using passive HDMI splitter with receiver

S

Sylar

Full Audioholic
I require an HDMI splitter (prefer passive). This is how I intend to use the splitter.
One source (PC). Splits its output such that, one to receiver and other to TV. Only one or the other will be used at anytime.
1. While browsing it goes directly from PC to TV (dont need receiver).
2. For Movies & Music, it goes through my receiver to the TV.

Would I require an active splitter or would this suffice for me?
This is what am looking at for the passive splitter.
Video/Audio Splitter - HDMI® M to HDMI® F X 2 - Monoprice.com

R

ReUpRo

Full Audioholic
Could you tell us why you are splitting? If your receiver does HDMI pass through, you shouldn't need the splitter.

What receiver are you using?

S

Sylar

Full Audioholic
Ive given up on the pass through and decided not to use it.
1. Had some strange issues, and they have gone away since i disabled passthrough. (dont ask me what issues since I dont remember now)
2. Pass through never worked 100% of times. I have always needed to resort to switching on the amp now and then.

Hence i prefer to use a splitter. Are you recommending not to use it?

R

ReUpRo

Full Audioholic
If you're up for the effort, we can retry the pass through option and be 100% sure it will not work before you spend money.

The splitter you linked is definitely an option and I see no problem with your using it.

S

Sylar

Full Audioholic
thanks. will get this anyways.
I have couple of issues i need to check with my PC and receiver. So will come back to it when i get the time. Been quite busy of late. There is another thread that had opened with an issue that i have left in the middle cos i got busy.

Need to check these issues slowly with more patiently. Quick checks have not helped me resolve it.

R

ReUpRo

Full Audioholic
Oh okay. I'll find the other thread and catch up on the pass through issues.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I require an HDMI splitter (prefer passive). This is how I intend to use the splitter.
One source (PC). Splits its output such that, one to receiver and other to TV. Only one or the other will be used at anytime.
1. While browsing it goes directly from PC to TV (dont need receiver).
2. For Movies & Music, it goes through my receiver to the TV.

Would I require an active splitter or would this suffice for me?
This is what am looking at for the passive splitter.
Video/Audio Splitter - HDMI® M to HDMI® F X 2 - Monoprice.com
I have never heard of a passive HDMI splitter that would be any use. The one you linked states it will not pass the HTCP DRM codes, so it is useless.

R

ReUpRo

Full Audioholic
I have never heard of a passive HDMI splitter that would be any use. The one you linked states it will not pass the HTCP DRM codes, so it is useless.
TLS Guy, the OP is using only a PC. Is the PC's HDMI output signal with copy protection?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
TLS Guy, the OP is using only a PC. Is the PC's HDMI output signal with copy protection?
If he is playing copyrighted material and not illegal copies yes. Netflix and other streaming sites are also protected. My HTPC board is HDCP certified. I would never use a rig that would not pass HDCP codes. I'm pretty sure any board with an HDMI output has to be able to handle all the HDCP codes and be able to deal with them.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis