Upgrading Screen and Soon Projector

B

blcskate

Junior Audioholic
So I am in the market to get a new screen here in the next month or two. I have been around the projector block for a while, but I am considering doing something less conventional. I just finished building my new room out and I am toying with 4K as well. I decided to switch up the conventional sconce lights for full room LED lighting that is controlled. While looking at my room lighting I ran into the screen innovations pure zero edge:

Pure Zero Edgeâ„¢ | Projector Screens | Screen Innovations

I personally like the look of the screen and the non-wasted space on the sides, but this immediately brought out a concern of mine. The whole point of a edge on the screen is to include some sort of black absorbing material so that any light from the projector that is not perfectly within the screen is absorbed. The same concept is applied for masking as well. The idea of non-border leaves me worried about a this. I am also skeptical about the idea that LED backlighting reduces eye-strain without detracting from the image. If any of you have seen this can you attest to it?

My original plan was to buy a 135" Elite Lunatte Curved 1.3. I may still go that route, but I wanted some opinions on the two. I am not as concerned with price as I am performance and esthetics.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
The gimmicks associated with screens are astounding. The use of a curved screen without a proper lens designed for curved screens, the use of micro bezels when the bezels are there for a reason, the use of bias lighting, which ends up diminishing contrast and distracts from the on-screen image.

There is very little about these things that make sense for the proper home theater installation.

Best results are obtained with a dark room. Dark ceilings, dark walls, dark carpet. Treat the room properly, then a great white screen will give the best results.

The best additions, IMO, are masking systems, or if budget and room size allows, a good 2.35 setup with an anamorphic lens. Even going curved screen at that point can make a ton of sense.

B

blcskate

Junior Audioholic
I won't lie. I like the curved screen purely for the looks. As long as is does not noticeably detract from the image I would go that route. I am glad to see others agree with me on the thin bezel thing. It made no sense to me from the get go. I have very dark blue walls, ceiling, and carpet. I am still leaning towards the Elite Lunatte screen. May buy one next week after I can get home and measure everything. I had a 120" elite before and never was disappointed. I would love a masking 2.35, but spending 5-8k on a screen and putting 3k projector on it doesn't make much sense. Perhaps if I was definitely going to buy the Sony 4k I could make that idea work. I was really hoping for a good 4k projector to land in the 5-6k area this year, but no luck. Looks like I am still two years out on that.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis