USB HD size limit with PS3?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I thought about just replacing the internal drive, but I can use the USB drive for other things too. Once they start doing larger downloadable content, I probably will, but the 320G USB is cheaper for the size vs a SATA notebook drive. I have 150G in my laptop :)

Pwner_2130

Pwner_2130

Audioholic
It's built right into the PS3 Save Data utility. Use an external drive with the save data utility. Then pop in a new HD. The PS3 will format it to the Sony format. Copy the data back.

HD replace instructions

Like John says, it may fill up pretty quick, but you'd only NEED to use the internal drive when the individual files are greater than 4GB and FAT32 couldn't handle them. That's assuming of course that the Sony format could, but i think it's a valid assumption if they put files of that size on the PS Store ;)
Also the Backup PS3 Data option on the System Settings in the XMB works great if you want to keep all your Movies and Songs (as well as Game Saves) on your new PS3 internal HDD, I have made two backups to my 250 GB HDD and when you restore, the PS3 does a great job of restoring the data! It even remembered my predictive texts

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Well, for the neatness factor as well as the capability to handle large files (HD files) then I would probably want to get an internal drive.:)

Thanks for your advise and help avaserfi and abboudc, and for the link.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I am thinking about doing an internal now too...

I do have some minor issues. The drive comes on and shuts off with the PS3, but after a while, the drive "wakes up" with the PS3 off. Not sure what is up with that. A SATA 120G 2.5" drive is $89, same as I just paid for this 320...and 160 is $150. It will do for now, so I guess I will just keep my eyes open for a good deal on drives.

*edit - I found SATA 80G for $53, 120G for $85 and 160G for $109 locally.

Last edited:
zildjian

zildjian

Audioholic Chief
The Western Digital 500gb external USB 2.0 drive I got last month works great, and BB has it for $119 this week. It was the most storage per $, and the WD drives are made well.

I don't trust cheap or just poorly made drives. Had too many harddrives (IBM in 4 cases) crash due to manufacturing defects over the years; IBM replaced those drives with the same models, which also crashed a few months later just like the first ones, but just out of warranty... haven't let that one go yet...

External ethernet drives are what I'm looking at next. Would that work with a PS3? I'm not a gamer, but the idea of having a huge HD accessible to all 3 computers on my home network sounds cool to me.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I can get one of those el cheapo 500G USB drives for $99, but I am not interested in those either for the same reason. I have had good luck with IBM drives, must have something to do with the fact that my Mom has worked there for 20+ years and my s/o also works there now.

I don't know if the PS3 is compatible with ethernet drives, since you can't really "browse" your network unless you have another OS installed.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis