I can't make up my mind!

Marantz AV7005

Onkyo PR-SC5508

Onkyo TX-NR5008

:confused:

T

templemaners

Senior Audioholic
Well, if you already have a 7 channel amp, the amp section of the 5008 won't do you much good, unless your 770 goes out or you want more than 7 speaker channels.

If I had to pick, I'd probably take the 5508, so I could get MultEQ XT32 and the Sub EQ, but I have no way of knowing if you would want any of those features.

Seriously, if your going to spend $1500+ on a new receiver or processor, you need to do a little more research on your own or give us more to go on with what you are considering (i.e. why those 3 models, what features you are looking for, etc).

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I can't make up my mind!

Marantz AV7005

Onkyo PR-SC5508

Onkyo TX-NR5008

:confused:
I would take a chance on the 5508 for its superior feature set. The 7005 is good looking (to some people), runs cool, quiet, seems reliable so far, but lacking Audyssey XT32, only 5 HDMI inputs at the back, lesser DACs (most likely no resulting audible disadvantage), cannot do DSD, no HDCD decoding, cannot play 192/24 flac, cannot do 192/24 HD MCH and Audyssey XT simultaneously.

If it was my money I would get the Denon 4311 for $1499.99. I believe the Denon will sound as good as those boutique brand products that their owners like to brag about after paying huge premium for their toys. Yes it is too bad Denon won't just yank the 9 internal amps and market them as pre-pros. On the other hand with the 4311 you have the option to sell your 90 lbs Outlaw and then pick up a 2 or 3 channel Parasound, Anthem or Outlaw and you won't know what you missed because the 4311 is capable of driving the surround channels, 8 or 4 ohm speakers.

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
I'll take a good look at the Denon 4311.
The big Onkyo reciever is gathering steam- the amps on it are just a huge bonus- should the Outlaw quit working or I go 9.2 channels. I am somewhat worried about heat with the 990 mamouth and the big Onkyo reciever in the same cabinet- fans are noisy, but a possibility.
I have lots of time, so any suggestions will be evaluated.

Thanks!

T

templemaners

Senior Audioholic
I am somewhat worried about heat with the 990 mamouth and the big Onkyo reciever in the same cabinet- fans are noisy, but a possibility.
If heat is a concern - and it should be with complex electronics in a confined space - I would seriously consider some sort of fan solution, especially if you choose the 5008.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I'll take a good look at the Denon 4311.
The big Onkyo reciever is gathering steam- the amps on it are just a huge bonus- should the Outlaw quit working or I go 9.2 channels. I am somewhat worried about heat with the 990 mamouth and the big Onkyo reciever in the same cabinet- fans are noisy, but a possibility.
I have lots of time, so any suggestions will be evaluated.

Thanks!
The 4311 has a preamp mode so if you are keeping the 990, you could shut off the power amp section of the 4311 to help reduce some heat. If you cannot resolve the heat issue you should consider class D. The HTM top pick Pioneer comes to mind, price is good too. That's if you don't mind not having Audyssey.

http://www.hometheater.com/content/pioneer-elite-sc-37-av-receiver-ht-labs-measures

Again, with this one you don't need the 990 but you may stil need a 2 or 3 channel amp.

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
I purchased this.
Onkyo Integra DHC-80.2 Theater Preamplifier Onkyo
I will keep the Outlaw Audio 770 amp.
The Outlaw Audio Model 990 AVP in abasolute pristine condition will go on sale-if the Integra arrives and lives up to my expectations.

timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
My buddy just bought an Integra 50.2 & with 7 channels driven, the benchtests show its pumpin out 107wpc 8ohm load. Pretty impressive! My RX-A2000 is squeakin out about 65-70wpc with 5 driven. That 80.2 your gettin should do well for you. Integras are known for their robust amp sections. Enjoy!!

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
Your Yamaha AVR is a fine piece of equipment, and the big Emotiva will add a punch- no doubt.

The DHC-80.2 is an Audio Video Processor, it has no amps built in.
I have an Outlaw Model 770 amp, that will handle the amplification.
I can't say anthing bad about either Outlaw Audio or Yamaha products- as my experience wit both brands has been very rewarding!

Thanks

LAB3

LAB3

Senior Audioholic
Your Yamaha AVR is a fine piece of equipment, and the big Emotiva will add a punch- no doubt.

The DHC-80.2 is an Audio Video Processor, it has no amps built in.
I have an Outlaw Model 770 amp, that will handle the amplification.
I can't say anthing bad about either Outlaw Audio or Yamaha products- as my experience wit both brands has been very rewarding!

Thanks
I have been wondering about the DHC-802.2 as I was looking at the UMC-1 and with all the issues and lack of extra cash:( I went with another HD AVR...(Onkyo 805 fried). I like the Outlaw amps
but I keep playing this Yamaha HD AVR on the " Pure Direct" mode and I just don't have to have big amps for the speakers I have. Maybe save for Outlaw amps and use my 1900 as Pre/Pro for now.I have 5.2 for my HT HD Bluray movies. Subs have Bash amps in them so 5 amp Outlaw would be a "Upgrade" extra head room on Bluray Movies...... have to "Use" the AVR amps on HD movies. You asked on the which 3 AVR .......... Marantz. It would be nice if you cold hear them first. I hate buying equipment I have not heard on my speakers and my room set up.

Last edited:
surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
I highly suspect that the Klipsch speakers are very efficient. As a result more amplification may be unnecessary?:)

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
The Onkyo PR-SC5508 AV Preamp is almost identical to the Integra DHC-80.2- if not identical excluding the case and apperance.
I read in one online audio site that the Integra DHC-80.2 sounds better. This is in my opinion B.S.. I own the Integra DHC-80.2 because I got mine refurbished- cost less. I wished the Audioholics would start reviewing stuff again to quell the false information being published.:confused:

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
The Integra DHC-80.2 is blowing my ancient but away. In a good way! I don't recommend this for everyone- because it's a complicated piece of equipment- but if you are willing to learn it, it is simply unreal.:D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis