Upgrading Subwoofers

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Did you save room for a minidsp?
Uhh... no? Is that really necessary? Are they expensive? I'm already having buyer's guilt man. If it's something I can pick up later I'm okay with that. I was just planning to set everything up and use Audyssey. I have never even looked at a minidsp, much less know where to even start with incorporating one and using it.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Well I guess the answer, like to every A/V question is, it depends lol.
I noticed shady mentioned the mangled up response. This is typical of any sub(s) in any room. That's why some of us use minidsp or bfd or antimode, etc. And yes, you can pick one up later for sure. I just know you've been sweating this, and was wondering if you considered that option, to maximize the whole thing.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Well I guess the answer, like to every A/V question is, it depends lol.
I noticed shady mentioned the mangled up response. This is typical of any sub(s) in any room. That's why some of us use minidsp or bfd or antimode, etc. And yes, you can pick one up later for sure. I just know you've been sweating this, and was wondering if you considered that option, to maximize the whole thing.
I definitely see the wisdom of using a dsp and I will definitely eventually get one. My wife has pretty much had it with me buying speakers. I need to make this one right. I had to buy new carpet to make this happen!

Hey, and thanks for your help with this. You too Shady, HD and everyone else. I'm tickled pink right now and stressing out at the same time. lol. This is huge for me.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
My knowledge of room modes definitely needs some work, but I'm thinking if I got my SB1000'S to sound pretty good where they are, the VTF-3's are gonna blow them away. Right now I'm envisioning myself doing a sub crawl with one of those monsters in my chair.

Still looking at that payment page...

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Audyssey will do for now, but sometime down the road you ought to get a measurement microphone to see what the response is. If you are going to throw down that much money on subs, might as well try to get the most out of them. A pair of VTF-3s with optimal placement and good calibration will completely own you.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I definitely see the wisdom of using a dsp and I will definitely eventually get one. My wife has pretty much had it with me buying speakers. I need to make this one right. I had to buy new carpet to make this happen!

Hey, and thanks for your help with this. You too Shady, HD and everyone else. I'm tickled pink right now and stressing out at the same time. lol. This is huge for me.
Lmao!!! I know about the waf being maxed out. I've gone from 5.1 to 7.3, and she reminds me all the time. I just remind her that I live here too. Lol

Hey, I appreciate the sentiment. I've followed audioholics for years but just recently joined in and still finding my place, so a lot of times I hang back. Congrats, on going for it. It's a big thing, and you will be rewarded.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Audyssey will do for now, but sometime down the road you ought to get a measurement microphone to see what the response is. If you are going to throw down that much money on subs, might as well try to get the most out of them. A pair of VTF-3s with optimal placement and good calibration will completely own you.
I have a mic bookmarked. I've known for a while that I'm going to end up getting one. I'm too anal not to. I completely agree that if I'm plopping down that kind of dough it would be a good idea to get the right equipment for a proper setup.

My head's still spinning a little. I didn't think my wife was gonna give in so easy and wasn't prepared to order it today.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I have a mic bookmarked. I've known for a while that I'm going to end up getting one. I'm too anal not to. I completely agree that if I'm plopping down that kind of dough it would be a good idea to get the right equipment for a proper setup.

My head's still spinning a little. I didn't think my wife was gonna give in so easy and wasn't prepared to order it today.
Better hit it before she changes her mind!!! Lol

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Lmao!!! I know about the waf being maxed out. I've gone from 5.1 to 7.3, and she reminds me all the time. I just remind her that I live here too. Lol

Hey, I appreciate the sentiment. I've followed audioholics for years but just recently joined in and still finding my place, so a lot of times I hang back. Congrats, on going for it. It's a big thing, and you will be rewarded.
That's how it works in my house. If I want something big like this, she gets something too. She got a new laptop when I bought the Ultras. When I make these big purchases for myself, it's generally gonna cost me almost twice. sigh. What's fair is fair I suppose and new carpet will be nice.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
That's how it works in my house. If I want something big like this, she gets something too. She got a new laptop when I bought the Ultras. When I make these big purchases for myself, it's generally gonna cost me almost twice. sigh. What's fair is fair I suppose and new carpet will be nice.
Yes indeed. As long as there's enough to go around. Go for it.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Pulling the trigger Monday. We'll have the funds available then. I'll be making update posts and dancing in the street. I'm pretty stoked now.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Pulling the trigger Monday. We'll have the funds available then. I'll be making update posts and dancing in the street. I'm pretty stoked now.
Awesome. Looking forward to your impressions.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm ordering in a few minutes. I almost just did, but I decided to contact SVS and see if they could do something similar for similar cost. He suggested a pair of SB2000's. 1499 out the door and of course, free shipping. Now I know that the VTF-MK5 is the bigger dog in this fight with a 15" driver and a 600w amp. The 2000's have a 500w amp (the rep pointed out) and he assured me that they can keep up with the MK5's. Of course I'm very dubious, especially considering he has a vested interest in me purchasing from SVS.

It would save me a couple hundred bucks though and I'm tempted, but wanted to get some feedback from you guys @lovinthehd, @shadyJ and @William Lemmerhirt. I told him my room dimensions and he assured me again, no problem. This is what he said exactly:

Dennis: Absolutely!, especially since you're going dual. Going dual will give you optimal sound quality from more listening positions, increases dynamic headroom and will make the bass harder to localize.

So... a pair of PB2000's for 1499 total, or a pair of VTF-5's for 1750, shipped?

*Edit: I'm pretty sure I can get 700 for my current subs to help pay for this. They're both still warrantied and are in like new condition. the extra 250 makes a pretty big difference considering that.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Well look who I found on AVS!

We are talking about quite a bit more than 3 dB of headroom averaged. Here are some CEA measurements for the PB2000. They are taken by a different tester so they shouldn't be considered directly comparable to Hsu's measurements, but I think they give you a rough guide about how these subs will differ with respect to total output. The Hsu sub would handle a large space much better than the PB2000.

Pretty sure I'll get the same reply here. Thanks Shady, even if it was another thread. :p

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Screenshot_2017-02-21-08-04-00-1.png

I'm all freaked out now. lol. I've never spent this much in one shot for speakers before. That was hard, but I'm not currently satisfied.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Just did our taxes... what buyer's remorse? lol. I'm still waiting on the shipping info with baited breath. I have to make arrangements for someone to be here to sign. It would suck if they showed up and no one was here.

I'm really looking forward to hearing these bad boys. I'll be making a thread on how to use REW and a minidsp when I get one, which I will be doing probably sooner than later. I do want to get them dialed in and maximized to their full potential. This is a very big investment for me and my wife is getting close to the end of her rope. I'm hoping these will be the last subs I buy.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Pogre. Just wanted to say congratulations. It's a crazy investment, and I know you won't be disappointed. I'm saving for a pair of fv15hp's so I understand where you're coming from. In the meantime, try home theater shack. You will find lots of REW threads and help. John, who wrote the software checks in regularity and is a wealth of knowledge. Again, congrats!!!

R

ryouiki

Audioholic Intern
HSU shipped my order lightning fast... ordered before close of business last Thursday, tracking number Friday, arriving today or tomorrow.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
HSU shipped my order lightning fast... ordered before close of business last Thursday, tracking number Friday, arriving today or tomorrow.
That is pretty fast, considering the holiday weekend. I'm all pins and needles now.

Anyone looking for a pair of SB1000's...? :p

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis