W

warchant

Audiophyte
So i have an LFM-1+ in my theater room, it occasionally bottoms out and doesn't quite have enough to pressurize my new room. Thinking about getting the new HSU sub, using that for LFE and hooking the outlaw to L & R mains. Probably cross the HSU at 40 (receiver) and the outlaw at 60 (sub). Any thoughts should this work, or only cause problems? thanks

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Those are pretty mismatched subs. The Hsu's performance is so far beyond the Outlaw that I think the only way the LFM is going to make a meaningful contribution is if you ran it in max output mode in near field placement, sort of like a mid bass subwoofer, like Hsu's MBM-12. You also have to balance both subs output, to make sure the LFM can keep up with the VTF15H without being over-taxed while not letting its limitations handicap the performance of the VTF15H. I would say it's worth a try, and if it doesn't work, just sell the Outlaw, the VTF15 alone probably has more than enough output for your room. Also I think it would be a crime to crossover the Hsu so low when, according to Hsu's measurements it's capable of "123-125dB max clean CEA2010 peak output capability from 40-100Hz". I don't know what speakers you have, but I'm guessing that is a lot more slam in the mid bass and upper bass range than what they can provide.

W

warchant

Audiophyte
I have the SALK songtowers, some of my thought is to give them a little added bass when playing 2 ch music in direct mode. I was worried about them being mismatched and trying to achieve close to what you were talking about. What crossover points would you recommend to have the Outlaw function as a Mid-bass module?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I would say it's cross over points should be just above it's max output mode tuning point (25 hz I believe) and 70 to 80 hz, which ever produces the least amount of localization. But that is just a couple decent starting points by which you should experiment. Honestly I wouldn't want it to even try to tackle the deep stuff, like below 30 hertz. Perhaps, like you said before, you could wire your speakers through the Outlaw so it hits the same high pass filter that they do, providing you are running them as "small" speakers (which you should be anyway, as they only look to extend down to 42 hz before dropping off). Then use its internal low pass crossover to where ever sounds best to you. That is one way of making it into a mid bass subwoofer. I think it is an idea worth playing around with anyway. But, like I said before, the best way to use it in this manner is in near field placement, you don't want this thing trying to compete with the VTF15H. Hopefully the room correction mode on whatever receiver you have can deal with all the phazes, so that cancellation is kept to a minimum.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis