Using my Radio Shack Digital Sound Meter

Calvert

Calvert

Audioholic
Before measuring and adjusting speaker level I set all level at 0.0. Next, I set my sound meter's range on 80 because sound is easy to measure at that setting. With the meter at ear level and positioned straight to the horizontal mid point of the AV. I also adjust all speakers to 80db for no particular reason. Now, please tell me if I am using my meter correctly? If not please provide best practices.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

Might try 75 dB as a target, as it’s easier on the ears, but you’re on the right track. However, if your system is surround sound (e.g. 5.1) then point the meter straight up, not forward. Also you’ll probably want to calibrate your subwoofer (if you have one) about 10 dB hotter. The meter should be set for C weighting.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Calvert

Calvert

Audioholic
Thank you so much Wayne. I did exactly as you instructed. A new question. When the meter powers up as I set the range the word LO appears. Am I correct in assuming this refers to the battery?

Louis

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

It means the signal (noise) level the mic is picking up is below the range you have selected. For instance, if you have selected the 70 dB range, it will register (If I recall) signals 10 dB above or below 70 dB. So if the room is quiet, the background noise is below 60 Hz and the meter will get the low indicator. If the signal is above 80 dB, it will read “HI.”

Basically,if the meter shows "HI" or "LO" you need to move the selector to the position that gets a reading.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
I mount my meter on a camera tripod and stand as far away from the meter as is practicable.

Toy

Toy

Audioholic Intern
What if I have two subwoofers, Do I still calibrate it at 85dB?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
What if I have two subwoofers, Do I still calibrate it at 85dB?
Or 75. Just match the sub of the rest of the speakers.

I’ll use 75 for an example. Turn on only one sub, and run the tone. Set the volume at say, 72. Turn off that sub and turn on the second one, and set it for 72db. Turn on both and remeasure. You should be close enough to adjust the trim in the avr to wherever you like. Most of us run them at least a couple dB higher, and 5db isn’t uncommon.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis