Upgrading my speakers

L

Luiz Vacanti

Audioholic Intern
Hey guys,

I live in the US and my budget is $350.00.
My bedroom/office is 10x10 ft. And I will be at 6 feet away from the speakers.
I wil be using for HT and music.
Right now I have a Canton Movie 65 CX and a Onkyo TX-SR506.
I Like to buy two front bookshelf speakers and maybe a third one same brand for the center channel.

I have been doing my research and I like to choose between these speakers:
Elac B5 or B6
Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 or 10.2
Philharmonic Audio Accuracy Monitors
RBH R5Bi - My concern with this one it is the frequency response is 60hz the others are around 48.

Please which one will be a better buy? Later I will be replacing the subwoofer.

Thanks

Luiz V

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Philharmonic Audio is the best of the that bunch with the exception of Wharfedale because I haven't demo'd it. But safe to assume!

Don't waste anymore time, just contact Dennis and get him started building them for you!

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Hey guys,

I live in the US and my budget is $350.00.
My bedroom/office is 10x10 ft. And I will be at 6 feet away from the speakers.
I wil be using for HT and music.
Right now I have a Canton Movie 65 CX and a Onkyo TX-SR506.
I Like to buy two front bookshelf speakers and maybe a third one same brand for the center channel.

I have been doing my research and I like to choose between these speakers:
Elac B5 or B6
Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 or 10.2
Philharmonic Audio Accuracy Monitors
RBH R5Bi - My concern with this one it is the frequency response is 60hz the others are around 48.

Please which one will be a better buy? Later I will be replacing the subwoofer.

Thanks

Luiz V
I have the R5bi. I'm using them for surrounds but had them playing as 2.0 mains for 35-40 hours. I like this little speaker a lot, mids and highs sound like a much larger speaker, but if I were going to have them as permanent mains you do need a sub. Which imo would apply to all of your choices for true full range listening.

Given that you're eventually replace the sub...I can vouch personally for the R5Bi. I just ordered a pair of Salk Sound speakers, and Dennis Murphy (owner of Philharmonic) does the crossover work for most of Salk's speaker designs in addition to his own speaker line. His work comes highly regarded...you can't go wrong with his speakers from all I've read.

Gryph

Gryph

Audioholic
I haven't heard any of the others and the Wharfedale 10.2's are the first new speakers I've bought in ages so take it for what it's worth, but I am completely satisfied with the purchase and listening experience.
I even had a skeptical friend sit and listen to the 10.2's after commenting on big speaker sound vs bookshelf sound and she went away quite impressed with the wharfedales.
Unfortunately I'm now so intrigued by these $299 speakers that I'm thinking I'll eventually need an upgrade to something like the SVS Ultra BS or Philharmonic BMRs and then I can call it a life.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

L

Luiz Vacanti

Audioholic Intern
Thank you very much for all your help. I decide to go with the Philharmonic Audio.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Thank you very much for all your help. I decide to go with the Philharmonic Audio.
Depending on how much room-gain you get and what type of music you listen to, you might find that for music, you are better off without the sub!

The 6.5" woofer in the AA's is more impressive than you are likely to expect and I fear the 6" Canton sub has been tuned to try to get as much deep bass output as possible without concern for accuracy. That is not a bad approach for HT explosions and dinosaur stomps, but for music our ears are more demanding!

I have not heard your sub, just something worth trying!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis