Upgrading Subwoofers

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
It's really hard to see those patches unless the sun is streaming in on the one or if you're up pretty close. The logos are a nice touch. I'm loving the way it looks.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
It's really hard to see those patches unless the sun is streaming in on the one or if you're up pretty close. The logos are a nice touch. I'm loving the way it looks.
Me too.
Wife n kid?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Me too.
Wife n kid?
Wife and an 18 year old son, who decided to make me a grandfather... *grumble* but he's really manning up. He's working and maintaining As and Bs in school. He's also very attentive to his son and girlfriend. Despite the fact that made a bad decision, I'm proud of him for the way he's handling it. You can't help but fall in love with the baby.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I love how it looks and the amount of space you have to play with. Looks great.
I can remember thinking when I was looking at subs (and even bookshelf speakers) that I wish I had a smaller space. I know my Ultras would sound even better in a smaller room, even without a sub. Plus a pair of VTF-3 MK5's was a huge purchase. Woulda been nice to buy some smaller subs. Both for aesthetic reasons and my poor fun account. lol

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
A smaller space might not be more beneficial to your sound. Low frequency room modes can become more severe, and acoustic reflections from the speakers can also become more prominent. You have a nice system, so no need to wish for anything more (except perhaps a matching center speaker). The only thing you have to do now is enjoy the music!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
A smaller space might not be more beneficial to your sound. Low frequency room modes can become more severe, and acoustic reflections from the speakers can also become more prominent. You have a nice system, so no need to wish for anything more (except perhaps a matching center speaker). The only thing you have to do now is enjoy the music!
And I do! You know, you guys all helped me put it together and you were very helpful. Thank you.

The center channel drives me batty, but I'm gonna have to wait a while before I go spending in multiples of hundreds of dollars again ($699 for the matching center). My wife will throw a fit. I'm still biding time to get the mini and mic.

I've thought about getting the Prime center channel, but then I'd always be wishing I'd gotten the matching Ultra. I'm just gonna wait until the time is right and get it. Might be a while, but like you said, I have a nice system now. I'm enjoying the hell out of it until I can get the rest.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
And I do! You know, you guys all helped me put it together and you were very helpful. Thank you.

The center channel drives me batty, but I'm gonna have to wait a while before I go spending in multiples of hundreds of dollars again ($699 for the matching center). My wife will throw a fit. I'm still biding time to get the mini and mic.

I've thought about getting the Prime center channel, but then I'd always be wishing I'd gotten the matching Ultra. I'm just gonna wait until the time is right and get it. Might be a while, but like you said, I have a nice system now. I'm enjoying the hell out of it until I can get the rest.
I remember ed saying the primes were voiced so they could be mix n matched with ultras. But I'd wonder too if I didn't get the ultra center... I would also never want a smaller room. Even though filling a larger space can be more difficult to fill and pressurize , imo speakers can image better and the overall presentation is just bigger and more realistic. (I think shady said some of the same thing). You do have a nice system to be sure. Since I'm a lone soldier like you, with the family etc, I can totally appreciate how much you're loving it.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I remember ed saying the primes were voiced so they could be mix n matched with ultras. But I'd wonder too if I didn't get the ultra center... I would also never want a smaller room. Even though filling a larger space can be more difficult to fill and pressurize , imo speakers can image better and the overall presentation is just bigger and more realistic. (I think shady said some of the same thing). You do have a nice system to be sure. Since I'm a lone soldier like you, with the family etc, I can totally appreciate how much you're loving it.
Yeah, that was a thought I was having a while back when you guys were still convincing me that a pair of 15's wouldn't be too much. I'm very appreciative I have what I have. I wouldn't want it any different than the way I have it now.

I also misunderstood your question earlier. Yes, the wife and kid agree it looks better now. They couldn't get past how it looked with the feet still on and the logos sideways. I swear, no imagination.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah, that was a thought I was having a while back when you guys were still convincing me that a pair of 15's wouldn't be too much. I'm very appreciative I have what I have. I wouldn't want it any different than the way I have it now.

I also misunderstood your question earlier. Yes, the wife and kid agree it looks better now. They couldn't get past how it looked with the feet still on and the logos sideways. I swear, no imagination.
Haha! No imagination, I hear that. Just like home.
We are redoing our LR at the moment, and I am humoring my wife. I moved my cylinders to the front corners, and the polkie to the rear corner. I'm a little, ummm, not sure what I think. I discovered a new f3 of 14.5hz, and when I sit in the sweet spot it sounds great but when I walk into the kitchen the bass is just crazy. I know the kitchen bass is not right, but after going back to my LP after being in there it's like hey, where's the beef? I set them at 80db so there a little hot, but not crazy, and it's been killing me. I'll get it worked out. Nice work you did.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis