Upgrading Center channel ideas

O

ottopookey

Audioholic Intern
HI there- i have the Polk Monitor 70s for the fronts and Polk Monitor Cs10 for the center.

I feel like the center is not performing well enough for me and I'm curious what you guys think that will match well with the rest of my setup.

Looking at the Polk Cs20 for starters but wondering what would be better...

Thanks.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Is the CS20 the matching center to your mains? If so, then that's the right choice.

O

ottopookey

Audioholic Intern
i have the cs10 now, looking at the polk cs20...just curious whats out there thats better than the Cs20

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Well, the problem there is, you want the front three to match for the best sound. So if you are looking for a noticeably better center than the CS20, then I'd be looking to replace all three mains. The CS20 is only going to be a small improvement over the CS10 IMO. No offense, but there are a lot of speakers out there that are better than the Polk Monitor line.

O

ottopookey

Audioholic Intern
damn... ok then..I'll keep the cs10 if there's not much of a difference...

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I went through the same thing when I had my Paradigms. I started with the bottom center and switched to the top one and found that though the larger drivers did help a bit, it didn't give me a big enough improvement to justify the cost. I ended up upgrading to the next line up from there, but that also cost me a lot more money.

O

ottopookey

Audioholic Intern
yup, the old lady will kill me if i do all 3..being that i just got the XV30FSE PSA sub !!!!!

O

ottopookey

Audioholic Intern
i doubt my BB has it...they have the same speakers for the last 5 years...plus w/ no knowledge...

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I feel like the center is not performing well enough for me...
What exactly are you unhappy with regarding your center?

Dialogue not loud enough?

Try increasing the speaker channel level of your center manually by 3dB and see if that improves the dialogue.

O

ottopookey

Audioholic Intern
I'll do some tweaking over the weekend..hoping that might be it, but i think i have it all the way up to begin with..thx

G

GIEGAR

Full Audioholic
I'll do some tweaking over the weekend..hoping that might be it, but i think i have it all the way up to begin with..thx
Otto, do you have the centre channel sitting on top of an entertainment unit or similar? If so, ensure that the centre is pulled right forward to the front edge of the unit; even overhanging a bit if possible. Having the centre channel pushed back on a shelf or unit plays havoc with the "punchy" upper bass/low mid frequencies, and can adversly affect intelligibility of male vocals.

O

ottopookey

Audioholic Intern
yeah its in an entertainment unit but is at the edge of it..I'll pull it out a little more just to see if it helps

thx

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
ottopookey, (geez, I feel funny even typing that), I just went through a situation with my center speaker. I got new Front L/Rs, and the center was from my old set. I'm gonna buck conventional wisdom a bit here. For TV/Movies, I could not notice a mismatch, though the old center is WAY different than my new L/Rs. TV still sounded fine, and movies still sounded fine.

However, there was a HUGE difference in music, using only the L/Rs. The new speakers were amazingly sharper and more clear. So I began to wonder. Maybe a new Center from the same manufacturer would be equally more sharp and clear with voices than my old Center. Sometimes my wife and I have trouble understanding dialog on TV/Movies, so maybe sharper and clearer will help. So I just ordered the new matching Center.

My point is that I never watched TV or a movie and thought, "Oh my!!! That center speaker doesn't sound right with those L/Rs." So while I understand all the timbre matching stuff, I'm not convinced a "mismatched" center is really that big a deal. To me, the big deal is clarity for voices, which is the main use of the center speaker.

So if you think your Center is not clear or detailed enough, by all means look for one that is. You can find a very inexpensive one here: http://philharmonicaudio.com/aa.html
So far as matching your other speakers, I wouldn't worry too much about it. If you get a center that is clear, crisp and detailed, I don't think it will be a problem... other than perhaps encouraging you to upgrade your other speakers at some point. "Wow!!! If voices sound so clear through this center, I bet music will sound as clear through better L/Rs."

O

ottopookey

Audioholic Intern
Ottopookey - Otto is my dogs name and pookey is my wifes nick name....i just put them together.. :)

the specs on these speakers are less that what my polks are...does this matter much?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis