Upgrading Subwoofers

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Pogre, Feb 2, 2017.

1. shadyJ Audioholic Ninja

shadyJ
    Very nice speakers, very nice subs. Placement, toe-in, stand-off distances, everything looks good.

You going to get a matching center for the SVS speakers?

By the way, symmetrical subs with respect to the listening position is bound to exacerbate problems at the listening position. Asymmetrical placement is more likely to yield a smoother response.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Pogre Senior Audioholic

Pogre
    Thanks Shady. It's nice to have some confirmation that I've set things up properly.

Yes, a matching center is on the list. It's a little pricey though and my wife is still reeling from the shock of the sub purchase(s), though they're officially paid for now. A Umik mic, miniDSP HD and wireless transmitter/receiver for one of my subs is next on my list. I can live with the current center for now, I don't watch as much tv as I used to. Music has always been first for me anyway.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Bucknekked Senior Audioholic

Bucknekked
    Pogre
    Interesting observation on your listening levels. I have been noticing the same trend in my own listening habits since I established my own music room and set up a dedicated system just for music (and the occasional movie). Since doing that, I know that I consistently listen at lower levels than I used to. I also enjoy my listening more and am constantly listening for, and finding, rich content in my tunes.

I don't know the why of it, I am just noticing the phenomenon myself. Great minds think alike I guess.
    :D
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Pogre Senior Audioholic

Pogre
    For me I think it's a matter of having things set up as optimally as I can and getting those monster subs. I was turning it up more often to compensate for the smaller subs and/or placement issues. I like to feel a little bass even at lower volumes. I get that now without having to turn it up as much.

I'm also even beginning to see that 18" subs wouldn't be "too big" for my room. I'm genuinely very happy with what I have though. If I do anything more with subs it would be to add 2 more behind me. That won't be in the budget for a long time though...
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Bucknekked Senior Audioholic

Bucknekked
    Pogre
    Apparently, you can't have too much horsepower, caliber, or subwoofer. I might add (after this last weeks series of posts) wattage in your amplifier or proof in your schnapps.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Pogre Senior Audioholic

Pogre
    Well I bought a Rocketfish wireless transmitter (open box, $40) and got some really weird results. I couldn't seem to get the 2 level matched without turning 1 way up and the other way down.

I wrestled with those subs for 5 hours trying to find the best spots. Turns out, right up front is the best spot for both, though there appears to be a 12db null on the right one between about 60-40 hz. From 40 to 35 hz it jumps back up 12 db. I need to get proper measuring equipment to be sure though. I used an spl app on my tablet and played 100 to 5 hz test tones in 5 db increments. There was a 10 or 12 db dip in the above frequencies on the right side. With both together the discrepancy isn't nearly as big. Like I said, I need the proper tools for this job. I'm just posting some observations from my crude experimenting.

One thing about the transmitter. I have no clue how or why, but when I unplugged the transmitter from my avr the other sub suddenly got a lot louder. I think there was something seriously wrong with it so I took it back. They're level matched now (except for the 12db dip starting at 60hz through 40hz on the right).