Upgrading from Pioneer VSX-90TXV

S

SJTrance

Audioholic
I have a Pioneer VSX-90TXV 7.1 receiver and I have an opportunity to get $200 for it. That leaves me to upgrade to another receiver. The annoying this about this receiver is that it doesn't have HDMI audio pass through. I also want to have the HD audio decoding available. I have only two components; a Time Warner cable box and a PS3. I really like the Pioneer experience with this one and wanted to get the VSX-21TXH. I can find this easily available for $499(-$200 I'll be getting for my old one). I also like that the new receiver is iPhone compatible. I'm not sure if it will still charge it while plugged in.

My question is...will I really notice much of a difference upgrading? If not, what else do you guys recommend while still keeping at this same price range? Another thing I wanted to keep in mind is that the receiver must not be too tall. The way I have things setup, it should be no more than 7". I've read about the Denon AVR-1910 having Dolby Pro Logic IIz. Is this a real difference?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hi, I have the VSX-23 and like it, and my buddy has the VSX-21 and posted a review of it last night.

I don't recall noticing much difference with the lossless codecs (e.g. Dolby TrueHD) when I upgraded my VSX-1015 to the VSX-23. I was running optical digital audio to the 1015, but like you I wanted HDMI audio (as well as SACD and DVD-A over HDMI). Some people have noted an improvement with the new lossless codecs, but it wasn't easily apparent to me. I didn't do a comparison between the two, but I didn't notice the angels singing or anything once I connected the VSX-23. There certainly was no reduction in satisfaction, though. :) One huge improvement for me was being able to listen to SACD and DVD-A over HDMI.

I haven't read much about Dolby Pro Logic IIz, but I have yet to read anything that makes me think it's worth getting.

S

SJTrance

Audioholic
Hi, I have the VSX-23 and like it, and my buddy has the VSX-21 and posted a review of it last night.

I don't recall noticing much difference with the lossless codecs (e.g. Dolby TrueHD) when I upgraded my VSX-1015 to the VSX-23. I was running optical digital audio to the 1015, but like you I wanted HDMI audio (as well as SACD and DVD-A over HDMI). Some people have noted an improvement with the new lossless codecs, but it wasn't easily apparent to me. I didn't do a comparison between the two, but I didn't notice the angels singing or anything once I connected the VSX-23. There certainly was no reduction in satisfaction, though. :) One huge improvement for me was being able to listen to SACD and DVD-A over HDMI.

I haven't read much about Dolby Pro Logic IIz, but I have yet to read anything that makes me think it's worth getting.

Hmm...this is making me think. To be totally honest, I'm perfectly happy with my current setup. The sound is awesome and everything is already setup with little to no wires exposed. I am wondering if I need to be upgrading my system at all. I would figure that only when I move would this all be an issue where I would want to re-do the wires. But then, I really would be moving in April.

This unit, as nice as it is, is above my price range and also too tall. One of the bad aspects of living in NYC apartments. lol

Quickley17

Quickley17

Audioholic
Hmm...this is making me think. To be totally honest, I'm perfectly happy with my current setup. The sound is awesome and everything is already setup with little to no wires exposed.
I have the same reciever and if you are happy with it, I see no reason for you to change it immediately. If you think you will want to streamline your system more in the future by getting rid of your optical cables for audio and getting some of the new codecs for audio, keep it until you're ready.

If ready means April when you move, save a little bit for the next 3-4 months so the purchase is that much easier when it comes. By the same token, you may decide in April that you really don't need a new reciever, and then you might have an extra couple hundred dollars to pay for all the random stuff involved in moving.

S

SJTrance

Audioholic
I have the same reciever and if you are happy with it, I see no reason for you to change it immediately. If you think you will want to streamline your system more in the future by getting rid of your optical cables for audio and getting some of the new codecs for audio, keep it until you're ready.

If ready means April when you move, save a little bit for the next 3-4 months so the purchase is that much easier when it comes. By the same token, you may decide in April that you really don't need a new reciever, and then you might have an extra couple hundred dollars to pay for all the random stuff involved in moving.
Sounds like great advice. Thanks for the help everyone. I'm keeping this. It's not like I'm missing anything.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis