Verizon fios tv anyone?

R

ragged

Senior Audioholic
My brother-in-law just had his installed, and I must say, it's the best picture I've ever seen. HD is awesome, even the regular digital channels are crisp and sharp. He's got a dell 42 plasma.

I had their fiberoptic internet service installed last week and it's great. Can't wait till their fios tv service is available in my area.

If it's available in your area, go for it. My plan 5/2 is only 29 dollars/month, compared to comcast 1.5/.3 which was $39/month. The only things is, they remove the copper interface/wires outside your house, so once you switch to fiber, theres no going back.

zipper

zipper

Full Audioholic
Where is this? Texas?

They're just beginning to build it here in WA..................it'll most likely be 1-2 years before any video is available, although the other services will be ready in many areas this year.

I talked to someone else who has the service already & he said the same thing.

R

ragged

Senior Audioholic
Nope, in Maryland. A couple counties already have fios tv and internet. Virginia as well. Kellar Texas was the first area to have the services available.

Resident Loser

Resident Loser

Senior Audioholic
Hmmm...

ragged said:
The only things is, they remove the copper interface/wires outside your house, so once you switch to fiber, theres no going back.
...well, since it's only a method of delivery, they could simply turn off your video and data options leaving you with just POTS via the fiber or disconnect all of it and re-run the loop, terminating it the existing copper facilities and reinstall the conventional network interface...I'd bet they'd just opt for the first as there would be no premises visit required, just a simple change of translation in the local switch.

jimHJJ(...simple as a few keystrokes...)

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
So I'm assuming "fios" is simply TV and internet delivered via fiber optic cables? I can get that from my local small cable company. The catch is that it costs a pretty penny to have the line run to the house. Fiber optics will be mainstream some day and it will make for better TV and faster internet. I can't wait.

What I can wait for is if/when I move out of my cable company's service area and have to sign up with one of the big guys (slower speeds, lesser service, and higher prices). I can walk into the main office down the street and get my problem solved right away.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis