using front projector as a rear projection

A

apilon

Enthusiast
Good evening all,

I read something last week about using a front projector as a rear projection with a special screen but cannot remember where i read that.

anyone know where i could find information about that method and how to set it up

Thanks

alain

MACCA350

MACCA350

Audioholic Chief
You can use material like this and set you pj up behind the screen, most projectors have settings for rear projection(the image will be reversed).

There is a heap of info about how to build one in this article from here

I've always wondered about using an adjoining room for a rear projection setup and have a one-way mirror in front of the screen material to allow the light from the screen into the viewing room and block any light from the viewing room from washing out the screen behind the one-way mirror. If it worked I could have the lights up full and not washout the screen or effect the on screen blacks. One day I'll try it out on a small scale and see how it works.

cheers:)

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Adding the word 'front' to projectors is common, but is really a mistake. Most people associate RPTV with those all-in-one boxes that contain a projector, screen, and some mirrors inside to get the image up. Projectors can be setup four standard ways for almost all projectors in the world: Table mounted front, ceiling mounted front, table mounted rear, ceiling mounted rear.

There are some serious advantages to going rear projection and some serious drawbacks.

The biggest advantage is that the room you are in does not have to be nearly as light controlled as with front projection. You can get very good results and maintain a high level of contrast with a fairly well lit room.

The down sides?

1. The room the projector is in must be dark. Not a big deal if this is a storage room.

2. Rear projection passes through a screen surface and can cause a bit of a ghosting effect when it hits both layers it passes through.

3. Rear projection tends to look just a bit less sharp overall due to passing through a material instead of bouncing off the surface of a material.

4. You must have enough room behind the screen to throw the rear projection image.

Some of those 'down sides' are more like cautionary notes. If you have the space and a dark room for rear projection, then the final result can look almost as good as front projection in a very dark room.

FYI: All major screen manufacturers including Carada, Stewart, and DaLite offer rear screen projection materials. Check their websites!

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
4. You must have enough room behind the screen to throw the rear projection image.
!
That would be a big downside as on large screens you need lots of distance.

B

billnchristy

Senior Audioholic
I think the best use of this is outdoors.

When we were at the Daytona 24hr this year they played Stroker Ace and Rocky Horror on a large inflatable screen. Instead of having the PJ in the crowd, it was fired from the opposite direction.

Worked pretty decent, but I cant imagine it being very useful in a home enviornment, nor very advantageous.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis