Verizon to Offer Streaming Netflix Alternative?

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
When Verizon launched Fios several years ago, it was one of the newest challenges to traditional cable or satellite TV that had occurred in recent history. Then came the onslaught of streaming media services like Netflix, VUDU, Hulu Plus and others like Amazon Video on Demand. But since then, the cable and satellite companies have been merely presenting Slingbox-style solutions for relocating their existing content to the Internet and mobile universe. With that said, Verizon's announcement of plans to launch a standalone service that would let customers stream content like TV and movies would appear to directly take on the media streaming giants.

Discuss "Verizon to Offer Streaming Netflix Alternative?" here. Read the article.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
It's an interesting development. Verizon already offers FiOS customers a lot of free video on demand. Mostly popular current TV shows and such as an alternative to DVRing, but also for some niche networks that aren't popular enough to rate a channel.

M

m_vanmeter

Full Audioholic
I think Verizon has also announced recently that they have "nearly completed" their FiOS buildout. So, if you can't get FiOS now, you probably will not in the future. All these new services are a moot issue for those not residing in large population urban areas.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah. That's unfortunate. I'd much rather have fios than u-verse (not that I went with u-verse, but it is available in my area).

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Isn't it great! We will have 400 companies who share absolutely nothing and won't integrate at all, and won't work with anything except their proprietary bottom dollar junk.

This is exactly the future I expected and why I will have a job until I die.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Isn't it great! We will have 400 companies who share absolutely nothing and won't integrate at all, and won't work with anything except their proprietary bottom dollar junk.
man you hit it right on the head..

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
That's interesting because they were also supposedly talking to CoinStar about a Redbox deal. I think it could go either way. Verizon is funny they have a corporate policy of competing on providing best of breed products and service (other than billing) and avoiding price competition. I wonder which they see as the best fit to become best of breed at streaming.

Verizon's Denies Netflix Takeover Talk, Might Be Interested in Redbox - HotHardware

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis