Upgrading Subwoofers

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Just out of curiosity, they're out of my price range for 2, but how would the PB13 Utra measure up against the VTF MK5?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Try data-bass.com.
Look under systems. They're all lined up. Iirc, the ultras were better in the lower stuff starting around 16hz, but the gap closed after that.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Congrats. Hopefully they will scratch your itch before your wife starts checking the insurance policy! :)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Just out of curiosity, they're out of my price range for 2, but how would the PB13 Utra measure up against the VTF MK5?
Here are some measurements from Hsu, scaled for 2 meter RMS results, and here are the measurements for the PB13-Ultra. As William said, the PB13 has a significant output advantage at 16 and 20 Hz, but the performance gap closes rapidly above that. Two VTF-3s will match the very low end of the PB13 and substantially outperform it above 20 Hz.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Try data-bass.com.
Look under systems. They're all lined up. Iirc, the ultras were better in the lower stuff starting around 16hz, but the gap closed after that.
Thanks. I see they only had the VTF-15H, but I'm assuming they're close enough to the same for it to be valid. Man, the Ultras are pretty amazing for the size driver they're using. Too much for my blood though. I'll bet the PB16 Ultra is downright scary.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Thanks. I see they only had the VTF-15H, but I'm assuming they're close enough to the same for it to be valid. Man, the Ultras are pretty amazing for the size driver they're using. Too much for my blood though. I'll bet the PB16 Ultra is downright scary.
Actually the VTF15h mk2 and VTF-3 mk5 are very significant performance upgrades form the first VTF15h.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Here are some measurements from Hsu, scaled for 2 meter RMS results, and here are the measurements for the PB13-Ultra. As William said, the PB13 has a significant output advantage at 16 and 20 Hz, but the performance gap closes rapidly above that. Two VTF-3s will match the very low end of the PB13 and substantially outperform it above 20 Hz.
Thanks Shady. Above 20 Hz is where I'd rather have it for music anyway, so that's awesome.

Actually the VTF15h mk2 and VTF-3 mk5 are very significant performance upgrades form the first VTF15h.
I see. Now that I remember, you did tell me that a page or 2 ago.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Expecting delivery tomorrow, so I busted out the tape measure just to get an idea... These things are huge! I'm now starting to worry about my neighbors. It would suck pretty hard if I could never really turn them up. I'm in a neighborhood and the houses are a little closer together than I'd like.

I had no issues whatsoever with the SB1000's, but these are on a whole new level. They're almost too big for the spots I have in mind (I did say almost) . Basically right where my current ones are. Depth and height are the biggest differences. Width is fine, though I'm glad they're not any wider. They'll work where I want them. I just hope I don't get booted from the neighborhood. lol. I've lived here almost 20 years.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm reading up on them right now. Learning (kind of) about the adjustment with the Q settings and how you can tune with plugs. The lower frequencies are what's most worrying. Those travel some distance. Looks like I can tame them a little if it's necessary though.

I'm already seeing the advantages with these. They're very flexible, but I'm gonna have to spend some time with them until I get them dialed in.

*Edit: I fully acknowledge that if I piss my neighbors off it is absolutely my own fault. :p

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Screenshot_2017-02-23-07-06-02-1.png

They're out for delivery from Chandler as of 4:40 this morning! Chandler is right next door. I'm hoping they get here this morning. I'm off today.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Nice! Wish I was in chandler(some friends used to live there). It's about 25degrees right now. Ugh.
It's a great day for you though!!!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I've lived in Mesa for over 20 years now. The weather is awesome right now, but the heat is coming, and it sucks.

Just got off the phone with Fedex. Fortunately I'm off today so I can be here to sign, but I have a couple little things I need to do so I wanted an approximate time. Between 9:45 this morning and 12:45. I'm gonna go nuts for the next couple hours. lol

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Lol. Won't be long. The wait will be a distant memory.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hate to be that fedex guy who decides today wasn't the day to unload those giant boxes and decides to leave a "I rang the bell but no one answered" note....:p

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks for that HD. :p

They're not here yet! The time they gave me was an approximation. Who knows for sure when they'll get here. I'm forcing myself to not keep getting up to look through the peephole...

*Twitch*

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah!!! Don't forget to keep snapping pics!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis