Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
where can i find a relatively inexpensive device that will allow me to transmit 5.1 audio digitally over a usb connection to toslink or coax?

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Have you looked on Newegg for USB sound cards?

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
yes, thats not what i want, i want to be able to plug something into a laptop and get digital audio from it.

pzaur

pzaur

Audioholic Samurai
How about this?
I found that on another forum from 2 years ago.

-pat

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
i dont think that will do 5.1 though.

pzaur

pzaur

Audioholic Samurai
I don't see why it wouldn't. It the signal can be routed through the toslink, then it should be able to handle 5.1 unless there is a software limitation.

Here's the Behringer site.

-pat

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
So this isn't what you're looking for? Or this? Or this? Maybe I'm just confused about what you're trying to accomplish.

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
yes, thats not what i want,
Thats exactly what you want....

A "sound card" is basically just an adapter. You'll have to use something to convert from USB to another digital format... Don't make this more difficult than it needs to be...

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
i know what a sound card is, i just want a usb one that can go digitally so i can use bass management on my receiver, which i cannot do with the 7.1 in and i'm not going to count on a cheapo usb card to do that right if at all.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
i know what a sound card is, i just want a usb one that can go digitally so i can use bass management on my receiver, which i cannot do with the 7.1 in and i'm not going to count on a cheapo usb card to do that right if at all.
You may be overthinking what these things will do.

The audio is on the disc, or file you are playing back. It is sent natively, without conversion, from the digital audio output of a sound card to the receiver to handle. There is nothing the sound card does other than provide the proper interface for your audio playback device.

USB is a digital transport stream for data and a direct USB to digital audio converter is not a real product. Basically it must speak in a language the computer understands to transfer the audio data out of the computer, then into a system that runs the coversion from USB protocol standards to Toslink or S/PDIF standards.

Now, if you want to get the audio stream out of your computer another way, you could get an Ethernet audio adapter, which does the exact same thing that a USB one would do.

These adapters don't TOUCH the data itself, but allow the PC, which is not an audio device natively, but is a data device, to get the audio off your hard drive (or playback disc) and into another format which it can play friendly with (Toslink).

Do you think a SoundBlaster card installed inside a desktop PC does this any differently? Because it does not. Do you think spending a lot more for something which does the same thing will somehow affect the zeroes and ones? Because it won't.

You don't go USB to Toslink - it's like plugging the keys from my Honda into your car - it just doesn't work. It's not built to work that way. You gotta have the right keys match up for things to work.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
i also know this.
I was confused because it looks like the ones Sholling linked to above are exactly what you are after. They deliver S/PDIF optical audio output to your receiver, or should...

Don't they?

Then you can just use your receiver as you normally would for a digital audio input.

Sure, some of them also have analog audio outputs, but you said that's not what you want - but they all have the digital output.

Obviously, the drivers for those pieces lack any serious information about the passing of surround audio, so it's hard to be sure what the quality of them truly is, but they are, at the very least, advertising 5.1/7.1 support.

I do realize what a pain in the rear it is to just get good information from these websites as I've been going through plenty of the same trying to get information on media servers.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
yes that is what i wanted, i know i can trust the creative card, i dont have any idea about the other brands though.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
yes that is what i wanted, i know i can trust the creative card, i dont have any idea about the other brands though.
See, I was all confused because you had said this after his post...

And I was like... WTF?? Isn't that exactly what he wanted? He's an idiot.

Nope, turns out you aren't an idiot.

Always a good thing. :D ;) :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis