?

How about a test on a friend's computer?

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Yes, this is curious indeed. No idea, just guessing. ;)
There may be something encoded on it that the computer player just doesn't recognise?
I guess you can maybe burn it from your BD player somehow?

How about a test on a friend's computer?
Yeah, that is a good idea. Will try it on another computer and see what happens. Don't have a BR burner but do have a CD/DVD burner. Will try to get that done soon. Thanks!

Cheers,

Phil

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Folks, I just bought me (4) new CD's. One of them is used. All play w/no issues with the exception of one of them. For some reason or another, The Very Best of REO Speedwagon will NOT play on my computer. All of my other CD's do just fine. Even Hell Freezes Over on dvd plays and sounds really good. So, what the heck is wrong with my REO CD? I put it in my Sony BR player and it played just fine that way. It looks like there is nothing wrong w/the CD itself. So, why will it not play? Any ideas? That is the very one I wanted to play the most too. Was looking for High Infidelity but to no avail. The Very Best of REO has a lot of good songs on it. Just very perplexed as to why it will NOT play on my computer? Thought? Help?

Cheers,

Phil
If you have been collecting large numbers of CDs for years like I have then you know they are a few CDs that will play in some players and not others.

That is the reason you need a variety of drives in your system.

I guess some CDs are just a little out of spec, but in different ways. Different drives must tolerate different types of errors.

You have just found out like a lot of us that one CD drive is not sufficient.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Don't have a BR burner but do have a CD/DVD burner. Will try to get that done soon. Thanks!

Cheers,

Phil
That is what I meant, somehow use the BD and send the signal to a burner? Or, just a direct CD burner;) :D
I rarely burn music so no good recollection.

Just a thought came to mind from bored's link: can you open the cd file and see contents show up? If tracks show then just start with the first that way.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
If you have been collecting large numbers of CDs for years like I have then you know they are a few CDs that will play in some players and not others.

That is the reason you need a variety of drives in your system.

I guess some CDs are just a little out of spec, but in different ways. Different drives must tolerate different types of errors.

You have just found out like a lot of us that one CD drive is not sufficient.
Never knew that I may need more than one drive. The REO CD is marked 2008. When I load it into the disk drive on my computer, all it says is pdf. All of my other CD's show tracks numbered 1 thru ? The REO CD does not do that. However, I did load it into my Sony BR player connected to my TV and I be darn it played and showed the tracks. To me, this is a bit odd. Luckily, I did NOT pay that much for it. But, it was the very one that I wanted to hear the most.......LOL!!!!! Just my luck!

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
That is what I meant, somehow use the BD and send the signal to a burner? Or, just a direct CD burner;) :D
I rarely burn music so no good recollection.

Just a thought came to mind from bored's link: can you open the cd file and see contents show up? If tracks show then just start with the first that way.
On the REO CD is does NOT show the tracks like it does on all of my other CD's. All it shows is pdf file. I try to hit the play icon and it does NOTHING. Like I said, this is certainly odd......LOL!!!!

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
PDF? Yes, odd and curious indeed.
Yeah, that is all it says. Never seen that before. Too bad I am NOT a computer guru.....LOL!!!!! My neighbor will be home over the weekend and I will try it in his computer. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Cheers,

Phil

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Yeah, that is all it says. Never seen that before. Too bad I am NOT a computer guru.....LOL!!!!! My neighbor will be home over the weekend and I will try it in his computer. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Cheers,

Phil
With that type of file showing up, chances are good the same no play will happen. Bummer.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
With that type of file showing up, chances are good the same no play will happen. Bummer.
Will see what happens. My neighbor is out of town until late in the weekend. Just curious to see what will happen. Will let you know.

Cheers,

Phil

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
I've had CD's skip on my old Samsung blu-ray player. No problems on my Marantz CD player. Maybe the lens on the PC drive is geared more toward processing 'data' as opposed to the way music is burned onto a CD?

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
Maybe your computer really hates Keep On Lovin' You.

You might try alternative software like VLC to play it. You might be able to rip it and re-burn it to CDR.

Jim

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I've had CD's skip on my old Samsung blu-ray player. No problems on my Marantz CD player. Maybe the lens on the PC drive is geared more toward processing 'data' as opposed to the way music is burned onto a CD?
That is a good possibility no doubt. But, honestly I am not for sure. The CD is brand new so I don't believe there are any scratches on it. Just a very odd occurrence.

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Maybe your computer really hates Keep On Lovin' You.

You might try alternative software like VLC to play it. You might be able to rip it and re-burn it to CDR.

Jim
I am actually wanting to create my own playlist via a 32 GB flash drive. Not really wanting to load my CD's onto my hard drive. My plan is to load ALL of my CDs on a flash drive or two. Then, make backups of them as well. That way, the flash drive just plays on and on w/o interruption. Used to have a ton of CDs but over time they have slowly disappeared. Some CDs have really good songs and some no so good. Using a flash drive I can create my own playlist of songs I deem good!

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
This makes me wonder if the CD is mastered as a mixed mode CD. Explanation here, but no fix. Maybe there's a way you could take BSA's advice and rip / re-burn it, or just rip to FLAC and leave it on your hard drive.
You know Rojo this may be the actual problem here. Both you and BSA are onto something. But, I am not using Windows Media Player. Instead it says PowerDVD. How do I get WMP to open up? Maybe that will fix the problem in and of itself. I will look and see if I can find it and get back to you.

Cheers,

Phil

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis