Upgrading Subwoofers

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
The VTF-3's were bigger than I expected, but they still work with my rig.

I was picturing a wide open loft. More like a platform. I'm with Shady and William in thinking 2 will do the trick up there. That's a very nice looking room you have there.
Thanks...we bought the house for the open floor plan and most of the bedrooms being on the main so initially I was not happy about being bumped upstairs. But I kind of like it now.

No, definitely not what one might imagine...this loft space has all kinds of bump outs and it's not symmetrical, but I like the attic space above. Pretty easy to get at least 2 ceiling speakers in for a 5.2.2 surround set up. I'm thinking the pull down attic stairs will make it hard to have 4 atmos, but from where I'm coming from with surround sound...this 5.2.2 will be like another world.

2channel lover

Okay fellas.

I uploaded a view pics.

The mock obviously is the most important for this thread.

The front elevation is just to show where the loft is (note triple windows)...the final pic has nothing to do with the thread. I know you guys don't care, but I'm a grass nut as well and embarrassed by the grass in the front elevation pic so this just shows that it got better.

On the mock.

The only areas that are in stone is the TV wall and the main seating. I've already pulled the recliners out 2' from the back wall...I can go maybe another 6" or so. The TV wall has a 20 amp dedicated circuit so ideally I'd like to keep the amps (there will be 5 total) plugged in there, but I have given thought to moving the components to the side wall where the chair and ottoman are now.

Any way...open to suggestions.

And as always thanks for your input.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Where the subs look best and where they will sound best might be different locations. I would say when you get the subs, try different locations, test the response at your listening position, and try to keep the subs in the spot that gives you the best response, so long as it isn't an obtrusive placement otherwise.

2channel lover

Where the subs look best and where they will sound best might be different locations. I would say when you get the subs, try different locations, test the response at your listening position, and try to keep the subs in the spot that gives you the best response, so long as it isn't an obtrusive placement otherwise.
Yep, good point.

There was a sub along the TV wall...sounded okay I guess, but I can't be certain that was the best spot for it...I'll start there run the room EQ and move them around the best I can...one good thing is I can drop wire down the wall on both sides of the recliners and give me a little more flexibility.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yep, good point.

There was a sub along the TV wall...sounded okay I guess, but I can't be certain that was the best spot for it...I'll start there run the room EQ and move them around the best I can...one good thing is I can drop wire down the wall on both sides of the recliners and give me a little more flexibility.

Tried and tested, this time honored ceremonial crawl has been used with great success by many, including myself.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
20170411_131809-816x459.jpg

20170411_132130-816x459.jpg

20170411_132211-816x459.jpg

I took the feet off, messed with positioning, got everything cleaned up and symmetrical, AND improved my bass response! I have the ports on the outside for both. The subs are symmetrical now, but the ports arent, and I think that's helping. It sounds awesome and Audyssey trimmed them back another couple db's. I really like it.

The last one is how I'll have them most of the time. I think the Ultras are sexy with the grilles off.

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
If you want a cleaner look, the Hsu logo can come off without too much trouble. Or you can remove them and place them horizontally in the lower part of the grille.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks guys! Shady, the logo is driving me crazy. They look glued on. I didn't want to pull on them for fear of stretching or tearing the fabric. Are they pretty easy to pop off?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks guys! Shady, the logo is driving me crazy. They look glued on. I didn't want to pull on them for fear of stretching or tearing the fabric. Are they pretty easy to pop off?
Maybe try some heat to soften the glue? Might still leave some glue on the fabric, have had that happen when removing logos (but I didn't think of using heat at the time :) ).

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I pried at one. It's definitely gonna leave some glue. An unacceptable chunk too. How about a solvent? Or is that likely to mess up the fabric? I'll try my wife's hair dryer.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Email dr HSU. Maybe they have some lying around. Might hook you up since you're such a good customer.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I pried at one. It's definitely gonna leave some glue. An unacceptable chunk too. How about a solvent? Or is that likely to mess up the fabric? I'll try my wife's hair dryer.
Might need to know more about the glue for the right solvent to not damage the fabric....think Hsu is a good place to start on that as suggested....

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The hair dryer worked very well for getting them off (thanks @lovinthehd for the suggestion), but there is glue residue on the grills where they were. From where I sit it doesn't look too bad, but it's there. I'd like to try a solvent. I'm gonna test with a drop of something on the back of one of the grilles and see what happens. Any suggestions for a solvent that won't bleach or melt the grille cloth?

*Edit: I'll get ahold of Hsu. It's still early enough. I'll report back with what I learn.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Email dr HSU. Maybe they have some lying around. Might hook you up since you're such a good customer.
Might need to know more about the glue for the right solvent to not damage the fabric....think Hsu is a good place to start on that as suggested....
Just got off the phone with their technical support. He took my number and said he would have Dr Hsu or another technician call me back. Sweet.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Be careful what cleaner you use to get the glue off with. Some cleaners might discolor the fabric. You might look into some kind of fabric cleaner that will not hurt the coloration, there has to be a lot of products out there like that.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Be careful what cleaner you use to get the glue off with. Some cleaners might discolor the fabric. You might look into some kind of fabric cleaner that will not hurt the coloration, there has to be a lot of products out there like that.
That's what I want to be careful of. That's why I called Hsu. If I know what kind of glue it is, at least I'll have somewhere to start. Maybe they'll do something cool like swap them out for a set with the labels separate? One can hope...

2channel lover

View attachment 20551

View attachment 20552

View attachment 20553

I took the feet off, messed with positioning, got everything cleaned up and symmetrical, AND improved my bass response! I have the ports on the outside for both. The subs are symmetrical now, but the ports arent, and I think that's helping. It sounds awesome and Audyssey trimmed them back another couple db's. I really like it.

The last one is how I'll have them most of the time. I think the Ultras are sexy with the grilles off.
Very cool...I'm chomping at the bit...HSU is running a spring promo, had me wanting to whipping out the plastic, but it's not really enough to make me take the plunge. I'm gonna wait, almost there.

Your set up looks really clean...I need to work on that...so this alignment you have is also getting the best bass response too!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis