Velodrome uld-12 just died

T

Thiel6730

Audioholic Intern
well my faithfully velodyne uld-12 just died after about 24 years of use. I was already having trouble with the servo but the woofer just popped. I think probably due to rot.

Looking for a replacement. I have a large room. 4200 cu ft that opens into another room with about 3000 cu ft.

I'm still running 5.1. I will probably replace my receiver as well as its also over 20 years old. A Sony DA50ES.

Speakers are Thiel 1.6's powered by a emotiva XPA-3

My initial thoughts are (2) svs sb2000 or (1) svs13ultra.

Suggestions appreciated.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I wanted to know what a Velodrome sub was. :confused:

Just one sub will do in your room?

T

Thiel6730

Audioholic Intern
Lol something Mad Max would use.

I could definitely use two but I listen to more music than movies. Also I have to deal with the waf.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Multiple subs aren't necessarily to benefit movies, they're more about more even bass response through your room....I use 4 quite large subs in a space similar to yours and fantastic with both movies and music. SVS is nice enough but I'd look at Rythmik and PSA, too and perhaps others. What's your budget? Particular finish requirements, or size limits?

T

Thiel6730

Audioholic Intern
Budget would probably max out at $2500. Finish material is not terribly important but size is a definite issue. 15x15 would be the absolute largest. That's why I was considering (2) sb2000 which are basically a 14.2 cube. I might could go larger for one but it would take some work.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
For your size restrictons, a couple SB2000s is probably the best you can do.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, for budget and size restrictions a pair of SB2000s sounds good.

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
Looking for a replacement. I have a large room. 4200 cu ft that opens into another room with about 3000 cu ft.

My initial thoughts are (2) svs sb2000 or (1) svs13ultra.
That's a big room to be using such tiny subwoofers. Any chance you can go with something a bit larger than a 15" cube? If so, there are quite a few options.

T

Thiel6730

Audioholic Intern
I could squeeze a svs 13 ultra into the same spot my velodyne occupied but the wife will not allow anything any bigger. I'm forced to use our family room and unfortunely I'm restrained in how big I can go. That spot is hidden so the finish is not important. If I add a 2nd sub I've just been advised that since it will be visible the finish is now important.

It is a incredibly big space. It's our family room which is basically connected to our dining and kitchen with only two large open arches between the two. Its also attached to a arched opening which leads into the front part of the house. Probable another 3000 cu ft of open space.

I never really cranked the volume with the velodyne. I bought it because I wanted a sub that could keep up with my Thiels. At the time of purchase most of the brands being recommended didn't exist. I wasn't willing to build my own and uld 12 was one of the best subs you could buy almost 30 years ago.

As I see. Times have definitely changed.

As far as going bigger. I might be able to get two ultras in opposite corners but one would have to be hooked up wirelessly

T

Thiel6730

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for the advice. I talked to Tom at psa and decided to purchase a s1500.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Nice! Now buy the girl something nice so you can have another! Wireless is easy to do...

T

Thiel6730

Audioholic Intern
Lol I hate I'm back in the game. The each is strong. Now I'm looking at oppo players

T

Thiel6730

Audioholic Intern
Just a update for everyone who helped and provided advice. I post some of this in the other thread I started when I was looking for advise. The Yamaha a840 has arrived along with the PSA S1500 and after a bit of struggle figuring out the operation everything is going great. The network connectivity has been great.

Here are a few points I love on the Yamaha

1. I love being able to use a app on my phone to control most of the functions of the receiver.
2. AirPlay solved one of my key issues with getting music out of my phone.
3. I'm enjoying HDMI switching. Impossible before.
4. The amp has suprised me. My emotiva gets louder and seems to provide more slam but the yahama sounds good. I could probably be happy with it alone. This was not the case with my Sony. I was never quite happy The Sony always sounded a tad bright. Not so with the Yamaha. This could be a result of the onboard room correction.
4. Finally the room correction is nice and easily tweak-able.

Now to the S1500.
WOW!!

25 years ago my velodyne uld-12 was around $2200. To say I've been pleased with its performance would be a understatement. However the s1500 is simply in another league. The biggest difference is watching movies. I'm discovering stuff I never heard or felt before. Unfortunately for my wallet I'm already considering adding another.

Thanks for the help.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis