Velodyne Microvee subwoofer

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
That's great it is 9x9 and costs $1100. What a bargin :rolleyes: Yes, I know it is more difficult to go smalller in general, but they are claiming it will fill even a larger room; granted it does also only claim -3dB at 38Hz.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
yeah, the next available size is the spl1000R/SC10 which have 12" cubed ... and should only be a few bucks more expensive ...

I think it will be rare for people to actually need the 3" difference from 12" to 9"

this one must be the competitor to axiom's tiny subwoofer that's also very expensive.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
That's great it is 9x9 and costs $1100. What a bargin :rolleyes: Yes, I know it is more difficult to go smalller in general, but they are claiming it will fill even a larger room; granted it does also only claim -3dB at 38Hz.
I'd rather spend $1100 on that sub then any Bose "midrange accelerator". You're forgetting that this subwoofer isn't just an amp, a CNC'd MDF box, and a cheap driver. It has VERY over engineered 6.5inch drivers, with a POWERFUL amp, and an Aluminum enclosure. That sounds like $1100 to me...

SheepStar

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The enclosure does...that is pretty interesting, but aluminum is cheap enough that it shouldn't really cost that much to make for a 9x9 cube. That means a fat chunk of that money went into the active driver and the amp.

I'll bet it sounds good with music :)

K

kenhoeve

Audioholic
It is actually dubbed the MiniVee.

I had one due to space constraints. That was before I discovered the wonder tool known as a sawzall and expanded my available subwoofer space. Twice. Lol.

For 9x9, it was really impressive. There was no low hz you could actually feel, but it did provide a low frequency foundation throughout our very large living area, ie, you didn't know it was there but when you shut it off the floor would fall out of the music. It kept up at high db's remarkably well and soundwise it was pretty seamless.

I think the market is there. The smallest best sub you can get is a worthwhile niche. Don't make me say the 4 letter word.:D

edit- my mistake! I had the minivee 8''.

Last edited:
W

warpdrive

Full Audioholic
That looks cool just because of the aluminum enclosure. I think it's a bit pricey but if you actually need something that small, I guess this is as good as they get for an ultrasmall sub.

I think there is something inherent cool about subs that are small and very high quality. I bought a SB12+ which is amazing for its size. The Velo MiniVee/Microvees/Ultracubes/Supercubes/Sunfire are also in the same market space. Above that the JL Audio subs put out numbers and sound quality that compares to much bigger subs. I just like small boxes which can put out a big whallop

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
We'll just have to wait for Tom Nousaine to do the torture testing on this puppy :D
Yes, that -3dB at 38Hz, but what power level is that and can it maintain it at max output at say 63Hz?:D

K

kenhoeve

Audioholic
if my minivee with 8" woofer and 10x10x13 dimension is of any guide, the answer to the prior is yes.

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
It is easy to get better performance for a lot less money simply by going with a larger size. Beyond the coolness factor, it is hard for me to see why anyone would need a sub that small. Surely a room big enough for a tv, speakers and furniture would have an empty corner big enough for a 12" cube!

dorokusai

dorokusai

Full Audioholic
I love the idea of a micro-subwoofer and use ours in a spare room that the wife put tight constraints on for stereo gear. I have crap all over the place so I had to capitulate since she wears one leg of the pants. The market exists for sure but there is absolutely no replacement for displacement.

Mark
Polk Audio CS

dorokusai

dorokusai

Full Audioholic
No kidding. When I saw a Honda Civic beat a Dodge Viper.....

Mark

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I saw a normally aspirated 89 Civic get a better time than a Viper GTS at an auto-x event :D

One leg of the pants, LOL. I have the leg with the pocket though....

A $1100 sub shouldn't be "cute" and wife friendly if you ask me. It should kill insects within 20ft and cause small animals to run and hide.

Last edited:
D

dem beats

Senior Audioholic
A $1100 sub shouldn't be "cute" and wife friendly if you ask me. It should kill insects within 20ft and cause small animals to run and hide.
EXACTLY!

It I dont' have to call the local police department and let them know I'm gonna watch master and commander again and have some ear plugs on every couch seat....

Speaking of turbo, you can get yoru HSU HO with a turbo.

woot

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I can't wait for Master & Commander to come out on Blu-ray in a few weeks here (Oct 2nd) so I can put my Tempest and the window caulking to the test :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis