Using a Blu-Ray Player as a CD Player..use HDMI or analog inputs?

F

felipe

Audioholic
Hi all. I was given an older Samsung Blu-Ray player by a co-worker of mine. For some reason it can't play BDs anymore. I looked up the model number ( BD-C5900 ), and it turns out this issue is a common one. However, it plays DVDs and CDs just fine. One good reason to break out my CD collection ;).
This BDplayer has analog outputs ( which you really don't see anymore ), but my AVR has an HDMI input for SA-CD/CD audio only. Also, my AVR has an "analog direct" mode when using the analog inputs, which bypasses tone controls and DSP processing.
Which would be better? Thanks in advance ;)

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
My recommendation is to hook up both connection and then check to see which one you prefer. I say that because, well, you probably will do it eventually just to verify for yourself which is better. :D Odds are that the HDMI connection is going to sound better and it's a lot easier with just one cable, but some folks prefer analog connections. It's possible that the Samsung has a better set of DACs than the Sony AVR, but probably not - and it likely wouldn't be noticeable with how good even low-end DACs are these days.

F

felipe

Audioholic
Thanks for the input Adam. So far I've been using the analog connection in "analog direct" mode, and it sounds...well...analog lol. It's kind of bass heavy, the mids seem to be a bit recessed, but the highs seem to be clean and clear.
I also tried it in 2ch mode, but with the additional processing it made the mids sound "unnatural" to me. I put it back in analog direct mode.
It could be the cables I'm using, which are DIY's.. RG-59 single copper braid shielding with 20AWG solid copper core terminated with compression style RCA connectors.
Later on I'll use the HDMI connection to see how that sounds ;). How did you know I was going to try both connections Adam?? Lol.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
I myself use only hdmi even tho I have analog out on my player as well.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I use the analog outputs of my bluray player when playing CDs because I want to keep the chain analog thru my AVR so that I don't engage the AVR's room correction facility. I want to hear my speakers as they are. I use no bass management dithet running the fronts full range. Thats my preference. Everyone of us has their own preferences. You're just finding yours. :)

Don't get hung up on cables sounding differently. That is nothing but an audiophile myth designed to drain your pockets of hard earned cash. Nothing more.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I use the analog outputs of my bluray player when playing CDs because I want to keep the chain analog thru my AVR so that I don't engage the AVR's room correction facility. I want to hear my speakers as they are. I use no bass management dithet running the fronts full range. Thats my preference. Everyone of us has their own preferences. You're just finding yours. :)

Don't get hung up on cables sounding differently. That is nothing but an audiophile myth designed to drain your pockets of hard earned cash. Nothing more.
You can't turn off YPAO without returning it to default settings (might be a PITA)? What about the differences in the ADC? Some receivers have a pretty good one.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
The decision relates to where you want the conversion to take place. The HDMI connection will send the data to the receiver for analog conversion. The analog connection will do the conversion in the player and send the analog signal to the receiver. If you believe that DACs have different sounds then you can test as Adam suggests. If you don't, then it won't matter at all.

F

felipe

Audioholic
The decision relates to where you want the conversion to take place. The HDMI connection will send the data to the receiver for analog conversion. The analog connection will do the conversion in the player and send the analog signal to the receiver. If you believe that DACs have different sounds then you can test as Adam suggests. If you don't, then it won't matter at all.
In all honesty, I didn't believe that DACs have different sounds..until I tried the HDMI connection.
Thru the HDMI, the sound was noticably more balanced. The low end was more focused and defined..better fidelity. Mids and highs were better balanced amongst each other..also better fidelity. All this was with the AVR in "pure direct" mode. When I switched back to 2ch mode, there was only a slight difference in the sound..no significance IMO.
All in all, the HDMI connection was better sounding to me. I don't think this proves the "DACs have different sounds" notion, but it can show HOW the DACs were implemented in the design of the device ;). Sony, to me, seemed to use them well in this particular case.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
You can't turn off YPAO without returning it to default settings (might be a PITA)? What about the differences in the ADC? Some receivers have a pretty good one.
Before I answer, what is ADC?

J

JRT3

Junior Audioholic
Guessing on ADC = Analog to Digital Conversion?

I tried recycling two older DVD players as CDP - after my Philips CD-960 finally expired. They both would run open loop on rotational speed - perhaps trying to read the DVD. The poor CD would jump the arbor and scratch itself. My once great Yamaha DVD player, and my no-name $29 at a grocery store DVD player were discarded. I ordered an Onkyo C-7030 CDP and love it - it sounds better than a repurposed DVD or even my early Sony BRD player (analog outputs). Ultimately, I got a second C-7030 for my upstairs hobby room. My office stereo is now comprised of a C-7030 driving an Emotiva Mini-X A-100 connected To a pair of Klipsch RB-81ii's - and I love it. My hobby room has my original Sony BRD player as well as my second C-7030 as selectable inputs to my Onkyo TX-8020, so I can play CD's on both (I have a 24" LED JVC monitor fed by HDMI so I can watch movies - or select CD's easily.). The best way I can describe the BRD and DVD players playing CD's is that they sound 'hollow', when they sound full bodied from the Onkyo CDP, which reportedly uses excellent quality Wolfson DAC's. The stereo Onkyo receiver is used on Direct mode, ie, bypassing the tone controls, and drives a pair of Klipsch R15M's, with my HT's reject Polk PSW-505 subwoofer 'on call', if needed. It may have helped watching the BRD 'Director's Cut' version of "Das Boot" last week, but I generally leave it off.

Consider getting a decent dedicated CDP - they really do sound better!

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
It is a pita to turn off YPAO on and off again.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis