Upgrade Suggestions Onkyo HTiB for Complete Noob

H

htibnoob

Audiophyte
Hi all,

I recently moved to a new place and figured now would be a good time to upgrade my existing HTiB. I have the Onkyo HT-SR800 7.1 Home Theater in a box (http://www.cnet.com/products/onkyo-ht-sr800/, http://www.ebay.com/itm/ONKYO-AV-RECEIVER-MODEL-HT-R550-WITH-SPEAKERS-Sub-And-Remote-HT-SR800-/252450487067?hash=item3ac738bb1b:g:d14AAOSw1DtXK2qQ) and kind of hate it to be honest. I feel the audio isn't very clear. I'm trying to figure out what the most sensible course of action is.

Here's a picture of the room: https://postimg.org/image/988mwl6h3/. I got the TV wall mounted and ran banana plug connectors (2 in the front, 2 in the back). The center speaker will be on top of the stand. I will be dropping down from a 7.1 to a 5.1. I have two sliding glass doors to the right, and an open kitchen to the left. I realize audio will not be great in this room. I'm looking for something that looks good and sounds decent.

My current plan:
- toss the Onkyo receiver and replace with a friends hand-me-down Pioneer VSX-1021-K 7.1 receiver.
- toss the center speaker, replace with something better
- toss front left, right speakers. For the left/right front speakers wall mount them.
- keep back left, right Onkyo surround speakers. Use a standardized mounting kit for when I replace them
- keep the current Onkyo subwoofer

Additional requirements:
- ideal budget $500-$600 including mounts
- I don't know where the studs are near the banana plug connectors. I would rather mount really light front\back speakers. Again using a standardized mounting bracket in case I make changes going forward
- I live in a townhome, I think speakers mounts that stick out of the wall will be less noise for the neighbors than something that is either in wall, or drywall screw mounted
- since I already ran the banana plugs, I don't want to use a speaker that has proprietary connectors

Questions:
1) Does my plan make sense?
2) What speakers would you recommend for center, front left\right?
3) What mounts do you recommend to minimize annoying the neighbors?

Thanks in advance, I appreciate it.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
If that's your final budget, you might no get the upgrade your looking for in HT. The sub you have will drag down everything. Maybe take the 600 and upgrade your sub then add new speakers when you can. Also is there a rug in the room?

H

htibnoob

Audiophyte
Thank you for the quick response.

Yikes. I didn't realize the sub was the issue. There isn't a rug in the room but there will be something eventually. How much would you recommend spending on a decent sub? Again being in a townhome I figure less sub would be better...

I'm just at a point where I really don't want to wall mount my existing Onkyo front left/right speakers due to their size, weight, look etc. Would you recommend possibly upgrading the sub, and using the smaller surround speakers as fronts? So all front\back left\right speakers would be the same? Or is that a bad idea? Sorry if that's a dumb question, I am a noob. Thanks again.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Less spl, maybe be better but you don't want distortion , any descent sub will start at around 499 then go to unlimited depending on how low, how much spl and fit n finish. This thread can recommend speakers on a budget. From you description about clarity, I'd say it was the sub struggling to keep up, and assuming your crossover was over 100hz. If you can up the budget to 1k you have a much better shot at a justified upgrade. One thing to keep in mind with wall mounted speakers you want front ported or sealed.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
They just posted this the other day: http://www.audioholics.com/bookshelf-speaker-reviews/200-speaker-round-up

I can speak for the Sony's and Affordable Accuracy Monitors as being excellent for the money - coupled with a sub these will beat many speakers costing thousands!

Given your budget, I'd opt for the AA monitors as they have remarkable bass for their size. They will be a revelation compared to what you've been listening to! And the bass should keep you satisfied until you can afford a decent sub.

I'll reiterate that by saying on-wall/in-wall speakers are not going to help your goal of minimizing sound transmission through walls. Get bookshelf speakers and put them on stands.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Thank you for the quick response.

Yikes. I didn't realize the sub was the issue. There isn't a rug in the room but there will be something eventually. How much would you recommend spending on a decent sub? Again being in a townhome I figure less sub would be better...
You can get a pair of speaker stands for under $75

For a tight budget - the Dayton sub will be an OK option
http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-sub-1200-12-120-watt-powered-subwoofer--300-629

Something like the Sony Core speakers will be a big step up for you.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-core-series-5-3-way-bookshelf-speakers-pair-black/5721014.p?id=1219148662428&skuId=5721014

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-SSCS5-3-Driver-Bookshelf-Speaker/dp/B00O8YLMVA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1467932176&sr=8-1&keywords=Sony++Core+bookshelf

H

htibnoob

Audiophyte
Thank you so much for the responses. I really appreciate it.

The same friend who gave me his receiver has two subwoofers that he's not using. I will find out about them and report back.

Regarding not wall-mounting the speakers, doh, I should of asked this forum before I had the banana plugs put in. I agree that speaker stands would be more logical to avoid annoying the neighbors. It won't look as cool (especially with how I have the banana plug plate so high up), but I'd rather avoid issues.

So my plan now is:
- upgrade to the Pioneer receiver, and my friend's subwoofer
- upgrade to the Sony Core (I liked the look of them over the AA) speakers for front left\right, center
- buy two speaker stands for the front (I own two already)
- use the existing Onkyo speakers for the back, place on speaker stands

Thank you again for all your help.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
OP's setup:

Your setup is not well aliened. Put the receiver under on the 2nd or third shelf. You should never ever put anything on top of it. Leave the center speaker on top. I would keep the receiver and get new speakers and a 2 Dayton 1200 subs.

Plus you need stands: https://www.amazon.com/VideoSecu-Adjustable-Satellite-Speaker-MS07B/dp/B000VRREPG/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1467941308&sr=8-5&keywords=Speaker+stands

Examples how it should be setup:

or

You can look at more setup's here: http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/audio/pros-and-joes-systems-gallery.13/

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Your htib has a relatively decent receiver. First thing I'd upgrade is a much more capable sub, can go a long ways for improving modest speakers. You probably just need to setup what you have better and have some furnishings to have your room help out to start before making decisions on gear.

Your particular room is a big part of what you hear, as well as speaker placement for your listening position(s). Your speakers are poorly placed as you have them now on that bare floor; suggestions for stands are probably good, depending if they are actually suitable for wall mounting (didn't look them up) and are not rear-ported or anything? Sitting on the floor like that with your center on the avr, not so much.

Don't block airflow to your avr as was noted, that can kill it good, agree with the move it down one shelf suggestion. The center should be placed so it does not reflect off the shelf, so place it at the edge and angle it up at your listening position, a number of household objects can do quite well helping with the angling thing.

Try some changes and rerun the auto setup routine then start to make some judgments for gear....

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Afterlife is correct. You will want the speakers at a height such that the tweeters are level with your ears where you are normally seated. You will want to aim the speakers to be facing the listener rather than facing straight ahead. You will want to give the speakers a stand-off distance from the walls- I would give them a couple feet from both the side-walls and back wall. You will want the speakers to form an equilateral triangle with you as the listener, where there is as much distance between the speakers as there is from the listening position (this is only for the front left and right speaker, not surround speakers or center speaker) thereby forming a triangle with all sides the same length. While you can still achieve a nice sound without following all these placement principles, these are typical for optimizing speaker performance in normal rooms.

H

htibnoob

Audiophyte
Some updates: my buddy offered to give me his entire Polk Audio RM6750 5.1 Channel Home Theater Speaker System (https://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-RM6750-Channel-Theater/dp/B0002WTK4S/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8). The manufacture date says 2011. He also has a Klipsch RW8 subwoofer from ~2003 that I can take as well. I wasn't able to find much info on it, reviews seem mostly meh.

My new plan:
1) Swap out all speakers for the Polk Audio ones. Even if this is a lateral move audio-wise, my existing Onkyo speakers are pretty beat up.
2) My three existing sub options seem bad (Onkyo skw-550, Polk Audio RM6750, Klipsch rw8). Drop some money here for a new sub.
3) Buy two more stands (I have two already).
4) Use the Pioneer VSX-1021-K receiver listed above.
5) Make the changes Afterlife recommended regarding positioning of receiver, center channel speaker etc.

I think this will give me the most effective bang for the buck. Other than that, just a bit bummed about not wall mounting the speakers due to annoying townhome neighbors.

Thank you all again for your wonderful advice.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
An HTiB to any other HTiB is a lateral move. Glad your friend is not charging you, but you really should go out and audition some of the speakers listed. The AA monitors will provide almost as much useful bass as the 'subs' you listed.

High quality audio need not break the bank, thats a misnomer. But a lack of truly comprehensive specs by manufacturer's has us all guessing, until we listen and measure ourselves!

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Some updates: my buddy offered to give me his entire Polk Audio RM6750 5.1 Channel Home Theater Speaker System (https://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-RM6750-Channel-Theater/dp/B0002WTK4S/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8). The manufacture date says 2011. He also has a Klipsch RW8 subwoofer from ~2003 that I can take as well. I wasn't able to find much info on it, reviews seem mostly meh.
Well, it will at least be better than your TV speakers

Time will tell if you can live with them

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord

My new plan:
1) Swap out all speakers for the Polk Audio ones. Even if this is a lateral move audio-wise, my existing Onkyo speakers are pretty beat up.
2) My three existing sub options seem bad (Onkyo skw-550, Polk Audio RM6750, Klipsch rw8). Drop some money here for a new sub.
3) Buy two more stands (I have two already).
4) Use the Pioneer VSX-1021-K receiver listed above.
5) Make the changes Afterlife recommended regarding positioning of receiver, center channel speaker etc.

I think this will give me the most effective bang for the buck. Other than that, just a bit bummed about not wall mounting the speakers due to annoying townhome neighbors.

Thank you all again for your wonderful advice.
You should be ok with the Polk speakers for now. I still recommend getting The Dayton 1200 subwoofers to even out the room. Please post pics when you get setup everything. We are here to help! Also make sure the center speaker tweeter is dead center with your TV logo.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Also try to put a couple of lifts underneath the center like this:

H

htibnoob

Audiophyte
Hey all,

Here's a quick update. I made the changes mentioned above. I swapped out my Onkyo speakers for my friend's Polk Audio RM6750 speakers, my receiver for a Pioneer VSX-1021-K 7.1 receiver, and the sub is Polk Audio RM6750. I put the speakers on stands.

Overall I am much happier with the audio. Please let me know if you have any advice. Thanks in advance.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Once you have a rug in run the auto setup again but just keep the speaker settings and just use the eq and advanced eq options and it will keep improving. Again make sure all speakers to small , sub crossover around 120hz. Have fun

Hey all,

Here's a quick update. I made the changes mentioned above. I swapped out my Onkyo speakers for my friend's Polk Audio RM6750 speakers, my receiver for a Pioneer VSX-1021-K 7.1 receiver, and the sub is Polk Audio RM6750. I put the speakers on stands.

Overall I am much happier with the audio. Please let me know if you have any advice. Thanks in advance.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Looks good. Just bring down the 4 stands to ear level. Also put the speaker upside down so the tweeter hits your ear better. Get a cheap door rug from Walmart or dollar store and put it under the subwoofer.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis