bears_t2

bears_t2

Junior Audioholic
Big question... I'm going to order a new sub by Friday. Ive narrowed it to just 2. The SVS PB-2000 or the HSU VTF-15 Mk2.. I'm pretty sure which 1 I'm getting. Just wanted some feedback about both. My room is roughly 15 feet wide and about 30 feet long open concept living room/ kitchen separated by a bar and a couch at 8 feet from my speakers. I have a Klipsch sub 12 now. I'm going to use just the new sub in here. I know things like the HSU is another 200.00 but the HSU is also more sub too.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The Hsu will have a big performance advantage, but that is to be expected with a more expensive and much larger sub. To put it another way, the PB2000 would have been on the performance level of the VTF3 mk4, and the VTF15h is pretty much twice as powerful with a 6+ dB advantage at 20 hz and above. Well worth the extra money, in my opinion. By the way, the new VTF3 mk5 is nearly as powerful as the VTF15h mk2 and is $120 cheaper after shipping.

bears_t2

bears_t2

Junior Audioholic
I looked at the mk5 I think it is and HSU said that it was not available according to their website. Unless there has been an update on that. Maybe I need to call on Monday.

ATLAudio

ATLAudio

Senior Audioholic
The added cost of the HSU is worth every penny. If the HSU is in your budget, that's the sub I'd go for.

Have you previewed the PSA XV15se? A little cheaper than the HSU and more output.

Best of luck whichever way you go!

bears_t2

bears_t2

Junior Audioholic
Awwwww, now ya made me look and the v1500 looks inviting.. Any one else for the ICE amps instead of the sledge or bash amps... I think the bash would be on bottom. sledge, then ice on top? Or am i blowing smoke?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The XV15se would not have more output than the VTF3 mk5. According to available measurements, the VTF3 outperforms the XV15se. Also, with respect to amps, these topologies have their advantages and disadvantages. BASH amps are a class A/B and D hybrids. ICE and Sledge amps are class D amplifiers. Here is an article that discusses those amplifier classes.

ATLAudio

ATLAudio

Senior Audioholic
The XV15se would not have more output than the VTF3 mk5. According to available measurements, the VTF3 outperforms the XV15se. Also, with respect to amps, these topologies have their advantages and disadvantages. BASH amps are a class A/B and D hybrids. ICE and Sledge amps are class D amplifiers. Here is an article that discusses those amplifier classes.
I forgot about the new versions of the VTF 3, and VTF 15, yes they are vast improvements on the former models according to CEA 2010 measurements. However, the new PSA V1500 has every bit of the output of the VTF 15 mk2.

I'd rather go with the PSA V1500. You're welcome to disagree, but I've done variable tuning before, and with the advent of advanced RC, such as Audyssey I don't think it's all that useful anymore. I just want to plug up the sub, run Audyssey, and be done. That's just me though.

Bash, and Sledge are the Ford and Chevy of sub amps. I've had both and haven't had much bad to say about either. Generally speaking a good sub maker (which PSA and HSU are) will match up the right amp for their design.

Ice is a bit of a new player who PSA is gravitating to. Among other things PSA can get more power per dollar, and have a total system made in the USA (if that means anything to you) which is kinda cool if you ask me.

bears_t2

bears_t2

Junior Audioholic
We must be looking at different sites shadyj. The new PSA site I looked at mentioned some new subs and I spoke to I think tom on chat who let me know all about his new ones. 725 constant-2100 peak watts and he said that the amps are very efficient. Well his words were "green". Let me know if I'm wrong. And again it was the v1500 not the xv15se.

bears_t2

bears_t2

Junior Audioholic
ATL you and Tom at PSA have me almost convinced to get Tom's v1500. Plus the 30 days in house demo almost as good as svs, but this what intrigues me... not that I'll be sending it back after I get it. 5 years warranty and made in the USA. What kind of sub do you have BTW?

ATLAudio

ATLAudio

Senior Audioholic
ATL you and Tom at PSA have me almost convinced to get Tom's v1500. Plus the 30 days in house demo almost as good as svs, but this what intrigues me... not that I'll be sending it back after I get it. 5 years warranty and made in the USA. What kind of sub do you have BTW?
I have a PSA XS15se. I wanted a sealed design and it compares well to the JL Audio E12, and SVS Ultra (sealed) for about half the price. Go to Data-Bass for a comparison.

I've had my mitts on a lot of subs, and what Tom offers at PSA is imo a really, really good deal. When he put out the Ice series subs he broke the mold imo. Also, Tom will bend over backwards to make sure you're happy. Their customer service is top notch.

bears_t2

bears_t2

Junior Audioholic
Well just to let y'all know I've made up my mind and the winners is...... the HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP. I think as I looked at everything considered the HSU was the way to go. Thanks to everyone that commented.

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Congrats, I am waiting just a bit longer till my "toy budget" (money I get from outside consulting) gets a boost (soon i hope) and I would buy same exact sub, but without dipping into main budgets (mortgage, taxes, car lease, food etc...)

Some of recent comments on new PSA subs thread left me with very bad taste. (This is not a recommendation, but my own personal opinion ;))

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis