Upgrading Home Theater

D

dansil

Enthusiast
I have a dedicated home theater in the basement. My old InFocus project died so I'm looking to upgrade it and my components to accomodate HD. So, I was considering a dual display (70" Flat screen TV) for causal viewing, gaming... and an overhead projector for Movie/Sporting events. Unfortunately I need to pick only one display. After some analysis and soul searching I'm going toward the projector because I really built the room for a theater experience (I already have a 65" Plasma in our family room so I wanted something different in the basement). The room is 13.5' x 18'. The set-up is JVC-RS45U projector, Yamaha RXA100 receiver, Sony BDPS580 Blu-Ray and I set up with existing 7.1 speakers. I have never seen the JVC-45 in action but it has been recommended to me by a few people and I read alot of positive comments about it. I hoping I'm making the right decision about going with a projector instead of the flat screen and I hope I will be pleased with the set-up I picked. Not replacing my pull down screen just yet, still in good condition. I'm a new member and glad to be here, any comments regarding Flat screen Vs projector or Projector/component are welcome. Thanks

J

Josuah

Senior Audioholic
For the price, you can't get really large screens without going with a front projector. However, you may have to compromise on the projector picture quality if you intend to use it for sporting events, since that usually means a non-dark room and therefore a high-lumen projector. The really high lumen projectors are more like business projectors which don't have the best color fidelity. If you go with a home theater projector, you'll get a pretty washed out picture when the lights are on although switching to a high-lumen output mode can help.

D

dansil

Enthusiast
Projector screen

What's the best way to mate the right screen to the JVC-RS45? Does it also depend if I'm planning on using the projector in total darkest or with some ambient light? I don't see recommendations for screens from projector or screen manufactures based on the projector. Any tips?

J

Josuah

Senior Audioholic
There aren't specific screen recommendations for projectors because it depends on how you plan to use it.

With older projectors that had a lower contrast rating, a grey screen was sometimes desired because it improved black level. But the DLA-RS45 is recent and has a higher contrast ratio so a white screen would work fine.

The screen's reflective coefficient is referred to as gain. A gain of 1.0 is typical for a white screen, but if you plan to have some ambient light you'' probably benefit from higher gain. Higher gain usually comes at the cost of hot spotting which is when the corners/edges of the screen are not as bright as the center area. You may not be very sensitive to this, in which case it wouldn't matter for you. Just don't let anyone point it out to you because then you'll see it every time. :p

In short, if you plan to have ambient light, you'll probably want a white screen with gain higher than 1.0.

D

dansil

Enthusiast
Which Component should I have handle the video processing?

I guess I'm a little confused about determining how to get the best video processing from mulitple components (Blu-Ray, Receiver, projector) which can handle video processing? It seems like almost all the components handle video processing (and up scaling) but how do I know which component should be handling it. Do I have to research and compare all the video processing chips against each other and the component with the best chip set wins? The set-up I'm getting is JVC RS45 projector, Yamaha RXA1000 receiver and Sony BDPS580 Blu-Ray and HD Cable box. The one recommendation I received was to just connect all components to the Receiver (for control purposes) but by-pass the component processing and let the projector do the video processing. Any thoughts on this topic?

J

Josuah

Senior Audioholic
You kind of do. You could just try to make your receiver do all the handling, or your projector, and make your life easy. But you may not get the best picture for all your sources that way.

Finding test results online for the picture processing for your various components is probably the easiest way to find out what to use.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I guess I'm a little confused about determining how to get the best video processing from mulitple components (Blu-Ray, Receiver, projector) which can handle video processing? It seems like almost all the components handle video processing (and up scaling) but how do I know which component should be handling it. Do I have to research and compare all the video processing chips against each other and the component with the best chip set wins? The set-up I'm getting is JVC RS45 projector, Yamaha RXA1000 receiver and Sony BDPS580 Blu-Ray and HD Cable box. The one recommendation I received was to just connect all components to the Receiver (for control purposes) but by-pass the component processing and let the projector do the video processing. Any thoughts on this topic?
I would let the JVC do all the video processing.

But this is mainly on non - 1080p like DVD.

For BD 1080p, it will look great already.

D

dansil

Enthusiast
Throw distance

If a projector has a wide throw distance range are there any advantages to placing the projector as close to the screen as possible within the projectors throw distance range? I was wondering if locating the project closer to the screen may in some way improve brightness, contrast or picture quality?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Generally you should shoot to put the lens about 10% to 25% of the way back from the closest setting. This avoids the extremes of the lens range which is more likely to introduce lens aberrations compared to the middle of the zoom range and it also opens up the aperature allowing a bit more light to pass through and fall onto the screen.

I've kind of missed this thread, but you have some important things that really should be addressed:

1. Paint your room dark. Ceilings, walls, and add dark carpet if you can. If the room isn't dark, the image will never be ideal! $50 in paint is BY FAR the #1 improvement you can make in any theater. (use flat paint)

2. Get your lighting right! It should be a no brainer, but if you want lights on in the room, use directional lights at the back of the room away from the screen. If you can't wire for it now, then hit up Home Depot and Lowes and look for some alternative lighting solutions that allow you to turn the lights on without destroying the image on screen.

EXAMPLE LIGHTING: AV Integrated - Custom Audio Visual Integration In Washington DC Metropolitan Area

3. A minimal gain screen is ideal for 95%+ of installations. I strongly recommend the Carada Criterion in Brilliant White material (1.4 gain) for almost everyone. The screen is built to a very high standard and provides an even viewing surface without hotspotting issues. Hotspotting is rarely an issue in any positive gain screens under 1.5 gain. Only the higher gain screens (2.0+) start to really develop hotspotting issues.

4. The proper product to do scaling is the one which does the best job. I strongly recommend that you use components that offer solid scaling like a Oppo Blu-ray Disc player if you intend to view a lot of DVDs. But, 99% of your content on the projector should be HD to begin with, and leaving that content in the native format all the way to the projector is typically the best way to go.

D

dansil

Enthusiast
Prep Work

I have a dedicated home theater that is approx. 13.5' x 18.5'. The walls are painted a dark burgandy, there is a lighter colored "octagonal" soffet (tray ceiling) that frames a higher level white drop ceiling. I am replacing the flat white ceiling tiles with dimensional dark maroon tiles that will give a coffered ceiling look and the grids will be painted a matching color. Recessed lights are in the soffet surrounding room. The lights are controlled in 2 zones (front and rear) on dimmers which gives me good light control from front to back. I have windows in the adjacent rooms that will recieve window treatments so that I can black them out during day time viewing. I have 102" white matte screen (not sure of the gain) that is slightly recessed within sort of a bay window area (no window), with a cherry wood "window seat" with panels that hides the center channel (the whole thing actually works pretty well to create a stage for the screen). I have a single row of 5 seats approx. 12' from the screen (and a LovSac bean bag that everyone fights over). What I'm not changing right now is the lighter colored carpet and lighter colored seating. My install should be scheduled sometime next week (JVCRS45U/RX-A1010/SonyBDPS580/HDCable/RC remote). Can't wait.

D

dansil

Enthusiast
Very Happy!

Not having auditioned any equipment I was hopeful but not sure what to expect but I have to say my expectations have been exceeded. The JVC RS-45 is nothing short of spactatular (in 2D haven't tried 3D). The Combination of the great picture and sound from the Yamaha RX-1010 with my old Snell speakers really completes the picture. I am still using an old pull down screen 98" wide and I am still waiting on window treatments. I highly recommend this projector at it's price point.:)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis