upgrading computer sound

J

jayleaf

Audioholic Intern
i have a two part question regarding upgrading sound on my computer.

first would buying a decent audio card be a huge improvement over whatever basic sound card i have in my older desk top computer. would that create a noticable difference in audio quality for any downloaded hi res music or even stuff from my itunes library.

secondly i've been told i can run an optical cable from the new audio card to the back of my denon avr3808ci and should get a high quality playback thru my home theater speakers for hi res music. i realize my itunes library can only be improved so much given the limited quality of the downloads, but hopefully it would sound better than running them thru the receiver direct from my ipod to the jacks in the front of the receiver. the other concern was the receiver handles only flac files if i remember correctly so i'm wondering if the receiver could even play itunes thru the built in dac given that they are not flac files.

i'm pretty new a this so i don't know if i've provided nearly enough info, but i'm wondering if the basic premise is viable and if my concern about playing itunes music thru the receiver is valid. i appreciate that opinions on hi res music vary in the community here, but i've found a couple of them pleasing to my ear. thanks for taking the time to read this and let me know what you think.

Rob

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
When running from a pc to an amplifier I like to use an external DAC, they are very affordable now vs a few years back they were very expensive...

Amazon.com: Audioengine D1 24-bit digital-to-audio converter: Computers & Accessories

This just plugs into your pc's usb port and then has 2 rcas in the back of the unit that plugs into you amplifier or avr inputs, that your speakers plug into...

Are you looking to build a music system for your PC or just looking to use your HT's avr and speakers...

PC music systems are easy to do, grab a d1 dac, Emotiva mini X amp, pair of ascend 200se's, and an HSU stf1 subwoofer.. EZ :)

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
What's your budget, and what are you trying to achieve?

J

jayleaf

Audioholic Intern
at this time my budget is limited, so i'm looking for a reasonably priced internal audio card and a lenth of optical audio cable coming in at a little over a hundred dollars. i'm not looking for high end audio at this time, but an upgrade in sound quality nonetheless. mostly i'd probably just playing music on the computer, but would occasionally like to run it thru my home theater. i've been told this is an inexpensive way to improve overall sound. hopefully when i'm in a better situation financially i would like to upgrade in a more serious fashion but for now it's limited.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hi. If you were using the digital-to-analog conversion of a sound card, then absolutely yes, a separate card can sound better than built-in audio. If you are using the optical digital audio output, then I doubt it will do you any good. Does your desktop already have an optical audio output?

Running an optical cable to your Denon is a good idea. Those cables are really inexpensive anymore (less than $5). Don't worry about what the Denon can decode - your computer will do it for you. You should be able to set it up to output PCM audio that your Denon will be able to play.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Honestly, if you don't have the budget to get up to atleast a Audioengine d1 (170), then I would hold off until you do.
I would start here.. for $100 ish sound system...
just plug it into your pc with a headphone to rca cable.

Amazon.com: 2013 New Version!! Upgraded LP-2020A+ Lepai Tripath Class-T Hi-Fi Audio Mini Amplifier with US Power Supply Black, US Shipping!!!: Electronics
Amazon.com: Pioneer SP-BS22-LR Andrew Jones Designed Bookshelf Loudspeakers: Electronics

That will sound good, I have heard them together and it is audiophile quality and will play at a good volume, much louder than most desk systems should be played...
then you can upgrade from there, add a PE 8" subwoofer for $90 Dayton Audio SUB-800 8" 80 Watt Powered Subwoofer 300-627 with a couple fmods for $50, then add the dac and you will have a serious little system...

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Does your pc has hdmi out? Most modern video cards do?
If so, you can run hdmi cable to your avr
Don't invest lots of money into internal sound card.
It will be wasted money, instead save money to buy better speakers

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
Depending upon who you talk to running optical (or HDMI) from you PC to your receiver will give you most or all of the advantage of a good external DAC.

I've found most integrated sound on computers to be pretty noticeably bad, so there will be improvement to be had by doing this upgrade. If you have HDMI then you can use that right now for full benefit. If not, getting any sound card with optical will do you great. If you're going to run analog audio to the receiver then sound card choice becomes important, and on this I have no advice.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis