Valuation? EMP 5.1 Impression Series

caleb2001r

caleb2001r

Junior Audioholic
Hey guys. Back on 09' I believe it was, I jumped on a sweet deal for this package of speakers. I've been looking online and it's hard to pinpoint a selling price for me to put them on the market. How should I figure how much they're worth if I'm selling them?

Here's what I have:

• (2) E5Ti Tower Speakers
  • (2) E5Bi Bookshelf Speakers
  • (1) E5Ci Center Channel
  • (1) ES10i Powered Subwoofer
  • (2) Bookshelf Speaker Stands

I really think I'm spoiled with this set, but we've downgraded our home now and also have a 1 yr. old baby. We're concerned about the towers falling over with him pulling on everything and are honestly just short on living room space. It seems that speakers don't lose value all that fast (which is great!), but I wanted to get an expert opinion before I probably sell myself short.

My wife wants me to pick up a small set of Bose speakers (eek), so if you have any recommendations on a tiny speaker setup like the Bose sets that perform well, yet more affordable, I'm all ears.

Thanks in advance for any help.

caleb2001r

caleb2001r

Junior Audioholic
These are yours right? Impression Series 5.1 Home Theater Package 2 I'd say If they mint you could get like $900-1,000 range.
Yea, those are the ones. Definitely mint condition. Grills all intact, sub is scratchless; very clean. I didn't think used would knock off $300-$400. :( But if it's a quick sale then all the better.

Thanks for your input! I'll take a look at that speaker suggestion too. Do you think I'd still need a sub or would I be fine with two of those?

caleb2001r

caleb2001r

Junior Audioholic
What is your budget? How big is your room? Maybe some NHT SuperOnes used(Craigslist/Ebay). Those have good bass and go for $100-140 mostly for the pair. You could get this If it's a small/medium size room: Amazon.com: Velodyne VX-11: Electronics
It would probably be no more than $300-$400 for speakers and a sub, if I got a sub. Here's a quick mockup of the living area I'm working with.

I have my TV on the 12" north wall there since that's a window and it avoids glare. The way the house is designed, the south openings acts as an open hallway, so a TV and speaker system is no bueno there.

It's either that north wall or the Eastern, but then I don't know how to situate the living room furniture (if I chose East).

That speaker and sub combo looks very affordable though - thanks for that suggestion.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I agree, why sell any more than you have to?

If you're only worried about the towers just try and sell those and maybe replace them with two more bookshelves from emp

EMP Tek E41-B Bookshelf Speaker

This way you can wall mount your bookshelves, keeping them up and out of the way, your center stays on whatever entertainment center you have, or you can build a shelf over the tv so it's nice and out of the way and keep the sub for now until you can upgrade later.

Just a thought.

caleb2001r

caleb2001r

Junior Audioholic
Wow. Selling the towers (I actually don't have the rear two set up because they'd need to be on the stands, and those fall over easily) makes a ton of sense. Just use the 10" I have now (have to find a creative way to hide it), and two bookshelves and I'm good.

I have a center channel as well from the set. Hrm. OR. Just put the Towers in a closet until we get a house with a home theater. I mean - the EMP system is a really nice setup, no?

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Yes the EMP system you have is pretty nice, I wouldn't rush off to sell it. Putting the towers away and using the bookshelves you have to replace them could give you a 2.1 setup for now and then you add the towers back in later. Otherwise you could save the towers, buy two more bookshelves from emp and have a 5.1 setup again.

If you bought another set of bookshelves you could also wall mount them in another room for a zone 2. Lots of different options and configurations without selling anything, which would be a bad decision if you like them.

Especially especially especially if it means your wife is going to push you towards bose :eek:

caleb2001r

caleb2001r

Junior Audioholic
Yea, I cringe every time the warden says, "But I want those little speakers! They sound nice right?". I guess I need to throw in a Bluray and blow her socks off, but hard to get her excited about watching her normal Housewives show. :rolleyes:

The main problem is this set is in the main living area, and it really deserves to be in a home theater room. My next house will have that, so I'm just going to take your suggestions and just hang on to the full set and go 2.1 for now with the rear bookshelves and put the towers away.

Awesome guys - thanks so much for the guidance.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Hey anything to help a brotha from being subjected to a life with those little satellites :D

caleb2001r

caleb2001r

Junior Audioholic
Just a quick update. Moved my towers into an empty closet, and put my rear bookshelves in the front. Wife loves em. :)

Should I even keep the center channel up? At the moment I have two bookshelves, center, 10" sub to a RX-V665 Receiver.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Yes, as good as the bookshelves are, if you're watching tv or a movie you'll definitely lose a lot of dialogue since the bookshelves are trying to reproduce all the other sounds that you'd normal get through them, no sense in trying to add dialogue to that mix if you can help it.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Just a quick update. Moved my towers into an empty closet, and put my rear bookshelves in the front. Wife loves em. :)

Should I even keep the center channel up? At the moment I have two bookshelves, center, 10" sub to a RX-V665 Receiver.
Agree with Fuzzmeister. Glad it worked well and the Wifey is happy. Now turn that sucker up!:eek::D

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan

And it took less than 24 hours! I would keep the center - a good 3.1
can sound real good.

caleb2001r

caleb2001r

Junior Audioholic
Awesome - thanks fellas! You all saved me from selling these bad boys. What was I thinkin'. :confused:

Leaving the center channel there like you guys suggest.

C

clostoyo

Enthusiast
Great dicisision , I have a pair of EMP e5ti and I love them . I used them for music and they sound great . Have you looked into the outriggers that EMP sells for the towers ? That can help in the future so that the kids don't knock them over.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
The outriggers will help, but I'd probably just wait until they're either 8+ or you're able to put them in their own room. Nothing like having your kid accidentally put a finger, head, toy, or some other object through one of your drivers. Outriggers or not, little kids are like cannon balls and even when you think you've child proofed something they always seem to surprise you :eek: :D

Speakers and kids don't mix, just like speakers and pets. Either keep them hidden away or fence them off :p

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis